Batman and Wonder woman

Options
124»

Comments

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I got JL and JLU both on DVD DC cartoons ? on Marvel imo but I was salty when they cancel the show.

RIP to Dwayne Mcduffie Black writer responsible for most of the episodes (also creator of Static, Icon, Blood Syndacite and wrote the Static Shock cartoons and Justice League: Crises On Two Earths Movie as well)
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    I got JL and JLU both on DVD DC cartoons ? on Marvel imo but I was salty when they cancel the show.

RIP to Dwayne Mcduffie Black writer responsible for most of the episodes (also creator of Static, Icon, Blood Syndacite and wrote the Static Shock cartoons and Justice League: Crises On Two Earths Movie as well)

Co-sign. Homie died the day after his 49th birthday smh. On the real though, his shows put DC on the top in my eyes. All DC really had were both Batman series and the Superman series while Marvel was putting out classic ? like X-men and Spider-man, as well as The Hulk, Avengers, and Iron-man. It seem like as soon as the 2000s rolled around DC got they swagger back (greatly in part due to Mcduffie's work on teen titans, Static Shock, Justice League, and JLU) and all Marvel been putting out is duds(aside from that new Avengers show, I ? with that). The DC animated movies ? on Marvel's movies now too. Hulk vs Thor was corny as ?
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? now that I remember it's supposed to be a Green Lantern show dropping this fall
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Supposedly this is the future of the DCAU
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The future of the DCAU

With the conclusion of the Justice League Unlimited animated series, Warner Bros has moved on to adapting new versions of the various DC comics properties, rather than reviving the DCAU counterparts.
    The last script written for DCAU continuity was titled Justice League: Worlds Collide. This screenplay was created to bridge the several month gap between Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. The draft was eventually adapted into the February 2010 film Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, with the removal of any references specific to DCAU continuity, replacing Green Lantern John Stewart with Hal Jordan, and the casting of celebrities rather than the voice actors of the DCAU.

The latest update on the DCAU:

I very much appreciate that so many of you guys have so much love for the old series, from BTAS through JLU (I do too) -- but frankly, I doubt that we'll be formally, "officially" doing another movie or TV series set in that continuity (...) anything is possible, so conceivably that could change someday -- instead of saying "THE DCAU IS DEAD", maybe we can just say it's in a state of suspended animation until further notice...?
    —Bruce Timm, 2009

Despite this, the current Batman Beyond series is seen by DC as a continuation of the future time period of the DCAU.[3] The miniseries began in June 2010, under the title Future Evil. In August 2010, the series was announced to continue following the completion of the first arc as an on-going series, leaving the door open to future work on the universe in the comic book medium.

Which makes sense seeing as though Young Justice is in another DC universe
  • nujerz84
    edited September 2011
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    Co-sign. Homie died the day after his 49th birthday smh. On the real though, his shows put DC on the top in my eyes. All DC really had were both Batman series and the Superman series while Marvel was putting out classic ? like X-men and Spider-man, as well as The Hulk, Avengers, and Iron-man. It seem like as soon as the 2000s rolled around DC got they swagger back (greatly in part due to Mcduffie's work on teen titans, Static Shock, Justice League, and JLU) and all Marvel been putting out is duds(aside from that new Avengers show, I ? with that). The DC animated movies ? on Marvel's movies now too. Hulk vs Thor was corny as ?

Michael Davis remembers Dwayne McDuffie during Wednesday's memorial
    To say last night's Tribute to Dwayne McDuffie at Golden Apple Comics was crowded would be a colossal understatement.

Packed to the rafters and then some, fans, colleagues and friends turned out in droves to remember McDuffie, the creative force behind DC Entertainment and Warner Brothers Animation's "Static Shock," "Justice League" and "Ben 10: Ultimate Alien," as well as co-founder of the influential comic book company Milestone Media. Film director and writer Reggie Hudlin, Milestone co-founders Denys Cowan and Michael Davis and family friend Kevin Rubio appeared before the crowd to talk about McDuffie, his craft and his impact on all who knew him.

"The fact is, [Dwayne McDuffie] was one of the best writers in comic books, period," said Hudlin. Starting the Tribute after a moment of silence, Hudlin described McDuffie as a mentor and praised his role as the co-creator of African-American superheroes Static Shock, Icon and Hardware.

"Along with Denys and Michael, he created Milestone Media, which is the first black comic book company -- [and] when I say black comic book company, I mean they employed the best people of every ethnicity, and they created fantastic books that people still love and care about today," said Hudlin.

Revealing to a tearful audience that Sunday had been McDuffie's birthday, Hudlin said his mentor's selflessness was one of the many qualities that endeared him to colleagues and fans alike. "There's so many incredibly successful people in this business who owe their career to Dwayne," said Hudlin, adding, "He was called the Maestro by his fans! It's hard to be called the Maestro, but he was a consummate professional, so he could wear that [title], and he wore it well."

Cowan also spoke of McDuffie's humble nature, calling his time working alongside McDuffie at Milestone an "incredible experience."

"Dwayne was the architect of a lot of what we did at Milestone; we had a brilliant concept and wanted to do these comic books, and I could draw a little and Michael was creative as hell and Derek had business sense, but none of us could put together a comic book!" said Cowan. "[There] was one guy who could do it, and that was Dwayne."

Reggie Hudlin (L) and Denys Cowan tell stories about their friend, Dwayne
    Speaking about McDuffie's time at Warner Brothers, Cowan said people would often come up to him and express amazement at the writer's wide-ranging talent. "They used to say, 'You know Denys, Dwayne can write "Scooby-Doo" and he can write "Batman!"' They would just throw him everything [and] he'd do it and not even think about it, he was that good," said Cowan.

"A lot of people can write comic books and a lot of people can draw comic books, but Dwayne changed people's lives," said Cowan. "What he did affected a lot of kids, affected a lot of adults, and I run into people all the time telling me how much Milestone meant [to them]."

Tearfully, Cowan added, "If they're talking about how much Milestone meant to them, they're really talking about how much Dwayne meant to them."

Davis laughed as he recalled McDuffie's first year in Los Angeles.

"When Dwayne first came to LA, he was like a lot of people from the East Coast -- he couldn't drive," said Davis to laughter from the crowd. Davis remembered how he invited McDuffie to director Bill Duke's Christmas party. Before they went, however, McDuffie insisted on a haircut.

"If you know anything about black people from the inner city, the only place you can get your hair cut is in the hood -- but there's a pecking order in the African-American barbershop. Before you can join this conversation, you got to know what you're talking about, and who you're talking to, 'cause you can get shot!" said Davis. As the audience laughed, he continued, "So I'm telling this to Dwayne on the way to the barbershop in South Central. We get there and we walk in -- and the first thing he says is, 'What are we talking about?' To the entire group. I brace for the shot," said Davis, pausing for more laughter, "But that's just the way he was. He wasn't afraid of anything."

"He was six foot fifty and his voice sounded like a movie star," added Davis.

Famous for writing about thorny issues such as gang violence and racism in "Static" and other comics, McDuffie's bravery shone through his work.

"We couldn't have done [Milestone] without a brave editor-in-chief who was willing to talk about the issues that are important, and tackle things that were controversial. And they weren't controversial like Speedy taking drugs -- it was way beyond that kind of thing," said Cowan.

McDuffie's legacy will live on in the characters he created
    Above: The cover for the first issue of the new, ongoing "Static Shock" series
    "Realistic depictions of black life are always controversial," added Hudlin.

Family friend Kevin Rubio emphasized how important McDuffie's work was to all who grew up watching "Static Shock" and "Justice League."

"This summer, when 'Green Lantern' comes out, there's going to be a whole generation of kids who walk into the theatre and say, 'That's not the Green Lantern; the Green Lantern is John Stewart.' And that's because of Dwayne," said Rubio, citing the African-American "Justice League" character. The audience loudly agreed, erupting into wild applause.

On a personal level, there was one comic book character Rubio said he definitively associated with McDuffie. "Dwayne is Superman. He's very big in stature but approachable and honest and humble and caring, and when you're with him, he made you want to be better," said Rubio.

All four agreed the best way for those listening to remember McDuffie was to read his work and share it with their children.

"You want to honor Dwayne? Get the comic books. Get the DVDs. Watch the shows. Talk to your kids. Tell them what he did. Tell them they're looking at these black characters because of Dwayne," said Cowan.

"Familiarize yourself with his work, share it with friends, with family, but most of all with the children. Because they deserve heroes," concluded Hudlin.

^ Some info on Dwayne
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ^^^Co-? sign the bold. Don't get me wrong, Hal Jordan is still that dude, but I ? with Jon Stewart more and I know plenty of comic book geeks that do as well
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    took me complete surprise when I first found out he died.

even before I knew how invloed he was with the DCAU

I knew the comic industry took a blow from his lost
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Shout out to Static with the Malcolm X hat
    198866-70394-static_super.jpg
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    and the brother was real with it:

that daredevil quote was some real ?
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ^^^Co-? sign the bold. Don't get me wrong, Hal Jordan is still that dude, but I ? with Jon Stewart more and I know plenty of comic book geeks that do as well

When i heard that Common might be in the Green Lantern I was becoming proud of Hollywood...

then Reynolds was in it and i was smh....
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    When i heard that Common might be in the Green Lantern I was becoming proud of Hollywood...

then Reynolds was in it and i was smh....

Nah I think Common was supposed to be GL in the Justice League movie...which got shelved
  • nujerz84
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nah I think Common was supposed to be GL in the Justice League movie...which got shelved

IF DC was smart they should tie The next Batman Movie at the end of the credits to upcoming SUperman movie to build a Justice League Movie like what Marvel did for Avengers..
  • ShencotheMC
    edited September 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    IF DC was smart they should tie The next Batman Movie at the end of the credits to upcoming SUperman movie to build a Justice League Movie like what Marvel did for Avengers..

Thing is with Marvel they had already had the characters singular movies planned out to establish a fan base for those characters. If they tried to do a Justice League movie that way then they'd have to get in overdrive with getting the movies out....or maybe not who knows.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    and the brother was real with it:

damn knowledge was been dropped
  • nujerz84
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thing is with Marvel they had already had the characters singular movies planned out to establish a fan base for those characters. If they tried to do a Justice League movie that way then they'd have to get in overdrive with getting the movies out....or maybe not who knows.

They could do it if Im not mistaking Warner Bros owns the rights to almost all the DC characters and Nolan is doing the new Superman movie so if he was slick he throw in a Superman reference at the end of credits of the new Batman movie. IMO I prefer Justice League over Avengers anyway...
  • Dukeofthe757
    Dukeofthe757 Members Posts: 7
    edited September 2011
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    damn knowledge was been dropped

Wow. That's some real talk right there. I'm glad he used the examples he did, every white comic book "fan" should see this...but some of them would probably just come up with another reason to hate.
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
    Well since Superman and Wonder Woman are now a thing I thought it'd be appropriate to remind y'all of that batwondy goodness

2562378-1252011_batvsdiana_jlasf1_super.jpgwonder_woman_heals_batman_by_ansem3-d38sew8.jpg
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you ? trippin, Batman is a proud Hard On Hoes member

2l8c37b.png
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need a McDuffie type of person to make video games ... Proud black hero's have been ignored for too long.