Should we eliminate the human ability to feel pain?

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in The Social Lounge

Comments

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hell no. ? functions like that keep us alive. for example, if you put your arm in a furnace but felt no pain, you would get third degree burns and ? up your appendage, possibly your life.

or what about that kid who has some disease that causes her to feel no pain. this girl was poking her eyes and biting her tongue and lips so much her parents had her wearing gloves and swim goggles everywhere
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It'd be better if we could make it so that pain doesn't hurt...Like you would feel a sensation...but it wouldn't be painful...

No pain equals ? not knowin' when their bodies are ? up
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Options
    freehuey89 wrote: »
    hell no. ? functions like that keep us alive. for example, if you put your arm in a furnace but felt no pain, you would get third degree burns and ? up your appendage, possibly your life.

or what about that kid who has some disease that causes her to feel no pain. this girl was poking her eyes and biting her tongue and lips so much her parents had her wearing gloves and swim goggles everywhere

The article/interview suggests to replace pain with a different stimulus, so even though we might not feel pain, we'll somehow know when it occurs but through a different and less "painful" experience. if that makes sense.

I find this very interesting (reminds me of the bad guy from The World is Not Enough) but also very disturbing, and I think that that's only natural. The interviewee makes some good points, but he seems slightly overly optimistic and naive to me. He obviously wants a better world for people and animals (white people, smh), and that's a good thing. But I think that this would only drastically change the world, not neccessarily make it better. Humans are naturally "evil" (for a lack of a better word), and very little is going to change that regardless.

Also, I don't think that other forms of pain and suffering like emotional and psychological pain will be affected. They may even be exacerbated. Picture someone stabbing you, and he and you both know that you can't feel the pain, but you still clearly see and know that your flesh is being torn apart and you have no idea if you're going to die or not because you can't really gauge your pain in the natural sense. So I don't think that this kind of technology gets rid of fear, so sadists will unfortantely still be in business.

This world is already full of ? and punks. The experience of pain makes you tough. Getting rid of pain will usher in a whole generation of weak people. And also think of how this would change sports (like boxing). Or how war will be changed. When we stray away from nature, we can only expect disaster. So to eliminating pain, I say no. But the interviewee rightfully says that each of us should be free to choose whether we want to or not, so it's not my choice to decide for others. Some will say yes. That's the price of freedom.
  • supYo
    supYo Members Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    freehuey89 wrote: »

hell no is exactly what i wanted to say aint read the rest...but just yea i saw that with the girl i think....real bad

but i was thinkin about other ? like bad people gettin the pain they deserve

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think we'd be better off just making people less sensitive to pain. Too many soft kids nowadays.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    Options
    No. Why eliminate the only mechanism that protects you from yourself.

"Pain the Gift that Nobody wants" - Brand
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I forgot what comic or whatever it was that said if you want to get rid of drugs you got to get rid of pain first.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The amount of pain we can feel should be lowered, but it shouldn't be eliminated completely.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And Step wrote: »

great book, i picked it up the first time u mentioned it years ago.....thank you

and cosign lol

• MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And Step wrote: »

Will be picking this up, thank you.

If we do not know pain, how will we appreciate true pleasure
    (speaking mainly about mental rather than physical but both can apply)

Physical pain alerts the body and begins the response to fight it, I wouldn't want to get rid of that.
  • knife
    knife Members Posts: 35
    Options
    Pain is a good thing actually, it's a warning sign that something is not right. Also, some people enjoy a little bit of pain, so eliminating it entirely would not make for a very happy population overall. When we are in pain, our body is telling us that we need to change something or go to the doctor.
  • mz.d.meaner
    mz.d.meaner Members Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Should we eliminate the human ability to feel pain?

no. because pain let's you know / become more aware when the body, has something wrong. yes we can sedate pain, but to eliminate? no
  • Universalmindstate
    Universalmindstate Members Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    MissK indirectly mentioned it...the same neurological system that produces pleasure is the same fibres that provides us pain, so it only makes sense not to reduce or eliminate pain, for it'll also dissipate our pleasure.
  • topmontana
    topmontana Members Posts: 15
    Options
    its a learning too how we understand sumthing is harmful to us
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No it let's the white man off for his crimes if ? can't feel pain
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pain is a smoke alarm in a sense. Ignoring pain has caused many people to reach the final stages of diseases, which they then have no chance of treating. Pain is life.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Eliminate the things that cause pain from first to final stage.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've always wondered why humans can't just turn it off. Essentially, all pain is is an alarm. Once you're aware of the the condition, there is no reason for the alarm to keep going. It would be kinda cool, if we had more control over how much pain we felt. Even if we couldn't just turn it off, it would be nice to be able to turn it down without having to resort to drugs.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pain stimulates the brain.