The Jackson Siblings: 2001

rip.dilla
rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in R&B & Alternatives
. . 2001, a lovely year I recall for music and life in general

51OeVDa7znL._SL500_.jpg

Released in April of 2001, it went straight to #1 on the Billboard charts

It was wholly produced by the Flyte Tyme duo of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. The sound on this album was sonic, atmospheric and slightly on the abstract tip; one song meshing into another.

There's like a section of just ? songs early into the album that just flow into each other and on one of them, a simulated sound of her '? '

All in all this is one of my favourite albums from Janet . .

51M2mJM-9EL._SL500_.jpg

Released in October of 2001, this is MJ's last studio album which went on record to become allegedly the most expensive ever recorded (estimates put it at $25 million at the time)

There were also tales of tinkering and rehashing of songs, numerous cuts and mixing etc with Mike being a perfectionist/control freak .. .

I really listened to it in its entirety in 2002 and then I thought it was OK. It sounded a bit modern to anything I'd heard off Mike

I re-copped it this week and listened to it this morning, with a mature ear and over a decade later I have to say its a well produced and arranged album. Producers included the cream of RnB producers: Teddy Riley, BabyFace, Rodney Jerkins, R. Kelly and Andre Harris

The album sadly didn't do well commercially because Mike's personal image was already tarnished with child molestation allegations.

So which do you guys choose as the better album overall? Lyrics, production, song-writing and arrangement?

The Jackson Siblings: 2001 6 votes

All For You
50%
rip.dillafocusWonder Girl 3 votes
Invincible
50%
buttuh_bsouth4lifeCashmoneyDux 3 votes

Comments

• south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible
    I loved Invincible and it was a slept on album.
    Heaven Can Wait, Break of Dawn, You Rock My World, Butterflies, Speechless, You Are My Life, Don't Walk Away, Cry and Whatever Happens are my favorite songs on the album.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible
    ? , this is too hard. I'm gonna have to think about this one. At the time I didn't even appreciate Janet like that but I was really into Mike. You Rock My World was a monster single! You had records like Break of Dawn, Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait, etc.. Michael showed out and still had it vocally on tracks like Speechless. Really Mike didn't lose a step on this album although it might have been a little filler.

All For You is probably a top 3 Janet album and that's saying a lot coming from one of the GOAT discographies. This album is solid top to bottom. It produced the epic "Would You Mind" that she has the goat stage performance to. This album was just real sexy down to all the rain drops. The self-titled All For You song was blazing the radio in 2001. I remember it like yesterday.

Damn 2001 was a great year in my life along with 1998 and 2005. This makes me miss Michael.
  • buttuh_b
    Invincible
    I thought about it comprehensively and ima have to go with Invincible. The production/arrangement was more detailed and like you said Mike was a perfectionist and it shows in his work.

I may be biased because I'm a MJ Stan. Only entertainer I ever choked someone out over before. But Janet is probably may favorite female singer ironically.. Along with Sade and Nina Simone.
  • rip.dilla
    All For You
    LOL

My favourite joint off Invincible is 'Butterflies' produced by the maestro behind A Touch Of Jazz, the Philly production outfit run by Andre Harris, which kinda influenced that 'Neo-Soul' sound of the late 90 to early '00s and the dude responsible for Jill Scott's brilliant debut . .

(There was a remix featuring Eve, the rapper)

It was written by Marsha Ambrocious (she does back-up vocals on the song) and she re-recorded it on her last LP as a tribute
  • buttuh_b
    Invincible
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL

My favourite joint off Invincible is 'Butterflies' produced by the maestro behind A Touch Of Jazz, the Philly production outfit run by Andre Harris, which kinda influenced that 'Neo-Soul' sound of the late 90 to early '00s and the dude responsible for Jill Scott's brilliant debut . .

It was written by Marsha Ambrocious (she does back-up vocals on the song) and she re-recorded it on her last LP as a tribute

Marsha wrote Butterflies?!? Damn, I heard it on her last album but I never knew that.

Funny story about that song. I was chillin with my close home girl one time and I was skyping this one skeezer (my homegirl wasnt in camera view) so I told shorty on Skype like "Yo it's a song that reminds me of you".. She's like what song.. I said "Butterflies". She said whose that by?? I said "The King of Pop".. she said 'Jason Derulo???'

Me and my home girl was dying laughing.
  • rip.dilla
    All For You
    LMAO

This generation . .
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL

Marsha wrote Butterflies?!? Damn, I heard it on her last album but I never knew that.

Funny story about that song. I was chillin with my close home girl one time and I was skyping this one skeezer (my homegirl wasnt in camera view) so I told shorty on Skype like "Yo it's a song that reminds me of you".. She's like what song.. I said "Butterflies". She said whose that by?? I said "The King of Pop".. she said 'Jason Derulo???'

Me and my home girl was dying laughing.

Yeah the original Butterflies was by Marsha and she killed it, MJ liked the song and asked could he record it, like how Luther and Anita Baker redo other artists songs but, put their twist on it and he did his thing on it too, I like both version's here is Marsha's version by herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiXxFi-2TA
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ that's tight I didn't know marsha ambrose/floetry originated butterflies. both versions are good I like mj's version better because of the horns.