Official R&R Book Club

Bodhi
Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
This thread is for intelligent discussion on favorite books, books read, influential authors and works that changed your life and/or way of thinking. What's in your backlog?

Right now, I'm reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X, at home, and usually at work, I'm in Pantheism: A non theistic concept of deity. In the book, it references Spinoza' s Ethics and Lao Tzu' s Tao Te Ching, both of which I own and intend to 're read alongside Levine's Pantheism.

Recently purchased the I Ching.

My backlog consists of that, Principia, John G. Jackson's Introduction to African Civilizations, Euclid' s Elements, The Analects of Confucius, African Cosmology of the Bantu Kongo, The Harmony of the World, A Treatise of Human Nature, African Spirituality, and the Tibetan Book of the Dead

Favorite book may be the Tao Te Ching, Huey P. Newton' s Revolutionary Suicide

I enjoy the Dhammapada, other Buddhist suttas and What The Buddha Taught

Books that changed my life are those previously mentioned, The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, and Wayne Chandler' s Ancient Future

Comments

• Drew_Ali
    Drew_Ali Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thread...........

Brother Chandler states, “We have studied Darwin’s theory of evolution and though it contradicts every ancient codex on the subject, we still insist that it is a valid model of how human and animal evolved.” p.215

I disagree.........

& digress............

I am working on this now..........

518eJ2vHTyL._SS500_.jpg

I enjoy the classics.......

Strabo, Herodotus, Tacitus..........

"but the parts on the left side of the course of the Nile, in Libya, are inhabited by Nubae, a large tribe, who, beginning at Meroê, extend as far as the bends of the river, and are not subject to the Aethiopians but are divided into several separate kingdoms."

Proof/evidence of "Africans" in Libya..............

This one was good.......

iC2e62rj35Mw.jpg

Too many to backlog...........

• Bodhi
    edited March 2013
    My thing with Chandler is this: I agree on most points he made throughout the book and Tehuti' s principles are what motivated me to delve into philosophy, religion and science so the Kybalion is a very important book for me although I like Chandlers Ancient Future better because he was able to take it further. His research was outstanding. But the disagreement with Darwin was made last minute in the conclusion; I think he could have explained why he doesn't agree but he didn't do that so I take his objection to evolution with a grain of salt. He did not explain why evolution cannot co exist with the hermetic principles. Besides that, that the book is amazing. I have two copies cuz one has been marked, highlighted and torn so much
  • Drew_Ali
    I wont "wreck" your thread.........

I would have also liked for Chandler to explain himself further......

However, I feel like it is explained in the principles...........

This is probably one of my favorites........

Civilization-or-Barbarism-9781556520488__91340_zoom.jpg

This is good too.....

war_against_the_weak.large.jpg

• Bodhi
    I'll check em out
  • Drew_Ali

Cosign Tao Te Ching, powerful book........

Pantheism: A non theistic concept of deity

Sounds interesting......

But doesn't that make atheism a form of spirituality or belief?????

• Bodhi
    edited March 2013
    Well I've been reading and analyzing concepts and systems of thought, especially Asian spirituality and philosophy. The yin and yang principles of Taoism are, as Chandler states, the dualistic principles of gender, Kala and Zima; two sides of the same One Unity, The Ultimate Reality. My study of Taoist philosophy has made this clearer to me, which is why I have the backlog that I do.
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2013
    As far as atheism and my personal beliefs are concerned, I do not believe in ? ; I am not a theist. But I do consider myself a spiritual person.

Like the Kybalion says,

"And still more presumptuous are those who attempt to ascribe to THE ALL the personality, qualities, properties, characteristics and attributes of themselves, ascribing to THE ALL the human emotions, feelings, and characteristics, even down to the prettiest qualities of mankind, such as jealousy, susceptibility to flattery and praise, desire for offerings and worship, and all other survivals from the days of the childhood of the race. Such ideas are not worthy of grown men and women, and are rapidly being discarded ... Theology means the attempts of men to ascribe personality, qualities, and characteristics to it; their theories regarding its affairs, will, desires, plans and designs; and their assumption of the office of middle-men between THE ALL and the people."

Theism is the erroneous personification of Nature, Lao Tzu' s Tao and Spinoza' s Substance as well as Tehuti' s ALL
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @teardrops a great ? thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's is some great books about to be drop, I been lacking on books for a year or so but i'm slowly comig back around to it.....

JUST ORDER product_thumbnail.php?productId=15771678&resolution=320 FROM Amazon.............
  • Bodhi
    Added to backlog

41SfE%2BiCYdL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
  • Drew_Ali
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    The Silent Revolution in Cancer and AIDS Medicine
    Heinrich Kremer

AIDS And the Doctors of Death: An Inquiry into the Origin of the AIDS Epidemic
    Alan Cantwell

The African Unconscious: Roots of Ancient Mysticism and Modern Psychology

The Ausar Auset Nutrition Handbook
    Ra UN Nefer Amen

The Beautiful Invisible: Creativity, Imagination, and Theoretical Physics
    Giovanni Vignale
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions
    David Berlinski

? of the Possible: A Biblical Introduction to the Open View of ?
    Greg Boyd

ZULU HEART & lion's blood
    steven barnes
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2013
    [quote="melanated khemist;5629662"]The African Unconscious: Roots of Ancient Mysticism and Modern Psychology
    [/quote]

Thank you. After taking a look at it, I'm interested in picking this one up.

Edit: Actually, I see two books by this author. I'm gonna check this one out too

[img]http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9781594774720_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG[/img]

[quote="melanated khemist;5629662"]The Ausar Auset Nutrition Handbook
    [/quote]

Where can I find a good copy of this??
  • melanated khemist
    @Oceanic, how are you?

I own @ 5 books from Edward Bruce Bynum you really cant go wrong with him. I even have his poetry book (Chronicles of the Pig & Other Delusions) which is pretty good. i checked amazon and cant find The Ausar Auset Nutrition book anymore.

The Kemetic Diet: Food For Body, Mind and Soul, A Holistic Health Guide by Muata Ashby

the melanin diet by Deanne Meningallis

The Hood Health Handbooks v1&2 multiple authors

The Live Food Factor: The Comprehensive Guide to the Ultimate Diet for Body, Mind, Spirit & Planet
    Susan E. Schenck, Victoria BidWell
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2013
    I'm well, brother. How about yourself?

[quote="melanated khemist;5631584"]The Kemetic Diet: Food For Body, Mind and Soul, A Holistic Health Guide by Muata Ashby

the melanin diet by Deanne Meningallis
    [/quote]

Props. Are these vegetarian?

I've been constant with this diet for about 2 or 3 years and I always tell people I feel a lot better than I did while I was eating beef, pork, poultry, seafood, and other meats. I was talking to the sister who locked my hair and she taught me a lot about diet, that black people suffer because of their poor diet and that we should start eating things that come from the earth and more specifically the land where our ancestors originate, as do asians, italians, and other groups.
  • melanated khemist
    they basically are... I agree about eating healthy, i blend and juice around 75% of my diet. Blending kale and other leafy greens is a great way to get chlorophyll/alkaline.

copy and paste

Chlorophyll has the power to regenerate our bodies at the molecular and cellular level and is known to help cleanse the body, fight infection, help heal wounds, and promote the health of the circulatory, digestive, immune, and detoxification systems. Chlorophyll consumption increases the number of red blood cells and, therefore, increase oxygen utilization by the body. Chlorophyll also reduces the binding of carcinogens to DNA in the liver and other organs. It also breaks down calcium oxalate stones for elimination, which are created by the body for the purpose of neutralizing and disposing of excess acid.

great thread
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Drew_Ali wrote: »
    Damn @janklow...........
    Can we get a sticky?.?.?.?
    eh, i don't know
  • Bodhi
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently reading "Black Redneck and White Liberals" - Thomas Sowell. It's really interesting seeing that a lot of the Ghetto culture copied the Celtic culture from the rednecks and poor whites. Even from leaving the children or letting the women work and bring in the money and doing outlandish look at me clothing (nothing wrong with it but how we let it consume us) and foolish attributes of declaring religion and doing the complete opposite of what the religion transcribes us to do and using it as a shield to gain knowledge and to change our lives, etc. Good read if you get the chance to.
  • Bodhi
    Just started Ellen Chen's translation of the Tao Te Ching. Reading on tablet @ work and when in spare time.
    Bought, yesterday, a copy of John C.H. Wu's translation:
    21709.jpg

At home, I'm reading An Introduction to African Civilizations:
    introduction-african-civilizations-john-g-jackson-paperback-cover-art.jpg

• melanated khemist
    edited June 2013
    Mathematics in the Time of the Pharaohs
    Richard J. Gillings

Edit: wrong book, sorry.
    Mathematics of Physics and Modern Engineering
    Ivar Stephen Sokolnikoff, Raymond M. Redheffer

this is the one I meant to suggest.

Physics, Mathematics, Biology, Applied Science (English Studies) [Import] [Paperback]
    William F. Hawkins (Author), Ronald Mackin

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
    Michael Pollan

The Globalization of Poverty and the New World Order
    Michel Chossudovsky

Four Chapters on Freedom: Commentary on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
    Swami Satyananda Saraswati

Human Action: A Treatise on Economics
    Ludwig von Mises, Bettina Bien Greaves

Everyone's Guide to Atoms, Einstein, and the Universe
    Robert L. Piccioni Ph.D.

Afrikan Genesis: Amazing Stories of Man's Beginnings
    Ishakamusa Barashango
  • melanated khemist
    51H2EXGC8EL._SY300_.jpg
    Anthony T. Browder

51R4yU2Q6XL._SY300_.jpg
    John Henrik Clarke

51ZhR418v2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    Terence Dickinson

51J31aZlT7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    Deanna Spingola
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn i was wonderin where this thread was at... used to be in G&S now its tucked away in R&R.. knowledge does have to be sought tho.

anyway, my current readings:

41J19G10E4L.jpg

61RZulJvzOL.jpg

51DRjPOYf6L.jpg

41K0S6ANYEL.jpg