How is it possible for people to be so religious and yet know so little about human history

124»

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Why are you repeating this tired post you made in the blasphemy in Hip Hop thread?

Because you continue to peddle that same tired argument everywhere you go and I'm going to continue to address it every time I see you do it.

The beginnings of non-belief originated in the Ionian region of ancient Greece in the early 6th Century B.C.E. You had Greek philosophers back in those times that were only concerned with physical nature and interested in the question of “becoming,” or how the world works, its origins, and if there were a primary substance from which all things came.
    The conceptual framework of freethought was articulated in the ancient world was repeated again by those philosophers over the centuries with each resurgence of irreligion until it explicit or avowed atheism...somewhat like the spread of religion in the world. Kinda ironic, huh?

Schools of thought and philosophies in ancient India had rejected the idea of a ? for years before that. The Buddha, for one example, taught in the 6th century BCE espousing a philosophy of non theism.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    But Buddhism is monotheistic in a pantheistic sense not on the "one transcendent supreme creator ? ".

Original Buddhism is non theistic. The Buddha taught the three marks of existence, two of which are anicca (impermanence) and anatta (non self) meaning that everything in existence is impermanent, for one, and secondly, that nothing has an enduring or eternal self or soul so it is impossible for a human soul or an everlasting and almighty creator ? to exist.

Now, as Buddhism moved across Asia, different cultures may have added theistic elements already present to the Buddhist philosophy that they adopted but at its roots, Buddhism is always non theistic, specifically because of anicca and anatta.

You ever heard of Greco-Buddhism?

Nah, but I've heard of Tibetan, Sri Lankan, Japanese, Chinese, and Western Buddhism. What's your point?

• ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atheism isn't a religion, you dumb ? .

Is a couch potato a ? athlete?