Anyone ever take carnitine supplements?

LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Weight Room
Ive been hearing about them quite a bit. Ive been clockin more hours and have some
Money to blow on some new supplements. Anybody on here ever try carnitine? Did you notice a reduction in body fat when you did? Ive heard that theoretically it is supposed to help ppl use fat stores for fuel but this idea is not supported by science (yet)

Comments

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    YES I HAVE, for a cheap and effective burner stack Carnitine with Caffeine pill and green tea pill. Carnitine will break down the fat in your body when you running, weight training or doing in type cardio or fitness for the body like boxing, mma, weightligting and dieting and move it to the part of your body where it will burn your fat as fuel

L-carnitine is synthesized in the body from the amino acids lysine and methionine. Regardless of what your bodybuilding and fitness goals are, your chances of success will increase greatly if you have l-carnitine in your arsenal.
    By: Roger Lockridge
    Dec 21, 2010

Article Summary:
    L-carnitine is a great product for you to take regardless of your goal.
    L-carnitine can benefit your heart, bone mass, and much more.
    You can get l-carnitine from many foods as well as supplements.

11 Super Side Effects From Taking L-Carnitine

L-carnitine is synthesized in the body from the amino acids lysine and methionine. Regardless of what your bodybuilding and fitness goals are, losing fat or gaining muscle, your chances of success will increase greatly if you have l-carnitine in your supplement arsenal. Studies focusing on how carnitine works have been done as far back as 1937. Let's take a look at some of the benefits that l-carnitine can have on your goals and your health.

1. Fat Loss

If you are looking to get lean, then this is the amino acid you need. L-carnitine transfers long-chain fatty acids, such as triglycerides into mitochondria, where they may be oxidized to produce energy. Carnitine has also been shown to reduce fatigue and serve as an appetite suppressant as well. Therefore, l-carnitine would be a major asset to have in your arsenal when you are dieting. It not only will help keep your body from storing fat, but it will increase your aerobic capacity to help you burn more calories.

L-Carnitine Will Not Only Help Keep You From Storing
    Fat, But It Will Increase Your Aerobic Capacity.

2. Muscle Mass

L-carnitine is also a great weapon for hardgainers looking to pack on muscle. Supplementing with l-carnitine can help you increase your strength and heavier weights mean bigger muscles in the long run.

3. Bone Mass

Aging bone loss is a major concern of many senior citizens and post-menopausal women. Of course this can lead to increased chances of fractures, osteoporosis, and arthritis among other bone diseases. Fortunately, by taking l-carnitine, you can slow down the bone loss process and improve bone micro structural properties by decreasing bone turnover.

Taking L-Carnitine Can Slow Down The Bone
    Loss Process And Improve Bone Micro Structure.

4. Heart Conditions

Carnitine is primarily used for heart-related conditions. Several clinical trials show that L-carnitine can be used along with conventional treatment for angina to reduce the needs for medicine and improve the ability of those with angina to exercise without chest pain or discomfort. Some studies have determined that taking l-carnitine after a heart attack decreases the chances of suffering another one later. Carnitine has actually been given to help treat people with heart disease.

5. Kidney Treatment

Your kidneys produce carnitine so naturally when people have been diagnosed or may have kidney disease, carnitine is recommended to help make up for the deficiency of carnitine that your kidneys aren't producing.

6. Male Infertility

For those men that have been trying to have children and have low sperm counts, carnitine has been suggested and shown to help improve both sperm count and quality sperm.

If You're Trying To Have Children, Carnitine Has
    Been Shown To Improve The Quality And Count Of Sperm.

7. Women Who Breast Feed

New mothers who choose to breast feed normally do so in part because of the number of calories it burns, but one side effect is it lowers your body's amount of carnitine. Even though you are sufficient in it while you are pregnant, taking extra carnitine can help prevent your body from being deficient. Combining both the breast feeding and the carnitine means that new moms will lose that baby weight faster.

8. Type II Diabetes

People that have Type II diabetes can also benefit from carnitine supplementation. Taking L-carnitine helps diabetics by increasing glucose oxidation, glucose storage, as well as glucose uptake.

L-Carnitine Helps Diabetics By Increasing Glucose
    Oxidation, Glucose Storage, And Glucose Uptake.

9. Immune System

L-carnitine serves as an antioxidant that can help prevent damage done to your healthy cells by free radicals. This can help you out when you have a cold or are dealing with various seasonal allergies and training.

10. Brain Function

Seniors that can use something to help improve brain function has more than just gingko biloba to take. L-carnitine helps protect the brain from both age related and stress related damage to the brain which helps it function longer and better.

L-Carnitine Helps Protect The Brain From
    Both Age Related And Stress Related Damage.

11. Antidote To Valproic Acid Poisoning

Although it may not be a bodybuilding issue, there are thousands of documented cases of valproic acid ingested every year. Despite not being able to serve as a total antidote on its own, taking l-carnitine is considered to help you if for some reason you do suffer from this dangerous poisoning.

What Is Valproic Acid?
    Valproic acid (VPA) is a chemical compound that has found clinical use as an anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizing drug, primarily in the treatment of epilepsy, bipolar disorder, and, less commonly, major depression. It is also used to treat migraine headaches and schizophrenia. It is marketed under the brand names Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakene, Depacon, Depakine and Stavzor.

How Much Do I Take And How Can I Take It?

Generally, taking a range of two to four grams of l-carnitine a day is good for general health and to help you reach your fitness goals. L-carnitine does come in capsules, tablets, and liquid form. There are many types of carnitine products found at the Bodybuilding.com store. If you would rather try to take it through your food, there are many food sources that contain carnitine. Red meats and dairy products are your best choices for carnitine, but other great foods include nuts, seeds, artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, garlic, mustard greens, okra, parsley, kale, apricots, bananas, bee pollen, brewer's yeast, buckwheat, corn, oatmeal, rice bran, rye, and whole wheat.
  • LUClEN
    ? i did not know carnitine was that good for the body. I need to get some ASAP

I currently drink a lot of unsweetend green tea, i'm not sure if I need the green tea pills, i may get some if i can find them for cheap though.

As for Carinitine supplements, what brands are good?
  • waterproof
    RodrigueZz wrote: »

I currently drink a lot of unsweetend green tea, i'm not sure if I need the green tea pills, i may get some if i can find them for cheap though.

for the bang for your buck (No Greek) Dymatize L-Carnitine Xtreme, 60 Capsules for 9.99 at bodybuilding.com because they can get expensive
  • LUClEN
    waterproof wrote: »

for the bang for your buck (No Greek) Dymatize L-Carnitine Xtreme, 60 Capsules for 9.99 at bodybuilding.com because they can get expensive

I actually copped some a few minutes ago off their site: 180 500mg capsules for 33.99...but they have buy one get one free so the order came with 4 bottles for 79 bucks with international shipping.
  • waterproof
    waterproof wrote: »

I actually copped some a few minutes ago off their site: 180 500mg capsules for 33.99...but they have buy one get one free so the order came with 4 bottles for 79 bucks with international shipping.

that's a good look if you take 2caps per day that should last you 6 months. what other supplements your are taking...is your diet in check.

take the 1st cap in the morning with another fat burner on an empty stomach 30 before breakfast to get the furnace going
  • LUClEN
    When i get home i think im gonna modify the order to add green tea extract as well , they have a buy 3 get 1 free deal goin on those. I already drink coffee so im not sure if adding caffeine to the stack will make much difference.

Right now i take whey isolate post workout, omega and multivitamin in the morning and at night, and vitamin c during the day usually with a meal.
  • waterproof
    When i get home i think im gonna modify the order to add green tea extract as well , they have a buy 3 get 1 free deal goin on those. I already drink coffee so im not sure if adding caffeine to the stack will make much difference.

Right now i take whey isolate post workout, omega and multivitamin in the morning and at night, and vitamin c during the day usually with a meal.

what??? bodybuilding.com got those sells going on, damn i heading over to the site and placing some orders.

your supplements is solid and a strong base you got your protein, omega's vitamin c's that have a multiple of benefits from raising your test levels, fat burning and protecting the body from sickness and i cant stress how much multivitamins are important, that's the foundation
  • LUClEN
    I've been taking my carnitine for about a month now
    i was noticing little to no change, so I upped my dosage

Now I have noticed something really worrying: Whenever i go hard in the gym, i feel nauseous.

The other day I vomited, but it was nothing but liquid as all i had in my stomach was coffee at that point (morning cardio ftw)

I checked out the side effects for L-Carnitine and nausea/vomiting fits the bill

So my question for anyone who has experienced this: how did you deal with it?
    Is there a certain amount of time I should wait between popping some carnitine and working out?
  • waterproof
    I've been taking my carnitine for about a month now
    i was noticing little to no change, so I upped my dosage

Now I have noticed something really worrying: Whenever i go hard in the gym, i feel nauseous.

The other day I vomited, but it was nothing but liquid as all i had in my stomach was coffee at that point (morning cardio ftw)

I checked out the side effects for L-Carnitine and nausea/vomiting fits the bill

So my question for anyone who has experienced this: how did you deal with it?
    Is there a certain amount of time I should wait between popping some carnitine and working out?

first of all how's your diet and cardio??? you have to be on point with it, you cant be ? up and eating bad on the weekend or every other day.

do atleast 30-40 min bouts of cardio a day and diet on point.

Recommendations

Stoppani recommends taking l-carnitine three to four times daily, 30 minutes before meals. Optimal times to take carnitine include with breakfast, before a workout, after a workout and/or with a night meal. Carnitine does not exert any stimulant effects, so you can take it within three to five hours of bedtime without losing sleep.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/293038-amount-of-l-carnitine-to-take-for-optimum-fat-burning/#ixzz2GNT8Yymu
  • LUClEN
    My diet fell off for the holidays - i indulged heavy in them goodies.
    That might be why.

My cardio is usually split up, i like starting and ending with cardio. Should I be keeping it all together?
  • waterproof
    My diet fell off for the holidays - i indulged heavy in them goodies.
    That might be why.

My cardio is usually split up, i like starting and ending with cardio. Should I be keeping it all together?

if you have time, try doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, then after your workout do another bout of cardio..and take one serving of the supplement before you work out also
  • LUClEN
    I decreased dosage amounts and increased frequency of consumption and the nausea wnrt away.

Morning cardio is goat
    Hard to find time for it though