Belle Isle: Investors seek to buy island from Detroit and start a 'new nation'

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
Investors seek to buy island from Detroit and start a 'new nation' free of personal and corporate income taxes, where everyone has good credit and citizenship costs $300,000

By DAN PROCHILO

A developer wants the city of Detroit to sell an island that is now a city park to a group of buyers looking to transform it into the newest U.S. commonwealth. Rodney Lockwood, a developer from Bingham Farms, a village of 1,100 people about a half-hour from Detroit, is pushing for the city to sell the 982-acre Belle Isle for $1 billion to a group of investors who 'believe in individual freedom, liberty and free markets,' according to a website set up by proponents of the concept, commonwealthofbelleisle.com.

During the next three decades, the buyers would establish a 'remarkable new nation' of 35,000 people using private money, transforming the island into a quasi-autonomous state with its own government, currency and system of taxation. There would be no personal or corporate income tax in this business-friendly utopia.

Most people would buy citizenship to Belle Isle at a cost of $300,000. Twenty percent of the population would be exempt from paying the fee, allowing for some socioeconomic diversity. All citizens would be mandated to have good credit, no criminal background and command of the English language, according to The Detroit News.

Supporters forecast that a privately owned Belle Isle would rival Singapore 'as an economic miracle,' generating 'billions of dollars in desperately needed economic growth' and becoming 'a social laboratory for the western world' -- an experiment in small government. The construction jobs produced by the massive undertaking and its other economic benefits would restore Detroit 'to its former glory,' backers claim.

While the Commonwealth of Belle Isle has prominent supporters, including the retired president of Chrysler, Hal Sperlich, it will probably be struck down by Detroit municipal officials, according to news reports. Lockwood even acknowledges that the concept is unlikely to be approved, while George Jackson, president and CEO of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., was quoted as saying the idea won't advance.

Last fall, Detroit Mayor David Bing and Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder reportedly struck a deal handing over the operation and management of Belle Isle to the state. City Council members were unhappy with the deal, which would have granted a 30-year lease of the island to the Department of Natural Resources, saying it lacked specifics and wouldn't provide jobs and contracts to the people of Detroit.

The agreement called for the state to fund renovations and operations of Belle Isle instead of paying rent which the brokers of the deal said would save the city $6 million a year. The state wants the City Council to revisit the issue in 2013.

article-2268696-172D4DEE000005DC-746_634x318.jpg

article-2268696-172DB538000005DC-520_634x303.jpg

article-2268696-172D404B000005DC-202_634x318.jpg

Comments

• Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a billion seems to high for that lil island
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We should nuke those crackers to introduce them and let them know that they aint bout that life..
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Socioeconomic diversity" = the need workers lol.

This is like the 3rd or 4th libertarian island I've heard of.

The State of Michigan is gonna turn Belle Isle into a state park more than likely but if they manage to pull it away from Detroit. Maybe the state will sell it.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    "Socioeconomic diversity" = the need workers lol.

lol yeah. i caught that one too. euphemisms are funny.
    This is like the 3rd or 4th libertarian island I've heard of.

yeah me too. but i doubt whether or not islands like these are truly "libertarian." how can you claim your island to be a "utopia of freedom" when you have all of these requirements for citizenship, including the seemingly trivial requirement of being a fluent English speaker. And to reiterate, I doubt this island will be classless. And I consider myself a libertarian, but I see too many potential red flags.
    The State of Michigan is gonna turn Belle Isle into a state park more than likely but if they manage to pull it away from Detroit. Maybe the state will sell it.

Can a state even sell part of its territory without the consent of the federal government?

• dr funky resurrected
    dr funky resurrected Members Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got ? with by the Border Patrol on Belle Isle when I visited the D lol
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $300,000 for citizenship?
    They own you!
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Most people would buy citizenship to Belle Isle at a cost of $300,000"
    ^ There version of taxation, unless it comes with a free home, and some ? . Of course, it will still be cheaper overtime for people with that income bracket.

- A bunch of other ?

- Then there is the fact that they would be another country residing within the U.S, which may come with certain cost, and they wont like that, not one bit.
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    Detroit is definitely ? up lol all the ? I seen on the internet was real lol
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    detroit gon be the first piece of property sold off to china...
    believe that...

yall ? better run...

the Chinese want property they can make money off of, lol Detroits the last place they gonna look
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I work in the building with the mayor and city council and trust me this was NEVER taken seriously from day one.. The city of detroit is not going to let anyone take belle isle, even though the city can't afford to maintain it nor improve it at this time.. Now if we get the emergency financial manager that the governor is threatening to place here then that person would basically be in charge rendering the mayor and city council a pretty much figureheads with no power. The EMF could sell off belle isle as an asset and "use" that money towards paying off some of the debt the city is in. Funny thing is the State owes Detroit like $220 million dollars but they won't pay it. The state offered to LEASE Belle Isle for 90 years with renewal processes every 10 years but the city council tabled the offer because the state wouldn't present any real numbers or game plan, like they would never say how much money they were going to invest in the island, what the time frame is etc.. Also the renewal process gave the state the opportunity to opt out but the city wouldn't have that option.. On the surface it appeared to be a good idea but the devil was in the details or lack thereof.. Detroit needs strong and KNOWLEDGEABLE leadership right now or the state is going to ? it viciously.
  • alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another thing is people need to stop saying Detroit is a dead city.. We have a guy here by the name of Dan Gilbert (owner of Quicken Loans).. He moved his headquarters to downtown Detroit along with roughly 3 or 4 thousand employees and he has been purchasing every building downtown that he can get his hands on.. Mike Illitch (owner of the Red Wings and Tigers) is trying to build a new $800 million sports complex in the downtown area as well.. I've been working down here for a long time and I am amazed at how the racial demographic in the downtown area is changing on a monthly basis.. Not that that's a bad thing because I always felt the city needed more diversity.. I say that to say this, NO smart businessman is going to invest that type of money into a city that is dead.. There is a plan for Detroit, I feel they are just letting it go down the drain in order to keep the current citizens moving out to the 'burbs.. Then once the undesirables are gone suddenly it'll be reverse white flight back into the city and boom the city makes a remarkable recovery and is a "beacon" for all to see..
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    another thing to think about... you dont find it weird that all these invasive ass fish that are killing everything in our rivers and lakes come from china?
    doesn't that detroit michigan area have an invasive fish problem? i swear my neighbor said they dumped some type of carp in the water thats pushing out all the salmon... (now that takes a special kind of talent)

they gon have to go to war for some prime property tho.

asian carp. its in all the great lakes water, its in our rivers over here in western new york also
  • dr funky resurrected
    Options
    8155245112_ff2c8aaa0c_c.jpg

8167832008_469c204008_c.jpg

Pure michigan lol