T.I. talks about being compared to Tupac

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
DX: On Trouble Man's intro track you say that "real ? say I kick it the same way 'Pac did it." Outside of legal issues, what do you believe you and Tupac have in common?

T.I.: Well. Respect from gangstas and [being] adored by females... [Laughs] The ability to have a street credibility with a high level of intellect. The ability to speak for those in poverty-stricken areas who don’t have the mouthpiece to speak for themselves. The diverse mixture of association with dope boys, trappers and politicians all the same. The celebrity presence that stretches from the lowest of celebrity to the highest. And I guess our love and intention to reach out to all from an philanthropic standpoint, just being willing to dedicate ourselves and offer ourselves and invest our time, effort and energy into the undiscerned areas of the community because we come from these undiscerned areas of the community. Just having that love and respect for the have-nots enough to dedicate ourselves to it.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/interviews/id.2021/title.t-i-explains-why-addresses-went-nameless-comparing-himself-to-tupac

Comments

• GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have heard the comparison a lot in the beginning of his career, but they are not alike. T.I. is a much better rapper than 2PAC but PAC is a Icon that can't be touched.

T.I. set up the trap for ? and Pac came thru with that thug life movement.

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who the ? has ever compared Tip to Pac

i've never heard that comparison
  • Stew
    Options
    I guess ? cant read. ? clearly says "Comparing himself to Pac"
  • Stew
    Options
    ^^^? that couldnt read post
  • The Recipe
    Options

I guess ? are wack ass writers. Because the thread Title says "T.I. talks about being compared to Tupac". Not "TI compares himself to Tupac and talks about it".

5sxq_zps9fcc0de0.jpg
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2Pac didn't sound like he was slurring his speech 100% of the time.

Nothing in common.
  • Stew
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

I guess ? are wack ass writers. Because the thread Title says "T.I. talks about being compared to Tupac". Not "TI compares himself to Tupac and talks about it".

The art of thread making. Learn it

jtsa.jpg
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    I have heard the comparison a lot in the beginning of his career, but they are not alike. T.I. is a much better rapper than 2PAC but PAC is a Icon that can't be touched.

WTF

T.I. made some good points in comparing himself to Pac, but TI's level of influence is now where near revolutionary as Pac.

I wouldn't make that comparison if I was TIP

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Recipe
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

The art of thread making. Learn it

jtsa.jpg

Misinterpreting/Misrepresenting is a art now?

bush-scratching-head_zps5880493b.jpg

• Stew
    Options
    We need a ? reaction asap
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RaySwift wrote: »
    T.I. and 2pac shouldnt even be in the same sentence.

Word. I agree.
    Tip>>>pac
    GSonII wrote: »

Everything that needed to be said. Props.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? u the ?

You made a title saying one thing and then posted the article's title 15 post later after everybody laughed at the ? and its still a ? comparison even if he made it his self
  • Stew
    Options
    The link is in the OP stupid. Get back on topic or kick rocks
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Hero!387
    Hero!387 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    The only person I've ever heard compare TI and 2Pac is TI. He was doing it like the whole Paper Trail album "...officially the hottest ? rapping since 2Pac" from "56 Bars", "It's like 2Pac never died, sit back, enjoy the show" from "My Life, Your Entertainment" and he said something else about Makaveli on the intro too. Then on some episode of his Brady Bunch show, he's in the studio with Usher and he says something to the tune of him and Usher doing a song together is the modern day equivalent to 2Pac and R. Kelly having done a song years ago. Then when he got out of prison the first time, he said that his return was the most prominent return of a rapper from prison since 2Pac. He's obviously obsessed lol. Naw, i think he just keeps trying to say it enough until it starts catching on. I think he just wants to be thought of in a similar light that Pac is thought of in. He's trying to up his status and rank by putting himself in the same class and on the same plane as a legend. It's a pretty old trick but it is a trick none the less. It's like a cheap way to try and get yourself to that realm of musical artist immortality that legends like Pac are in. The real way to get there is through the actual music. It's by making music that's actually that powerful that the people put you in that realm on their own, you're not supposed to have to trick them into it. It's like in the movie Inception. The whole idea of inception is the thought of planting thoughts and ideas into peoples minds and planting them so well and so deeply into their minds that they actually believe that it is their thought or idea. They believe that they actually thought of it, that it actually came from their own mind. It's a very real thing. That's what TI's trying to do by constantly mentioning his name and 2Pac's name together. He figures that if he does it enough, people will someday be so used to hearing it that they will start saying it themselves and won't even realize where it came from. It might work, it's worked before but only time will tell.
  • Hero!387
    Hero!387 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Jay-Z did this exact thing with Reasonable Doubt. When Reasonable Doubt was initially released, it was recognized by the hip hop community as a good album; a very solid effort, nothing more than that really. It didn't shake the hip hop community down to its foundations or make time stand still in the world of rap or cause a giant uproar amongst the fans the way Illmatic, Ready To Die or Get Rich or Die Tryin' did respectively.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^^

? that's a long of words, ?