Anyone manage to get ripped? What kind of diet did you/do you have?

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Weight Room
I was close to getting a chiseled six pack about 6-7 weeks ago... after a fast food binge though my stomach fat went back up and now I gotta get back on track with dieting and cardio.

I wanted to know if anyone has gone from flab to fab here though, and if so what their diet was. Opinions on workouts online are very similar everywhere, but diets differ like crazy from place to place. I've tried low carb high protein but that ? is too pricy, now I'm trying high carbs and protein, low fat and small portions every 4 hrs...

What kind of diet do you see results with?

Comments

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Never been flabby, but I will pick up some weight if I don't stay on it.

I've seen good results with different things but right now I'm getting good results with IF and fasted weight lifting. Some cardio here and there, uphill walking about 3 days a week. 4 pack in lower 2 peaking through but not chiseled at the moment. V-taper there. Legs, back, shoulders, everything else on point.

I've done the low carb way. It works for burning fat easily, but it's hard to stick with long term. That, and your muscles will start to look flat and your workouts will start to taper back due to less glycogen storage in the muscles which carbs provide. To make a long story short, you'll keep your strength but be able to bang out less reps with weights (your muscles will have less fuel for lifting).

Right now, I'm doing moderate to high carbs and sufficient protein with IF (Intermittent Fasting). Eating from 3pm-11pm (or 2-10, or 4-12, whatever 8 hours). Fat low-ish to sufficient. The keys for that are the fasted cardio and weight training. This keeps the metabolism up and burns fat easier since blood sugar (less insulin) is lower during training. Also drinking a lot of water helps get rid of the extra water weight brought on from going high carb.
  • scarfacetf
    scarfacetf Members Posts: 59
    Options
    I've had the most success with the Renegade diet by Jason ferrugia. Its basically a mixture of paleo, intermittent fasting, and the warrior diet. I've mixed this eating plan with crossfit football. I make consistent gains with weight training all while losing fat. I started 3 months ago with about a decent looking 4 pack maybe, to a defined six pack, and now my upper two abs are coming out, so its turning into An 8 pack. I've never looked better in my life.
  • bigstevie
    bigstevie Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Options
    Carb cycling worked best for me...n went ketogenic towards the end
  • gr8VALue
    gr8VALue Members Posts: 221 ✭✭
    Options
    Count macros & IF. Been doing IF for a year now, whether I'm bulking or cutting & I always count macros, works for me & others I help train
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I aint with all those carb counting micro ? , i dont have time for that ? ...ECA, cardio run 6 times a week and try to eat clean, the only time i do that carb cycling ? when i go find a plan on the net that is easy to follow
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    scarfacetf wrote: »
    I've had the most success with the Renegade diet by Jason ferrugia. Its basically a mixture of paleo, intermittent fasting, and the warrior diet. I've mixed this eating plan with crossfit football. I make consistent gains with weight training all while losing fat. I started 3 months ago with about a decent looking 4 pack maybe, to a defined six pack, and now my upper two abs are coming out, so its turning into An 8 pack. I've never looked better in my life.

i'm bout to try that
  • LUClEN
    Options
    scarfacetf wrote: »

Which site did you get your diet outline from?

I think fasting will be a lot more convenient for me, as eating every 3 hours is not always viable, particularly when I'm in class or at work
  • scarfacetf
    scarfacetf Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Got it directly from his site I believe., and fasting is GOAT, makes things so damn simple
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I copped some ECGC, ephedrine and caffeine today

gonna read some more about proper dosing and start adding them to my diet
  • leftcoastkev
    edited February 2013
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    I copped some ECGC, ephedrine and caffeine today

gonna read some more about proper dosing and start adding them to my diet

Did you get Primatines or Bronkaids?

take it slooow start here --> http://www.hotnfit.com/fat_loss/ecstack.html

I dosed off half (12.5mg E/100mg C) for 2 weeks before i upped to the full dose (25mg E/200mg C with 1000mg of L-Tyrosine).
    I never took it 3 times a day. At most 2, but now I only take it pre-workout only. I don't take it on days I don't work out.

The Primatines come in 12.5mg E so it's easier to take those and simply split a caffeine pill in half. This will give you 100mg of C and 12.5mg of E which on the surface doesn't sound like much but if you're new to it, it's still gonna hit you hard. The Bronkaids come in 25mg pills but you can take a pill splitter or a knife and chop them in half if you got those. If you drink coffee, tea, or other caffeinated drinks be aware that the extra caffeine in those will amplify the effects (so be aware of what you put in your body). Don't ? with alcohol within 6 hours of taking it either. You'll need to drink a lot of water when you're on EC especially if you're going to try to run it more than once a day.

Be aware that it only works to a degree. It blunts hunger a bit for many people but if you simply like to eat for the taste of food (like me) it may not do all that much in that department. If you read studies, there are a few that suggest that at most you'll burn an extra 70 calories a day.

Before you go adding anything extra in, you really gotta run a self check....
    1. Is your diet already dialed in (you know how much you need to eat to reach your goal)?
    2. Is your training already dialed in (your routine where you want it)?
    3. Have you already been dedicated to those 2 above for a good time?

Your diet and dedication will get you 85-90% toward your goals. The supplements are just that, supplements. Again, there are no magic pills.

Be safe brah, don't jump into the full dose.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I said ? it and full dosed b.

? got me feeling good
    I only slept 5 hours and i'm in beast mode, ready to ? this exam I gotta write
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Anyone else get really aggressive when taking ec stack?

Im thinkin violent thoughts about anyone inconveniencing me in even the slightest way; this is not normal for me.
  • leftcoastkev
    edited February 2013
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Anyone else get really aggressive when taking ec stack?

Im thinkin violent thoughts about anyone inconveniencing me in even the slightest way; this is not normal for me.

I'm usually happier within 20-25 minutes, but ready to smash the weights.

FWIW, EC will screw with anxiety issues if you are prone to them.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I think it just took awhile for my body to adjust to the adrenaline. I am calmer now when I take it. The results have been amazing so far, can't believe I am just doing this now.

Only thing is when I have noticed I do not feel the effects in the same way as I did the first couple days. Is this a sign I should take some time off and then start doing it again?

I am currently taking 24 mg Ephedrine & 200 mg Caffeine three times a day. From what I've read increasing dosage is extremely risky.

• LUClEN
    Options
    Eca stack is insane.

Cant wait to run my daa, pes erase, mucuna pruriens, grape seed extract bulk stack after this.
  • bigstevie
    bigstevie Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Options
    Cycle in a bit of t3 and ur gold
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone tried that gladiator smoothie at smoothie kings? 45g protein...