PS4: Sony Will Let Microsoft Make First Move

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hirai sees no point in announcing first.

You may have noticed that there are lots of rumours flying about regarding next-gen consoles. No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will unveil their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

With Nintendo already out the next-gen blocks with the Wii U, can Sony hold its bottle until the Microsoft announces? Surely his comments are slightly disingenuous, since there would be relatively little scope for changing the specs of the PlayStation this late in its development cycle. It's more likely that the additional time would be use to adjust the messaging surrounding the announcement.

Last week was a speculation rich week for the PlayStation 4, with reports that Sony will retire the DualShock controller.

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah I don't buy it.....I think they are just waiting to see what the price of the 720 will be....I don't see why they are getting rid of the dual shock though
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh @ retiring the dualshock
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're both coming out Oct/Nov

Rumor has it Sony will focus on graphics and MS will focus on apps...

Both should come with Watch Dog like graphics but I expect Sonys first party to shine if rumors are true.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »

Both should come with Watch Dog like graphics but I expect Sonys first party to shine if rumors are true.

this makes a lot of sense
  • RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apple really needs to jump in this generation
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dixinormus wrote: »
    Apple really needs to jump in this generation

Yeah, because games and accessories aren't overpriced as it is.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    LOL I said this in my thread a few months ago and now we have 100% proof. Both of them sit around and wait to copy others and advance whatever sales/catches on. Right now the both of them are tweaking and beefing up ? they are copying off the wii U(Don't believe me just watch). Just wait till they fully utilize the wii U and make games specifically for the wii U this year. That's when sony and microsoft are gonna start to tease us with their beefed up clones. They waiting to see what they can swagger jack from each other that they already swagger jacked from nintendo now SMH. But of coarse, none of you fan boys/girls are gonna acknowledge this truth. Or admit that you've noticed this over the years either.

This is what I meant about the "Hype" and excitement not being there anymore. What are y'all anticipating from their new systems besides slightly beefed up graphics.........?(graphics have already pretty much peaked).

Nintendo is the only one that stays true to video games. Sony and microsoft clearly just use gaming for a side hustle. I can't think of one original game made from sony or microsoft that's worth a ? .
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »

Expect Sony to focus on apps as well and integrate their tablets and phones as well.

Microsoft has already integrated their tablet:

ef83f52f3359f111120f6a706700148a.jpg

Sony about to launch this:

xperiaz_01-610x433.jpg
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? an app, are they gonna fix PSN?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You know what's going to make the biggest difference in the next generation IMO? How open they leave the systems to be upgraded and modified. Think about it. Technology and what you can do with that technology changes so fast nowadays. You can get a top of the line smartphone and 6 months later it's run of the mill and 2 years later it's obsolete. They are really pushing for these systems to be more than just game platforms. That being the case, they have to be mindful of possible innovations that could pop up in the coming years and leave the systems open to integrating those innovations.

I'll say one thing though. I'd love for the PS4 to run an Android OS instead of whatever it runs now. Think of the possibilities.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what's going to make the biggest difference in the next generation IMO? How open they leave the systems to be upgraded and modified. Think about it. Technology and what you can do with that technology changes so fast nowadays. You can get a top of the line smartphone and 6 months later it's run of the mill and 2 years later it's obsolete. They are really pushing for these systems to be more than just game platforms. That being the case, they have to be mindful of possible innovations that could pop up in the coming years and leave the systems open to integrating those innovations.

I'll say one thing though. I'd love for the PS4 to run an Android OS instead of whatever it runs now. Think of the possibilities.
    As a true gamer I could care less about all that other ? . I feel you on focusing on the damn system and better gaming. I know I'm faaaar from the only one who could care less about 70% of all that other ? on psn/X box360. I be checking for new demos and add on's. But before I get to it I got to skim through a bunch of ? I could care less about. At this point in time there's not too much more you can do graphic wise.

AND LOL at ? who bought that I phone 4. I told ? to wait at least two months to see what was gonna happen.