The official 2012 "Who Dat" thread

Options
14567810»

Comments

• PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Switching to the 3-4 is tough depending on personnel. I heard they looking at Eric Mangini. Took the Niners bout 4 years to get it right Yall gonna need dam near a totally new front 7. Lofton might fit but Vilma won't. Gonna need a NT and some De's. Yall gonna need 2 OLB's that can rush the passer. Good thing yall set at offense so you can spend your time getting the defense right.

If you look at the younger guys/FA pickups we have, we they actually fit the 3-4 better....Cam Jordan we drafted in the 1st round 2 yrs a go was that high on the almost everyone's draft board because he was dominant as a 3-4 DE. Martez Wilson played OLB in 3-4 in college, Gallette can fit in OLB role too. Hicks would beast at NT or even DE. We got 2 that can play ILB in Lofton & Hawthorne....I think in the draft we focus on a maybe a disignated 3-4 NT or another pass rushing OLB, just in case Gallette isn't the answer full time there. But Wilson would beast at that position. He's taylor made for it and so is Jordan @ DE. Later rounds I expect we look for depth and secondary players...especially safety.

It will take some time like you said but I think the younger guys we have, have the skill set to make the transition easier. I don't see Smith, Vilma, Ellis (who is a FA anyway THANK ? ), or even Bunkley fit into the scheme. Which is fine because with out them on the books you get some much needed cap room to look in the FA to upgrade a position or 2.

I don't expect them to be the Dome Patrol overnight......but it cannot be worse than this season which was historically the worse.

• PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Switching to the 3-4 is tough depending on personnel. I heard they looking at Eric Mangini. Took the Niners bout 4 years to get it right Yall gonna need dam near a totally new front 7. Lofton might fit but Vilma won't. Gonna need a NT and some De's. Yall gonna need 2 OLB's that can rush the passer. Good thing yall set at offense so you can spend your time getting the defense right.

If you look at the younger guys/FA pickups we have, they actually fit the 3-4 better....Cam Jordan we drafted in the 1st round 2 yrs a go was that high on the almost everyone's draft board because he was dominant as a 3-4 DE. Martez Wilson played OLB in 3-4 in college, Gallette can fit in OLB role too. Hicks would beast at NT or even DE. We got 2 that can play ILB in Lofton & Hawthorne....I think in the draft we focus on a maybe a disignated 3-4 NT or another pass rushing OLB, just in case Gallette isn't the answer full time there. But Wilson would beast at that position. He's taylor made for it and so is Jordan @ DE. Later rounds I expect we look for depth and secondary players...especially safety.

It will take some time like you said but I think the younger guys we have, have the skill set to make the transition easier. I don't see Smith, Vilma, Ellis (who is a FA anyway THANK ? ), or even Bunkley fit into the scheme. Which is fine because with out them on the books you get some much needed cap room to look in the FA to upgrade a position or 2.

I don't expect them to be the Dome Patrol overnight......but it cannot be worse than this season which was historically the worse.

• PaperPlaneJane
    Options
    Don't know why i did a double post but anyway....

@AdamSchefter
    Two defensive coaching candidates the Saints will consider adding to staff include Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel, per source...

http://www.whosay.com/AdamSchefter/content/495317?wsref=tw&code=sKG52jD
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know why i did a double post but anyway....

@AdamSchefter
    Two defensive coaching candidates the Saints will consider adding to staff include Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel, per source...

http://www.whosay.com/AdamSchefter/content/495317?wsref=tw&code=sKG52jD

That's a good look.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I would say Kirby Smart will be a good addition but he has to learn how to be a coach of grown men. I think he is more of a teaching coach than a pro coach. He will outstanding in the beginning but after that what kind of adjustments to teaching to Yelling and motivating (like a Bill bellichik).

I would say that would be good but, I don't want Kirby to leave Bama even though he would go to my other team, The Saints, I think he fits well in Bama

• ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Spags and the secondary coach is out and 3-4 D is in......I can dig it. I think Hicks, Jordan (who played 3-4 in college and why he was so high on the draft board) and Tom Johnson would be the DE's. OLB Wilson and Gallette. ILB Lofton & Hawthorne. I think that D fits those guys better as a front 7 unit. Draft will be very interesting. Do they go NT first or a pass rusher? Vilma and Smith are gonna be off the books after the switch so it gives us some much needed relief off the cap. Biggest question tho.....who's the DC?

You forgetting all about Brodrick Bunkley and his role on the defense as a nose tackle.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Should I let this ride or keep this going for the offseason?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    Should I let this ride or keep this going for the offseason?

Start up a new one when free agency begins.