0%
Oddisee – People Hear What They See
0%
R.A.P. Music by Killer Mike
29%
doinellordhonka2rip.dillanillerthekidCJwaterproofandre_1024 7 votes
OC & Apollo Brown – Trophies
37%
stupot0607supertitanachewon87bigev240RuffDraftBuilt 4 cuban linxLou CypherFrankOceanIsGayMeta_Conscious 9 votes
Homeboy Sandman – First of a Living Breed
4%
wAXed_poetic 1 vote
Jeremiah Jae – Raw Money Raps
0%
El-P – Cancer 4 Cure
0%
OTHER (Name Artist & Album)
25%
nujerz84its....JOHN BNothingButTheTruthHipHop90genocidecutterRahlow 6 votes

Comments

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KILLER MIKE - RAP MUSIC, KRS-1 THE BDP ALBUM is two albums i really enjoyed.

Quiet as kept Indy rap had a great year that made the commerical world take notice
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wu Block
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to go with O.C. and Apollo.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masta Ace-MA DOOM: Son of Yvonne
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vinne Paz-? of the Serengeti
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Had to vote Trophies, along with Lou. To me, the most complete album of 2012, in front of Kendrick Lamar's. But it's highs don't quite match up to Kendrick's.

That said, I don't think 2012 has been a successful year for independent hip hop; it has however been a success for Mello Music Group and TDE. Props to both labels and I hope that 2013 sees the return of some of our favourite artists.
  • reggie34
    reggie34 Members Posts: 40
    check out my top 10 albums of 2012. I got R.A.P. Music on my list.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el6XWnFh880
  • Lou Cypher
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Had to vote Trophies, along with Lou. To me, the most complete album of 2012, in front of Kendrick Lamar's. But it's highs don't quite match up to Kendrick's.

That said, I don't think 2012 has been a successful year for independent hip hop; it has however been a success for Mello Music Group and TDE. Props to both labels and I hope that 2013 sees the return of some of our favourite artists.

Damn @ mello Music, i totally forgot Oddisee's album. I do enjoy Trophies a bit more than Odd's album tho.
  • HipHop90
    HipHop90 Members Posts: 31
    Madchild - Dopesick
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2013
    Lou Cypher wrote: »

Damn @ mello Music, i totally forgot Oddisee's album. I do enjoy Trophies a bit more than Odd's album tho.

Yes, I agree. That said, from a self-produced album, I think Odd almost pulled a Kanye. He's nicer on the mic (with his own rhymes) and he truly pulled off some nice beats.

Mello have some other outstanding efforts this year though, namely Substantial's release, that I just made a thread on here and Dice Game (Guilty Simpson/Apollo Brown); along with the releases I haven't checked: The Black Opera, 7even Thirty and the upcoming release from Uptown XO. There's also Boog Brown and Traestar's favoured yU. To me, they just continue to pour out the best releases and have some of the best collaborating artists led by two of the best producers (Apollo/Odd). I need to go and finish checking out their discog.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Undergroup and Independent hip-hop had a great year, they was bubbling through the middle ground, dropped classics and near classic albums, had more dope albums than the majors and was the talk of 2012 with RAP MUSIC, trophies. i expect it to continue for 2013
  • RuffDraft
    waterproof wrote: »

Undergroup and Independent hip-hop had a great year, they was bubbling through the middle ground, dropped classics and near classic albums, had more dope albums than the majors and was the talk of 2012 with RAP MUSIC, trophies. i expect it to continue for 2013

It's always a great year for independent hip hop when you reflect it on the mainstream. But in comparison to last year, it pails in comparison and does so for years beforehand too, IMO.

2011:
    Clouds - Apollo Brown - inspired Trophies (2012).
    The Family Sign - Atmosphere
    ElZhi - Elmatic
    Co$$ - Before I Awoke
    Oneirology - CunninLynguists
    Cats & Dogs - Evidence
    Section. 80 - Kendrick Lamar
    No More Golden Days - Lushlife
    The Sender - Median
    Spiritual State - Nujabes
    W.A.R. - Monch
    Charity Starts at Home - Phonte

• Lou Cypher
    Ah man, ? yeah 2011 was a hell of a year. list reminded me how much i loved this album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FmOJUKh_V8
  • RuffDraft
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Ah man, ? yeah 2011 was a hell of a year. list reminded me how much i loved this album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FmOJUKh_V8

Definitely the slept on release of 2011. It was a great year!
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20120829-CHINOXL.jpg
  • RuffDraft
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    20120829-CHINOXL.jpg

Slept on slap to Draft. Need to check it.
  • wAXed_poetic
    wAXed_poetic Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    Homeboy Sandman – First of a Living Breed
    I looked just to see if this was on the poll
  • D_Rap_Scholar
    D_Rap_Scholar Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, I didn't mean to post in this thread. But I'm gonna check out the album posted in the thread, for sure