Unreal Engine 4, Frostbite 3 Will Not Support Wii U - [UPDATED] Can run UE4

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in IllGaming

"It's next-gen technology."

When someone asks if Unreal Engine 4 will work on Wii U, Epic co-founder Mark Rein bursts out laughing. "No," he says.

Following an Unreal Engine presentation at 2013's Game Developer Conference, Rein clarifies his response to IGN, still laughing, "I just laugh at the question...Unreal Engine 4, we're not PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, or Wii U. It's next-gen technology. That's what we're aiming for."

So while UE4 proper won't make its way onto Wii U, Rein explains that developers are capable of porting software powered by the engine. "The truth is, if a developer wanted to take an Unreal Engine game and put it on Wii U, they could," Rein continues. "Unreal Engine 3 is kicking ass on Wii U. The best games on Wii U are made on our technology. What more do you want from us?"

In addition, says Eurogamer, Nintendo's hardware won't see the likes of Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age 3's Frostbite Engine 3.

Comments

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and these nintendo stans keep telling me everything's ok
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I don't give a ? what engine they use. Never been a graphics ? and I never will be. As long as the engines the games are coded with are engaging and lead to seamless non glitchy gaming I'm good. I don't need TOP OF THE LINE PS4 type of gaming environments.

The real problem is these muthafuckas need to release games and market them ? because that platform is a ghost town. I told myself I'd get one when Pikmin 3, Game & Wario and the Wonderful 101 came out. Those look like real killer apps designed to take complete advantage of the system's gimmick controls to the fullest from the ground up. And that's what I want to see. Games that are made to fit within the systems real capabilities and not ports of games from other consoles.

Going by what I read over at the gaf I ain't the only one either. Yet those games were supposed to BE out by now but they keep delaying them to release software worth purchasing all in one shot in the 3rd and 4th quarters. The problem is it leaves them with no software worth purchasing RIGHT NOW in the second quarter. Which means they not getting my money anytime soon. Ninty hustling backwards so far this gen.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grown men play Pikmin?
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Doesnt surprise me Wii U specs are similar to the Current Gens specs, but its a console for Kids and Super casual Gamers.

*Shrugs.

I bet the IW engine, will continue to run perfectly on it, with no problems.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL game engines have way more to do with than just graphics.Framerste,physics,A.I., animation and everything that makes the game is included with the engine ...which is why Nintendo games play like ? .
  • Broddie
    Options
    I guess the words "environment" and "glitchy" aren't enough to drive a subtle point to simple minds. Everything has to be spelled out.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    I don't give a ? what engine they use. Never been a graphics ? and I never will be. As long as the engines the games are coded with are engaging and lead to seamless non glitchy gaming I'm good. I don't need TOP OF THE LINE PS4 type of gaming environments.

The real problem is these muthafuckas need to release games and market them ? because that platform is a ghost town. I told myself I'd get one when Pikmin 3, Game & Wario and the Wonderful 101 came out. Those look like real killer apps designed to take complete advantage of the system's gimmick controls to the fullest from the ground up. And that's what I want to see. Games that are made to fit within the systems real capabilities and not ports of games from other consoles.

Going by what I read over at the gaf I ain't the only one either. Yet those games were supposed to BE out by now but they keep delaying them to release software worth purchasing all in one shot in the 3rd and 4th quarters. The problem is it leaves them with no software worth purchasing RIGHT NOW in the second quarter. Which means they not getting my money anytime soon. Ninty hustling backwards so far this gen.

Why would you not want to play games on the best possible engine? Wii games felt realky cheap and it had nothing to di with graphics.Nothing on the Wii came close to MGS, Splinter Cell or GOW and those games were on older hardware.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    I guess the words "environment" and "glitchy" aren't enough to drive a subtle point to simple minds. Everything has to be spelled out.

But Nintendo games have tons of glitches.Wind Waker was a mess when I played through and Wii sports had its share too.
  • Broddie
    Options

Why would you not want to play games on the best possible engine? Wii games felt realky cheap and it had nothing to di with graphics.Nothing on the Wii came close to MGS, Splinter Cell or GOW and those games were on older hardware.

Maybe because that's not why I would play games on a Nintendo console for?

LMAO @ ? still thinking that people consider a Nintendo system a primary console now a days. If I want bells and whistles that's what Sony and MS' next joints are build for.

The comparisons to MGS, Splinter Cell or GOW is your opinion not a fact. I tired of those franchises 2 generations ago and found more entertainment value in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, The Last Story and Metroid: Other M than I did the last iterations of said franchises.
  • Broddie
    edited March 2013
    Options
    But Nintendo games have tons of glitches.Wind Waker was a mess when I played through and Wii sports had its share too.

Wind Waker came out 2 generations ago. If you're trying to prove a point stop using examples from the distant past. Wii Sports was never designed with complex coding in mind it is as simple and thrown together as it gets.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    I am saying that no matter what game or console you play on you should want the game to be at its best possible.What is there not to understand? Basically you are fine with Nintendo being lazy? I personally want the best and only have time and money for the best.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Dog I am not talking about personal taste I sm saying those games were better designed than the Znintendo games. I found Metroid Prime to be sn overrated sleepfest but the engine was actually well designef unlike the usual Nintendo game.
  • Broddie
    Options
    I am saying that no matter what game or console you play on you should want the game to be at its best possible.

Of course. The best possible for the capabilities of said console. How the hell you gonna slight a console for not being able to handle an engine it was never designed to handle in the first place? where's the logic?
    What is there not to understand? Basically you are fine with Nintendo being lazy? I personally want the best and only have time and money for the best.

No I'm not fine with Nintendo being lazy. This is why I didn't even buy a Wii and gamed on my girlfriend's console. At the same time the same applies to the other 2 companies too. I was disappointed all across the board last gen and that's why it's the first gen where I didn't buy a non-portable console for the first time in my 25 years of playing video games.

• aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Following an Unreal Engine presentation at 2013's Game Developer Conference, Rein clarifies his response to IGN, still laughing, "I just laugh at the question...Unreal Engine 4, we're not PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, or Wii U. It's next-gen technology. That's what we're aiming for."

1363537527_tumblr_inline_mg318iqif41r7j4bg.gif
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Grown men play Pikmin?

Damn straight you insecure ass ? .

Managing a living garden designed by one of the GOATS >>>> shooting at cussing teenagers online in the latest trendy shooter.

Why not just take up gardening as a hobby though, you can do that in real life with no ramifications?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so seriously, what's the over/under for Mario games on Playstation? 10 years?
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    so seriously, what's the over/under for Mario games on Playstation? 10 years?

I'll put $ 1000 on the over
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, nobody buys Nintendo consoles for third party games. Check.
    Nintendo themselves, would never use a third partY engine to build any of their 1st party games. OK.
    So, why does this matter again? LOL.

The Wii also didn't run Unreal Engine 3 or Frostbite Engine 2, yet this didn't stop Nintendo from making the same great 1st party games as always.

Nintendo could also buy Epic several times over if they gave a ? .

• Broddie
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Karl. wrote: »
    Grown men play Pikmin?

Damn straight you insecure ass ? .

Managing a living garden designed by one of the GOATS >>>> shooting at cussing teenagers online in the latest trendy shooter.

Why not just take up gardening as a hobby though, you can do that in real life with no ramifications?

I live in New York City and I'm not bourgeois enough to have a garden in an apartment.
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    Update:

Speaking with Engadget, Epic's Mark Rein doubled back on his previous comments to IGN concerning Wii U and Unreal Engine 4. "If someone wants to take Unreal Engine 4 and ship a game on Wii U, they can," Rein said. "If they wanna ship an Unreal Engine 4 game on Xbox 360, they could make it happen." The scalable nature of Unreal Engine means we'll see it running in browsers and mobile in the future -- and maybe current-gen consoles as well. Why Rein denied it so aggressively in the first place isn't certain.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He must have been ? at the time.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options