Telsa Models S car that gets 200-300 elctric miles range yall ? aintheard of this

Options
politicalthug202
politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Let Me Ride
This white boy on work put me on this,SMH at ? not being on this.

On Sunday, Tesla Motors reported that it was profitable through the first quarter of the year, which is the first time in the electric car maker's history that it turned a profit during any financial period. Now, it is true that we're just talking about three months of money making after years of losses. But Tesla has now made the point that many folks in the auto industry once thought it never would: electric cars can make money.

Tesla was founded way back in 2003, but it wasn't until 2008 that it started selling its Roadster, an electric sports car based on the high tech, lightweight aluminum chassis of a Lotus Elise. Developing a sporty car around an existing chassis is cheap and makes for a good image, but the inherent compromises of the car–small range, small seats, small margins–meant it was unlikely to take Tesla to profitability. The simple fact is it's hard to sell a lot of two-seat roadsters, especially when you add range anxiety into the mix.

But while plenty of folks gave Tesla grief for those Roadster issues and more, CEO Elon Musk is nothing if not a dude who plays a long game. In 2012, Tesla dropped the Model S, a big luxury sedan that had everything the roadster lacked from a business standpoint. More seats meant more mass appeal, and positioning the car as a luxury ride (with the top of the range cresting $100k) means Tesla can pull in the revenue it needs with a lower volume.

More importantly, the Model S comes with one Roadster-beating stat that's all-important in electric car adoption: the largest battery pack available gives the car a range for 250-plus miles (Tesla claims 300, the EPA 265). I've seen more than a few of them cruising about, and there's no denying that it's an attractive car, as you'd expect for the money. But everything aside, the Model S proves that, in the US, range is still key.

That's proven in Tesla's own numbers. The Model S is offered with three different battery packs: an 85 kw/h for that 300 mile claimed range, 60 kw/h for 230 miles, and 40 kw/h for 160 miles. That base model, without add-ons, runs $59,900, and Tesla says only four percent of its customers went with that setup. The rest went for more options, sure, but they also went for more range. Overall, the company beat its 4,500 unit sales projection by a few hundred cars during the quarter.

Apparently this things selling like hot cakes out in cali and New Yprk 63K for aint bad for a luxury car
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/tesla-motors-is-profitable

I might comp the model S or wait for the crossover. model X

Comments