Rate My Presidents Volume 2: Bill Clinton

Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in The Social Lounge
I’m late on this thread, but here’s the intro and rules again:
…I thought it'd be nice to discuss and rate these presidents and maybe even learn a thing or two about American history.

The rules are as simple as the American grading system for secondary schools: you vote and give the president an A, B, C, D, or F. The criteria for the grading are indefinite but should include major ones like handling of foreign and domestic political affairs, handling of the economy, handling of the American people and society, overall legacy on America, etc. If criteria such as personality, wit, fashion, etc have to be counted, then please have them counted in only a minor way because the grade should be about how well the president did his job, not so much about what kind of person he was/is. And try to give some explanation for your final grade.

459px-Bill_Clinton.jpg

So, here we have Bill Clinton, the 42nd president of the United States. Now, I like Clinton, and I think he’s one of the very few, recent presidents that we’ve had who has a likeable personality. But there are a couple of major things I don’t like about his presidency.

I don’t like NAFTA. I think that in the end it’s costing American jobs. I don’t like how Clinton handled the Bosnian genocide. He was too passive for too long. But at the same time, he also involved us in a lot of other foreign conflicts that weren’t entirely necessary or productive imo. I also didn’t care much for “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and his pro-death penalty policies either.

Under his presidency, we did however have a relatively solid economy. And he did oversee the development of social programs for various Americans. He also laid the foundation of what was to be the end of Bin Laden and the downfall of Saddam. I couldn’t care less about the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal, but I might say that it did kind of make him seem a bit more human, and that’s saying a lot for a president.

My Final Grade: C/C+

Btw, the overall average grade result for Abraham Lincoln was a C+. A bit lower than I expected tbh, but some valid criticisms were made.

Rate My Presidents Volume 2: Bill Clinton 13 votes

A
46%
[Deleted User]1CK1SMelanin_Enriched PiffyHazeParallelSleepwalkingInJapan 6 votes
B
7%
nj2089 1 vote
C
15%
jonoPlutarch 2 votes
D
15%
Big JamesP swayze166 2 votes
F
15%
janklowAjackson17 2 votes

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A
    Can't vote against him. Dude was the first black president!!!!
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited January 2013
    F
    i am pretty much taking the position that presidents who promote anti-gun legislation can ? off, at least as far as the grade i give them

EDIT: i realize this means my grading system is going to severely punish all presidents after Nixon
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C
    NAFTA & deregulation that happened under Clinton crippled the economy and we suffer from it to this day. He was also pro-prison industrial complex (Omnibus Crime Bill) and a supporter of
    the death penalty.

At the same time he was a bit of a common man. I never got the feeling of "elitist" from Clinton. He was a master politician and that is actually part of the problem.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    when he was in office i was still a young kid but i remember ? was good
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    D
    Clinton lucked out with industry coming into their best times when he was in office...I mean the internet, electronics, and a myriad of many other things were coming into play, creating jobs etc.

the de regulation ? is terrible, he was too timid in handling military action. When people look back on things bush 2 might look bad, even terrible but he had 2 wars and things that popped up along the way that really is a wild card, clinton for the most part had none of that so history looks on him more favorable when in reality he was probably just as bad or close.

plus the ease at which he lied over basically something so trivial as a ? , makes one wonder...all politicians lie, but that was stupid, almost got him booted out of office....and dont say he was scared of hilary knowing etc etc...every ? knows when they man cheating, and she stuck with him after as well AFTER he lied to everyone. I do agree he made him look more personable, but more like a person you don't like.

I don't remember so vividly but it seemed in those times that rep and dems could meet in the middle and agree on more than maybe any time in the post 70's eras. he benefited from that...if Obama had that, it would be a much better country and situation.
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D
    plus dont forget waco...smh
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F
    He was a master deceitful politician and played everyone like the fool.
  • Big James
    Big James Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭
    D
    He and Barry are cut from the same cloth.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when he was in office i was still a young kid but i remember ? was good

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A
    He was white.