Cult Classics: "Donnie Darko"

Options
sdca
sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
I wanted to discuss certain movies considered to be “cult classics”...
that might interest those who haven't seen it, or don't understand the cult following it has.

I used Donnie Darko because I think it’s a good movie, and I know very few people who love it...
and more who are ? off @ this movie LOL, hated it and never looked back.

What did you like/hate?
Was it just simply a stupid plot,genre doesn't interest you, didn't understand, Gyllenhaal sucks, overrated… what?

I’m not in love with this movie, but I thought it was really good and would recommend.

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    When I seen this I was like WTF?
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i like this movie because its a different movie with a unique idea and i think it was well executed, acting was on point, camera angles etc..
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    even though i thought mulholland drive was the better movie that came out in 2001, i still admire donnie darko for its sheer originality and unconventional storyline
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    what the hell was it about...besides quantum physics and alternate realities
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited April 2010
    Options
    watch the directors cut and you will understand it more

and yea mulholland drive ? on this imo both good movies tho im just not a fan of bunnies unless snow is in front of it lol
  • Blue Libra
    Blue Libra Members Posts: 1,940 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    watch the directors cut and you will understand it more

and yea mulholland drive ? on this imo both good movies tho im just not a fan of bunnies unless snow is in front of it lol

cosign that
  • kakihara
    kakihara Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think Donnie Darko is pretty good. I remember seeing it for the first time in high school after reading so much stuff about it online. Honestly I don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who has even seen the movie, seems like a "cult classic" online.
  • will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    movie was ? ....
  • sweetnata19
    sweetnata19 Members Posts: 187
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I love Donnie Darko, the story was great and it was full of excellent performances by the entire cast. I don't remember being confused when watching it, was easy to undertand to me.
  • sdca
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol I didn't know Seth Rogen @ the time, so now whenever I watch..it’s just weird!

I also liked Mulholland Dr. I’d still give the slight edge to DD though.
    Something really strange/dark/creepy/weird, about that movie that gets me! Maybe Frank the rabbit lol idk.
  • sdca
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I love Donnie Darko, the story was great and it was full of excellent performances by the entire cast. I don't remember being confused when watching it, was easy to undertand to me.

Yeah, I got the gist of it on my first viewing, but there were just certain parts that left me confused.
    I had to watch it more to pick up on lil things…
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Always liked the film but never got anywhere near to understanding it. Lent the DVD to a housemate and she ended up running off with it so I haven't watched it in ages
  • KplusK
    KplusK Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    so was he dead all along your what?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That movie sucks. I watched it because I heard it was good and unique, but really it was just stupid. It didn't make any sense. I asked a couple people who raved about it and even they couldn't agree on what the point of the movie was. It's good for a movie to be vague in some ways, but the ? should make sense. On top of all that, it was boring.
  • sdca
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ^^
    Did you watch the director’s cut? I heard it explains everything, like renegade said...
    Was it certain parts that didn't make sense, or just the whole thing?

@ KplusK
    *spoiler* anyone who hasn't watched*

No, Donnie doesn't die until the end.
    He was supposed to die in the beginning, but gets out of bed because of Frank.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited April 2010
    Options
    sdca wrote: »
    ^^
    Did you watch the director’s cut? I heard it explains everything, like renegade said...
    Was it certain parts that didn't make sense, or just the whole thing?

@ KplusK
    *spoiler* anyone who hasn't watched*

No, Donnie doesn't die until the end.
    He was supposed to die in the beginning, but gets out of bed because of Frank.

I didn't watch the director's cut. I didn't hear the explanations though. To me, the explanations were insufficient. I don't even remember the movie anymore. I just now after I saw it and then got someone to explain some of the plot holes away, the explanations were weak.
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Wat i got from the movie was

basically he was supposed to die at the beginning...he didn't...so he saw everything that happened after that as being his fault...the deaths and everything else....so he goes back in time and this time does not go to see frank(the bunny) and stays in bed and dies so that the events that originally happened after that part do not happen this time because this time he is dead

i am still a little bit confused about how he traveled through time but i know it has something to do with the book he was reading and a big metal object(the jet engine) being like a portal/gateway type thing that part i would probly need to watch the movie again to grasp or just check out the directors cut(i only seen the movie once)
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I forget all my problems with the movie because it's been so long. However, one thing that I never understood is why Frank even appeared to him in the first place. After he escapes death, Frank is pretty much the agent the works to reveal the truth to him. Frank is also created as a result of the initial incident. So where did the Frank that spawned the whole mess come from? Was that Frank just a product of his mind? If that's the case, IMO tying carrying Frank along throughout the movie the way it was done was bad storytelling.
  • ReppinTime
    ReppinTime Members Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You think you get it and then you look it up online and theres a 1000 different explanations for what was happening in the movie
  • sdca
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I thought he appears to Donnie, because he is the one that killed Frank in the alternate future.
    We see Frank as a manipulated dead (scary rabbit), when he is really just a friend of Donnie’s sister.
    His purpose was guiding Donnie toward saving the universe.
  • sdca
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ReppinTime wrote: »
    You think you get it and then you look it up online and theres a 1000 different explanations for what was happening in the movie

right! I thought I had it lol, until hearing other peoples interpretations

I get confused when people say Donnie had to die @ the end, to save the Universe.
    I really didn't think he needed to die in order to do that...
  • KplusK
    KplusK Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    sdca wrote: »
    I thought he appears to Donnie, because he is the one that killed Frank in the alternate future.
    We see Frank as a manipulated dead (scary rabbit), when he is really just a friend of Donnie’s sister.
    His purpose was guiding Donnie toward saving the universe.

thats what it was if frank didnt come back to donnie to show him what happened then all those events wouldve happened. The only reason he stayed in bed the second time was cause he fell in love with shorty and she died thats what made hime change his mind about ? .And after talking to the teacher and reading the book he saw what it was and decided to die himself cause he already thought he was a lost cause so why ? anyone else...specially shorty then frank and all the other bs he put his family thru.