Who was the biggest group of the mid 90's bone thugs, the wu or fugees?

13»

Comments

• Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Wu Tang owned the 90s.....

Wu >>>>>>> Deathrow >>>>>>>Badboy
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Shiiit, Bone Thugs & Fugees (to lesser extent) were one hit wonders. Wu were cultural phenomenon. They took world by storm with whole new hip-hop vibe, variety of styles and individualists, tons of classic material that still sounds fresh today. There is no comparision!

this brother knows his hiphop
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Shiiit, Bone Thugs & Fugees (to lesser extent) were one hit wonders. Wu were cultural phenomenon. They took world by storm with whole new hip-hop vibe, variety of styles and individualists, tons of classic material that still sounds fresh today. There is no comparision!
    Dapz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited October 2011

Bone and the fugues were 1 hit wonders lol. Bone dropped thuggish ruggish bone, foe da luv of money, 1st of da month, east 1999 (single), crossroads, days of our lives.

Fugees had nappy heads, Fu gee la, killing me softly, ready or not
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    wow good ass thread I want to say the fugees b/c i think they had more mainstream success plus they had a female int he group that gave them more shine and appeal. But dame thuggish ruggish bone hit the scene and changed up the rap game. that ? was on the box non stop. 1st of the month cross roads they just kept dropping bangers. Wu was on point too but i don't think they were as massively loved and had massive hits like the fugees and bone. Wu definitely won in the long run
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Street Wise and influence on the culture i would have to say the Wu. Never was there a group of that size with every member having above average talent. Nobody had heard of Groups signing on one label but still being able to sign individual contracts with other labels, it was unheard of at the time.

Mainstream Wise it would have to be The Fugees.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    wow good ass thread I want to say the fugees b/c i think they had more mainstream success plus they had a female int he group that gave them more shine and appeal. But dame thuggish ruggish bone hit the scene and changed up the rap game. that ? was on the box non stop. 1st of the month cross roads they just kept dropping bangers. Wu was on point too but i don't think they were as massively loved and had massive hits like the fugees and bone. Wu definitely won in the long run

imo the wu peak in 97 with the wu tang forever album, which was also their last good group album. honestly its hard to say which group actually won in the long run because individual members had some shelf life (ghost, rza, ? , rae) (wyclef) (krayzie bone)
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Wu Tang of course....
  • uhfg7f49
    uhfg7f49 Members Posts: 15
    Wu Tangggg the best ever
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    When the Wu dropped in 93 I was 20 years old. Method Man was the first joint they dropped, then "the Mystery of Chess Boxing' exploded. Wu were everywhere, when we went overseas all we heard was Wu. Came back to the states Wu, Bone did they thing too. But I was in Cali when Wu dropped and they were bumping that ? out there, so them being just heard on the east coast is ? because I was out west, i'm not going by what I think, I was there. Even when I went to Mississippi in 1995 they were bumping Wu, but Bone was heavily played too. The Fugees did'nt really peak until 96. I knew about the Fugess but they were unknown to a lot of people until the Score dropped.

And when the Wu dropped C.R.E.A.M. it was serious business.
  • maestro_lungs
    maestro_lungs Members Posts: 255
    Bone thugs wins Biggest in Terms of sales, Followed by The Fugees. For Me Though As a Hip Hop Head nothing beats the Wu. Bone & The Fugees did alot more Harmony & Singing Than Actual Rapping. Wu Tang was Hip Hop Stripped down to it's Basics...Yea I'm Have to go with the Wu!
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay when I was a kid..Wu dropped Enter the 36 Chambers and cats was on it. C.R.E.A.M. was everywhere but for the longest time it was the only Wu- song I heard, some people listed to Proteck Ya Neck and Mystery of Chessboxing. Cats didn't really rock with the Fugees that much, they were way too conscious. However BONE? ? I heard that ? everywhere. When Creepin Up On Ah Come Up dropped No Surrender & Thuggish Ruggish Bone was fish grease in the hood.

Now for my personal opinion I pick Bone as a collective. My reasoning is if you look at Bone's work they had Creepin (1994), E.1999 (1995) and Art Of War in (1997) and that's not mentioning the amount of singles they dropped, they clearly dominated as the group of the 90s.

Wu as a collective disappeared for a few years after Enter The 36 Chambers. There was a massive amount of critically acclaimed solo material but we are talking groups right, so I'm guessing we should be discussing group albums. They only had 2 albums in the whole 10 year span.

The Fugees, rather Lauryn Hill, made a big impact and the crew was strong. I definitely feel The Score is one of the best hip hop albums of the decade. However they only had the one great album.
    Hell, Naughty By Nature should be mentioned more than The Fugees for that reason alone.

And to add to this: Bone was a much hated on group during the 90s. 3-6 Mafia, Twista, Do or Die, Crucial Conflict, Psychodrama, Dogg Pound all took shots at them. That type of ? only happens when you on top.

They were also a beloved group too, they did tracks with some of the hottest rap acts of the 90s: Master P, Biggie, 2Pac, and of course Eazy-E. They were literally well represented all across the country.
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamaica wrote: »
    ok as far as total sales i think fugees have 2 diamond albums to there name
    and far as most albums
    wu tang was dropping like crazy
    as far as bone they had a few grammys ama and a whole bunch of stuff the smart guess is wu fugees where on the level where bep is now they was another level
    but my personal chioce was bone thugs i was an addict to there music back then

i specifically named 94-96 because those groups had their most success in that 3 year span

But, you're forgetting Wu-tang Forever dropped in 97 so you're leaving out their most successful album, sales wise. 8.3 mill aint diamond, but it's damn close.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wu was the best but I dont think it was until Wu Forever (97) that you can say they were the biggest, theres no clear cut winner between fugees and bone as far as who was bigger, thats a close battle, but I'll have to give it to Bone because I remember that East 1999 album just seemed more in demand around my way, that album sucks to me but everyone had that ?
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • peterpiffin
    peterpiffin Members Posts: 285 ✭✭
    wu tang. first ? i seen rocking gold grills.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Midwest would likely say bone, the east would say Wu. Haiti would probably say Fugees
  • Limewater
    Limewater Members Posts: 4
    tumblir_mamqf7CyVN1qentbco1_400.jpg [img][/img]
    [img][/img][img][/img]There were white kids with tattooed wu w's on their bodies
  • mackadamon
    mackadamon Members Posts: 59
    I 1st want say every one of these groups were the ? and we don't have groups no where near this dope or popular now but my vote goes to Bone Thugs. The Fugees only had The Score and Wu Tang were a bit regional at that time. Other than the backpackers nobody was really that into Wu Tang outside the eastcoast.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wu Tang is for the children