Better Headlights

Options
lamontbdc
lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in Let Me Ride
I'm blind as ? and need some better headlights for vision at night. any suggestions? I seen folks saying the Slyvania bulbs blow out fast as ?

Comments

• rooster_cogburn
    rooster_cogburn Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    What car you drive? I put 6k HIDs in my low beams, and fogs. Vision is at least 4-5x better than stock. Took about 2hours to install. I gotta install in relay harness for them so they can run straight off the battery, instead of the stock wire harness.

These are with just my fogs on.

b34fd6be7c6b11e28fba22000a1fb1a7_7_zps5e1d16f5.jpg
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We roll with HID's round here.... 10k low beams and fogs
    [img][/img]jgs5uc.jpg
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet your headlamp assembly is real foggy right? There are restoration kits you can buy in a parts store to clear up the fog off your headlamp lens. There will be a noticeable difference afterwards.
  • rooster_cogburn
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ? those kits....heres what you do:

Get some 1000, & 2000 grit sandpaper, clear coat(canned), & compound. All this ? can be found at your local autoparts store. Wetsand (soap/water) the lenses with the 1000 grit for usually about 10min. You can do this under the facet, or in a big bucket. dry them off. They will be clear, then turn hazy. Repeat with the 2000 grit. Dry them, then clear coat them evenly, and let that dry.

Wetsand the clear with the 2000 grit, and you can do this as many times as you want. DONT sand hard at this point. Let the clear coat dry a final time.

Take your compound(I usually use Meguires), and rub a generous amount on the lenses. Once it dries, buff them with a good amount of pressure. They will look brand new. Takes about 3-4 hours, so do it on a lazy Saturday, when you aint going nowhere.

Mine looked the same, and they are back to factory. This ? is mad easy, and is not as hard as it sounds.

AS far as the HIDs, 4300k is what BMWs, Benzes, etc. come stock with. 4300k is 4-5 brighter than halogens. The further you go up in Kelvin (5k, 6k, 8k, 12k) the bluer they become, but they also put out less light. 12k is more like purple, and the boys WILL ? with you at some point with those.

I chose 6k because it puts out a ? ton of light, and has a slight mix of blue with mostly white. My lights are blue in the pic cause I had just turned the whip on didnt let them warm up.
  • lamontbdc
    Options
    i got a monte carlo good ? folks thanks
  • lamontbdc
    Options
    i'm gonna try the 6k in my low beans and fog lights
  • rooster_cogburn
    Options
    U MUST buy a relay harness with the HID kit. If u don't, the bulbs will flicker on you and will eventually go out. The stock wiring harnesses do not give the ballasts all the voltage needed to power up the HIDs.
  • rooster_cogburn
    Options
    We roll with HID's round here.... 10k low beams and fogs
    [img][/img]jgs5uc.jpg

Aye patna..you in the stl? Them blue/white plates look familiar.lol
  • lamontbdc
    Options
    good looking out
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Im in KC. I think I might go with 6k or 8k for my next set of HIDs
  • rooster_cogburn
    Options
    6 or 8 are good choices. I wouldn't buy a kit off Ebay. The ballasts trend to be extremely poorly built and end up burning out. A good kit should be anywhere from $120-$200. Mine were right at $190 with two relays, a set of 9006s & 898s, two warning cancellors, and 4 ballasts.