Which Video Is More Epic? SMOOTH CRIMINAL vs. THRILLER

2»

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but...I...don't think music videos even had choreography before Thriller? Like, wasn't Thriller the first music video to ever feature a group of people all dancing in sync? Music videos were still a pretty new medium at the time so I think Thriller really was the first. 'Beat It' had some in sync choreography, but nothing like Thriller. That was more like a routine. When you look at it like that, and how many careers that one video birthed as a result...its hard to deny Thriller.
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    edited March 2013
    Patent number 5255452, filed in 1992, shows how Michael Jackson and his dancers could lean at 45-degree angles during live performances of the song “Smooth Criminal”.
    smoothcriminalshoes.jpg

What exactly's goin on in that first pic?

Oh I get it...it's his heels..
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smooth Criminal is the coolest music video ever ? made!

Thank u Joe Jackson.
  • militant292
    militant292 Members Posts: 1
    Thriller PF course.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smooth Criminal. I love Thriller and used to play the actually record on the old record player and when that song came on it was over my little ass dancing like a fool. But Smooth Criminal and what I remember of Moonwalker, MJ was the coldest in that ? . Kickin ass while dance and shootin a dude then just bustin with a tommy gun. That damn lean almost made me ? my damn head open as a kid and when the dude died a few years back (I was on MJ kick an hour before the news hit that he died actually). I still do little dances while sitting and listening to to it.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patent number 5255452, filed in 1992, shows how Michael Jackson and his dancers could lean at 45-degree angles during live performances of the song “Smooth Criminal”.
    smoothcriminalshoes.jpg

I remember my dad showed me this when I was younger when I asked him how they do that, my dad was trying to get something patent in the early 90's and that's how he found out about MJ's patent.

• south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reapin505 wrote: »
    Smooth Criminal. I love Thriller and used to play the actually record on the old record player and when that song came on it was over my little ass dancing like a fool. But Smooth Criminal and what I remember of Moonwalker, MJ was the coldest in that ? . Kickin ass while dance and shootin a dude then just bustin with a tommy gun. That damn lean almost made me ? my damn head open as a kid and when the dude died a few years back (I was on MJ kick an hour before the news hit that he died actually). I still do little dances while sitting and listening to to it.

That's crazy that u say that because, that morning on the day he died I was playing nothing but MJ getting ready for work, going to work, at work, leaving work and before I went to school, I took a nap and my cousin texted me that he was in critical condition I was like ok I hope he is alright then, he texted me 5 minutes later and said he was dead, my cousin lives in California so he knew why before it was on CNN here in Georgia.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn . .

I was in London when the news broke of his death

A surreal moment. I remmember watching some political show that Thursday evening on BBC when it was interrupted with their World News channel announcing 'Breaking News'

I was stunned for like a minute before I alerted my peeps . .
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thriller. The song is second to none.
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Thriller, no question

MJ use to gave the GOAT dance sequences.... miss that!!
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Thriller have it's own video game though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLqiNduD3Sk
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    WELL I WAS AROUND WHEN THRILLER DROP and as a young pup in 1983 I remember the anticipation for the thriller video was ? huge and when the video dropped it was so damn big that it was the talk that whole year.

When when me and my sister went to my grandma's house they taped the video from late night video show and we used to the the whole zombie thriller dance infront of grandma me and my cousins...

Michael Jackson's Thriller is a 13-minute-and-43-second-long music video for the song of the same name released on December 2, 1983 and directed by John Landis, who also co wrote the screenplay with Michael Jackson.

Voted as the most influential pop music video of all time, Thriller proved to have a profound effect on popular culture, and was named "a watershed moment for the [music] industry" for its unprecedented merging of filmmaking and music. Guinness World Records listed it in 2006 as the "most successful music video", selling over nine million copies. In 2009, the video was inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress, the first music video to ever receive this honor, for being “culturally, historically or aesthetically” significant. It is also the most watched music video of all time, seen by more than four billion people all over the world.