Iont think Cash Money had lyrical fire like thisBig Boy>>>>>>
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    question for N.O. music heads

"Matter fact I'm a tell you mother ? three things I'm a never do
    One : never gonna change my style
    Two: never gonna bounce,"

so if mystikal wasnt "bounce" then what was he???
  • JadaRoss
    JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    icame4wo wrote: »
    All the work I put into that thread? This site sucks. How the other threads still up and not that one? smh

i believe they did that ? on purpose bruh
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    Yeah that thread was hella epic.

damn i hate they got rid of it
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    JadaRoss wrote: »
    damn i hate they got rid of it

Yeah I made that thread a long time ago. It was like the Wikipedia for New Orleans hip-hop culture
  • Knomadd
    Knomadd Members Posts: 326
    edited April 2011
    ^damn. Ain't that bout a ? . That thread was literally my favorite thread I ever had the pleasure of reading/posting in on the internet. We should all try to recreate it; this thread is a damn fine start. s/o to the t/s

anyway, on topic, Big Boy definitely had the lyricists. Just think if Big Boy had blown up instead of CM, &/or if Def Jam woulda been able to sign Mac before P, so many possibilities. Big Boy > No Limit > Cash Money.

Anyone else find it funny how N.O. had lyricism & Bounce (Hip & Hop, respectively) coexisting in harmony then the 2 corrupt companies (NL & CM) blew up, & more or less amplified the popularity of gangsta/materialism/money/etc rap that's so prevalent in the mainsteam since the 00s, & now N.O. is fixing its mistakes by birthing artists for this new generation such as Jay Electronica & Dee-1

I wish I could contribute a lot to this thread right now, but it's late & I got class in the A.M. so I'mma leave yall with some artists not yet mentioned; Ruthless Juveniles & L.O.G.
    Check B.G. saying "Camouflaged Down" in the chorus lol
    my fav L.O.G. joint
    Check a pre-No Limit Mac spittin the first verse

I'm working on uploading the Psychoward album (crew Mac was down with before NL); I literally searched every deep dark corner of the internet to find the album, but it was worth it. I'll post the link(s) in the thread at a later date if yall want.
    Psychoward+-+WWW.Psychoward.Com.JPG

Also have that Magnolia Slim EP Darkside, & some of his ? from Down South Hustlers
    Magnolia+Slim+-+Dark+Side.jpg

Also have this rare gem of an album; $50 on amazon but so worth it. I'll also upload this & post links if yall want, since it's hard to come by on youtube (& only 3 songs at that, last time I checked).
    51YE8EGGRBL._SS500_.jpg

*not letting thread die*
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    1) how was No Limit a corrupt company

2)what was the knock on "bounce" ??? i thought that was a signature for N.O.
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Mystikal really wasn't considered a "bounce" artist IMO, though he had that capability to make a bounce record, he was more so a rapper than a bounce artist, it's not really hard to be a bounce artist or do bounce music, just catch/ride the beat, I think he wanted to do something different.
  • coonuncooned
    coonuncooned Members Posts: 290
    edited April 2011
    I hate to be Johnnie come lately, but being that I missed this and this is where and how I grew up ... I gotta roll with Cash Money. Mainly because I grew up and rolled with UNLV, used to go to Club Rumors with them cats and start much ? . I remember Baby was just a CEO wanna be rapper namd B32 and we would be back stage and dude barely talked. BG was around and was allowed in clubs way before he turned 18. Wayne was just too young to hang back then. This was b4 Juvie, and Turk joined Cash Money. But me and Juvie was tight back then. Ole the sweet memories, we used to terrorize 7th, 8th, and 9th ward cats, I mean all of Downtown ... UPT ran thangs back then.
    dont sleep on old cash money
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    ^^^ mayne those were the years, lol, we use to bump that ?
  • da_murderman281
    da_murderman281 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    I always wondered for years when "Mind Of Mystikal" got a major release off Jive records why didnt big boy let jive distibute all their releases. But later on when i found out how shady jive was i was like best thing they didnt sell they souls to the "machine" . i still blame bad management for not keeping big boy running.
  • icame4wo
    icame4wo Members Posts: 1,597 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    young law wrote: »
    question for N.O. music heads

"Matter fact I'm a tell you mother ? three things I'm a never do
    One : never gonna change my style
    Two: never gonna bounce,"

so if mystikal wasnt "bounce" then what was he???
    Dis bounce right here.
  • BigMeatball
    BigMeatball Members Posts: 390
    edited April 2011
    I hate to be Johnnie come lately, but being that I missed this and this is where and how I grew up ... I gotta roll with Cash Money. Mainly because I grew up and rolled with UNLV, used to go to Club Rumors with them cats and start much ? . I remember Baby was just a CEO wanna be rapper namd B32 and we would be back stage and dude barely talked. BG was around and was allowed in clubs way before he turned 18. Wayne was just too young to hang back then. This was b4 Juvie, and Turk joined Cash Money. But me and Juvie was tight back then. Ole the sweet memories, we used to terrorize 7th, 8th, and 9th ward cats, I mean all of Downtown ... UPT ran thangs back then.

I hope you wasn't with Juvie when C Murder bat the ? out 'em. And from what I remember, Uptown ? stayed Uptown, and Downtown ? stayed Downtown. Nobody ran ? ! New Orleans had/have too many head bustas for anybody to run anything. I know ? wasn't coming in the Iberville or the St. Bernard with that ? .
  • JadaRoss
    edited April 2011
    fiend-wont-be-denied-19951.jpg
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    man ya'll done took me back to 95-97 back in middle school...that PNC tape used to stay in heavy rotation!!...

but i gotta roll with Cash money...while big boy may have had the lyrics, Cash Money and Fresh had the beats...the beats made you listen to the songs imo...

yea I'ma outsider so I dont kno about the culture that heavy maybe I had to be down there to experience it I shoulda put a poll up too
  • da_murderman281
    da_murderman281 Members Posts: 803 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Knomadd wrote: »

Check a pre-No Limit Mac spittin the first verse

I have that Ruthless Juveniles cd right now and i didnt know Mac was on this album. i learn something new everyday.
  • gunot_killa
    gunot_killa Members Posts: 1,330
    edited April 2011
    Lol at cash money going from gangsta to soft candy cotton ? .
  • Larry_Joe713
    Larry_Joe713 Members Posts: 521
    edited April 2011
    I was in new orleans one time visiting family and my older cousin was looking for some cd's to bump in his ride. so i showed him my cd collection and when my cousin found that black menace album he said what you know about black menace????????????? i been looking for this ? forever. so he grabs the black menace cd and we riding in the hood blasting the speakers loud as hell all smoked out. we ended up picking up two ? we snatched from the club and ? the ? out them that night. man the look at my cousin face when he saw the cd was priceless.

*not letting this thread die*
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    True, most artists from Big Boy went to Rap A Lot or No Limit.

I know Patnaz N Crime went to Rap A Lot when Juve was over there. Ghetto Twins went there too.

Fiend and Mystikal obviously went to No Limit.
  • BlackAX410
    edited April 2011
    I was in new orleans one time visiting family and my older cousin was looking for some cd's to bump in his ride. so i showed him my cd collection and when my cousin found that black menace album he said what you know about black menace????????????? i been looking for this ? forever. so he grabs the black menace cd and we riding in the hood blasting the speakers loud as hell all smoked out. we ended up picking up two ? we snatched from the club and ? the ? out them that night. man the look at my cousin face when he saw the cd was priceless.

*not letting this thread die*

man a lot of them New Orleans ? was spittin fire back then its sad that you don't see a whole lot of em down there anymore
  • uncle_ignant
    uncle_ignant Members Posts: 240
    edited April 2011

is it me or does mr ivan sound like a mystikal reject.
  • BlackAX410
    google been my friend wit these thread resurrections hip hop been dry dis summer lol so i had to bump dis big boy appreciation thread i was talkin bout
  • Gucci Scott King
    Gucci Scott King Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sad to see this thread had died
  • BlackAX410
    sad to see this thread had died

forgot all about it all types of old school NO tracks was gettin dropped in here. i got hip to some artist i neva would have heard of without dis thread