The Natural Consequences

Options
alissowack
alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
The Bible is known for a lot of things (good and bad) but one of the things it's famous (or infamous) for is the Ten Commandments. The impression is that if you break these commands, you will suffer an eternal consequence. Maybe, maybe not. But what does that say about the natural conseqences of such matters...or whether or not there are any? People do bad things in the world we feel is deserving of justice. How is this handled so that all people know they will get justice?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The natural consequences is what happens during life at is hell. Most people who steal something feel guilt afterwards and sometimes that guilt can last for what feels like an eternity. When every you ? someone no matter who you are you have the nightmares, upset stomachs, people in your head talkin, thats the natural consquence, we are our own hell. Even serial killers at some point after their crimes get these. I also believe in Karma, to me it seems a sure thing, if you do something good or bad eventually you will be returned what you dealt.
    To me that what the bible is an allegory for, our minds being the true hell and we die feeling some type of guilt, once we die that guilt doesnt die with us meaning we lay for eternity in our graves bearing that guilt. If you go to your grave with a clear concious, obviously you will die peacefully (heaven) and lie there for eternity.
  • alissowack
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What does that say about those who beat the odds of these consequences? Karma doesn't get everybody. Murder may be bad and some who do ? can have a convicting or Hellish consciousness about it, but what about those who take pleasure in killing or find it "heavenly"; or people that think they have a right (or think it's right) to murder?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited April 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    What does that say about those who beat the odds of these consequences? Karma doesn't get everybody. Murder may be bad and some who do ? can have a convicting or Hellish consciousness about it, but what about those who take pleasure in killing or find it "heavenly"; or people that think they have a right (or think it's right) to murder?

To be honest the only ones I ever heard of gettin pleasure out of killing was religious people who thought they were doing what ? wanted them to, those who ? for just their pleasure I've always heard of them regretting it later and having a bad concious on it. Those who ? in the name of ? find it heavenly and their belief overpowers their self conciousness.

Nobody really ever beats the odds, a few do yes, but at some point in life everyone suffers some sort of consiquence for their actions that has a negative spin on it. And yea Karma gets everyone.
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That is the one thing that bothers me the most about religion. Those who take their beliefs and channel it through violence. Ignorance is bliss until it has a weapon.
  • alissowack
    edited April 2010
    Options
    To be honest the only ones I ever heard of gettin pleasure out of killing was religious people who thought they were doing what ? wanted them to, those who ? for just their pleasure I've always heard of them regretting it later and having a bad concious on it. Those who ? in the name of ? find it heavenly and their belief overpowers their self conciousness.

Nobody really ever beats the odds, a few do yes, but at some point in life everyone suffers some sort of consiquence for their actions that has a negative spin on it. And yea Karma gets everyone.

Well, there is the obvious "killing in the name of ? " reason. But we can't say that is the only reason people ? or that we should only concern ourselves with the priest who is "packin' heat". But in either case, there is suppose to be something that sees to it that despite whoever names they claim, that they do get punished for their actions. But everyone doesn't experience Karma. What does that say about the "innocent" who are murdered; that their goodness doesn't come back full circle?
  • alissowack
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That is the one thing that bothers me the most about religion. Those who take their beliefs and channel it through violence. Ignorance is bliss until it has a weapon.

Unfortunately, people do use religion as a reason to ? . But, does that mean that they can't be punished for their acts? So what the religious fanatics claim a deity? What is being done that no one is denied justice?
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    every murderer doesnt have guilt when they comit a murder
    especially if forced to
    if the murder was justified why worry
  • alissowack
    edited April 2010
    Options
    every murderer doesnt have guilt when they comit a murder
    especially if forced to
    if the murder was justified why worry

Yeah, there is a legal guilt that governments (or unfortunately religions) remove from those who carry it out, but how do we know that it is justified; that a person shouldn't worry?
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    Yeah, there is a legal guilt that governments (or unfortunately religions) remove from those who carry it out, but how do we know that it is justified; that a person shouldn't worry?

a person could comit murder for no reason and feel nothing
    if they're to the point they dont feel any emotion
  • alissowack
    edited April 2010
    Options
    a person could comit murder for no reason and feel nothing
    if they're to the point they dont feel any emotion

I'm sure that is possible to develop a tolerance, but if murder is wrong to do overall, what can be done to acknowledge that and give the necessary judgments for it?
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The ten commandments is basically telling us how the laws of the universe work. If you lie, it turns to another, and another and another and eventually the truth is lost and huemanity is all lost and hardly anyone knows what the truth is, just like we are living in today. It's a horrible mess and I agree with the ten commandments for that reason. Don't ? , because... well.... that speaks for itself. Don't steal... this commandmet does not just apply to stealing TVs, it also applies to STEALING LAND, CULTURES, HISTORY, AND PEOPLE!!! Or you will... end up where we are today... in a mess. etc etc....
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    What happens to the executioner? The guy who makes a living flipping the switch or starting the lethal injection machine?

The suicide rate for legal executioners is pretty high, I believe it was only 2.3% behind war veterans
  • alissowack
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    What happens to the executioner? The guy who makes a living flipping the switch or starting the lethal injection machine?

There was a point made that government can give that right for an executioner. However, what if the government exercises this deed unjustly? What can be done to stop government (or religion for that matter) from using murder as a means to an end?
  • alissowack
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    The ten commandments is basically telling us how the laws of the universe work. If you lie, it turns to another, and another and another and eventually the truth is lost and huemanity is all lost and hardly anyone knows what the truth is, just like we are living in today. It's a horrible mess and I agree with the ten commandments for that reason. Don't ? , because... well.... that speaks for itself. Don't steal... this commandmet does not just apply to stealing TVs, it also applies to STEALING LAND, CULTURES, HISTORY, AND PEOPLE!!! Or you will... end up where we are today... in a mess. etc etc....

What does the Ten Commandments say to those who make a living off of breaking them all? What about those who "live by the book" and their life is still a mess?