Who do ya'll consider the greatest "over-achiever'' in hiphop history?

1235»

Comments

• almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    a lotta these ? are just lucky or you guys are forgetting they had a machine behind them + the climate of hip hop
    Eminem- Dr. Dre & Jimmy Iovines goldent egg. It would take an actual effort for him NOT to succeed

Jeezy- One of Jay-Z's first siginings as Pres. of Def Jam (machine); Ushered in the whole "it doesnt matter if i cant rap, i have hot beats and 'really lived that life' " + Southern Mainstream Explosion

dont count these guys. I'd put
    Beanie Sigel- Roc A Fella wasnt (& wouldnt be) hot or a go to label w/o him. He had no business approaching gold
    T.I.
    Master P
    3 6 Mafia
    Wale- dude shoulda been dude in the water after Attention Deficit
    oddly enough- Nore, bul is complete garbage & stayed afloat for about 6 years

I was trying to make this point for half the thread. ? don't give a ? if you're nice if you don't have a company backing you up. That's the difference between a dude performing in train stations and performing at MSG.

i think u & Marine both made great point & i cant put my finger on exactly where it stops & the difference is. I see 7 agree with both perspectives b/c it always varies. But some people are built from the ground up with an obvious interest from the label & advertising & their success should shock no one.
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    How are we disrespecting the heritage if we're comparing 2 emcees from the same era? Talk about catching feelings.
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Jim Jones....nobody saw him doing what he has. And soldja boy both got no talent rapping but had some success
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Puffy as well... cant rap but found ? who could and ? em...
  • Fairfax
    Fairfax Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Jay Z, when Pac & Big were alive no one was checking for Jay Z. After they died, the east coast based media (MTV, The Source) were looking for a rapper to anoint as the next great thing and that person was Jay Z. People bought into it and started riding Jay Z hard, especially the online community. The man with a decent amount of good songs and a few overrated albums sure made the most out of it.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welp, lil wayne has already been said so......lil wayne
  • Fairfax
    Fairfax Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Snoop Dogg and young jeezy

Snoop is a good choice, ? is the only good album he have ever released.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a lotta these ? are just lucky or you guys are forgetting they had a machine behind them + the climate of hip hop
    Eminem- Dr. Dre & Jimmy Iovines goldent egg. It would take an actual effort for him NOT to succeed

Jeezy- One of Jay-Z's first siginings as Pres. of Def Jam (machine); Ushered in the whole "it doesnt matter if i cant rap, i have hot beats and 'really lived that life' " + Southern Mainstream Explosion

dont count these guys. I'd put
    Beanie Sigel- Roc A Fella wasnt (& wouldnt be) hot or a go to label w/o him. He had no business approaching gold
    T.I.
    Master P
    3 6 Mafia
    Wale- dude shoulda been dude in the water after Attention Deficit
    oddly enough- Nore, bul is complete garbage & stayed afloat for about 6 years

Exactly..@ the bolded. That's the whole point. It takes more than just a starpower/it factor.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p ain't a overachiever, that ? is the businessman yall wish jay-z and 50 cent were
    first rap ? to 100 million
    amd_oprah-obama.jpg
  • GlockTown
    GlockTown Members Posts: 1
    Fairfax wrote: »
    Jay Z, when Pac & Big were alive no one was checking for Jay Z. After they died, the east coast based media (MTV, The Source) were looking for a rapper to anoint as the next great thing and that person was Jay Z. People bought into it and started riding Jay Z hard, especially the online community. The man with a decent amount of good songs and a few overrated albums sure made the most out of it.

• ILLBOT
    ILLBOT Posts: 911 My Name Is My Name.
    ILL BOT DETECTED BANNED ALIAS
    REASON: BlueDreamPiff

USER BANNED
    GlockTown
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LV_Don wrote: »
    three-6-mafia-frayser-boy.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/31/jay-z-the-great-gatsby-rapper-score-film-adaptation_n_2388948.html

Seems like Jay Z is in the process of getting one as well. I read somewhere that he's working on a soundtrack for the movie The Great Gatsby with songs he already did and some new songs we probably haven't heard.

this my ? off 2k13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMPF6lpM0XM
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Alicia Keys
    I don't know how dude is relevant. I don't know one beat where I'm like this ? has the talent to be *insert famous producers* status... Does dude even have ? biting is style or paying homage?

Rappers?
    Fat Joe, Ja, Weezy, Dipset...
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ocelot wrote: »
    Mr. Alicia Keys
    I don't know how dude is relevant. I don't know one beat where I'm like this ? has the talent to be *insert famous producers* status... Does dude even have ? biting is style or paying homage?

Rappers?

In Swizz's defense, he did usher in an era of original beatmaking when most of music was disco loops. Son was Lex Luger of his time... a bit repetitive, but the beats were hard as ? .
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    ocelot wrote: »
    Mr. Alicia Keys

Rappers?

In Swizz's defense, he did usher in an era of original beatmaking when most of music was disco loops. Son was Lex Luger of his time... a bit repetitive, but the beats were hard as ? .

Now that I think about it youre right... Dude was the late 90s Lex... Still an over achiever tho.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i remember telling ? Swizz was the original Lex Luger & they would just stare at me till i broke it down. No East Coast producer was makin original/unsampled beats.
    What would that make Jahlil Beatz- Rockwilder??
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i remember telling ? Swizz was the original Lex Luger & they would just stare at me till i broke it down. No East Coast producer was makin original/unsampled beats.
    What would that make Jahlil Beatz- Rockwilder??

hmmmmm maybe. whatever happened to Rockwilder?

Swizz beatz spent a lot of time in ATL which influenced his beats