Rate My Presidents Volume 3: John F. Kennedy

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in The Social Lounge
Let's keep this series running. Here are the intro and rules again:
…I thought it'd be nice to discuss and rate these presidents and maybe even learn a thing or two about American history.

The rules are as simple as the American grading system for secondary schools: you vote and give the president an A, B, C, D, or F. The criteria for the grading are indefinite but should include major ones like handling of foreign and domestic political affairs, handling of the economy, handling of the American people and society, overall legacy on America, etc. If criteria such as personality, wit, fashion, etc. have to be counted, then please have them counted in only a minor way because the grade should be about how well the president did his job, not so much about what kind of person he was/is. And try to give some explanation for your final grade.

John_F._Kennedy%2C_White_House_color_photo_portrait.jpg

So, here we have John F. Kennedy, the 35th president of the United States. He was a president who had a short yet controversial stint as president. I’ll drop my opinion in a while. In the meantime, feel free to drop yours. And let me know which president you would like to grade next.
The SL has spoken. Here are the previous grades:

Volume 1 - The overall average grade result for Abraham Lincoln was a C+. A bit lower than I expected tbh, but some valid criticisms were made.

Volume 2 - The overall average grade result for Bill Clinton was also a C+. Also a bit lower than I expected, but we have a vocal conservative minority here in the SL, so I’m not surprised. I actually gave him a C myself.

Rate My Presidents Volume 3: John F. Kennedy 4 votes

A
0%
B
75%
mc317CashmoneyDuxDrew_Ali 3 votes
C
25%
Plutarch 1 vote
D
0%
F
0%

Comments

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B
    He gets a B because I liked him as an overall person and he meant well. But let's be honest, he dropped the ball a lot pertaining to foreign affairs. The Bay of Pigs invasion was a failure, and he almost started WW3 with the Cuban Missile Crisis. Also he kinda helped ? us in the long run by supporting the Coup in Iraq and he botched the situation in South Vietnam when Ngô Đình Diệm got killed in 1963. But he was the man for domestic policies. GDP went up when he was in office, and he helped our man James Meridith.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B
    ^bay of pigs was planned while eisenhower was in office, cia didnt tell kennedy about cuba plan
  • Drew_Ali
    Drew_Ali Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    B
    When I think of JFK, I think a ? in the game that did the best he could.........

He got a B off of this..........

http://youtu.be/eUvHwoBDmWw

Robert Kennedy called in 500 U.S. Marshals to take control, who were supported by the 70th Army Engineer Combat Battalion from Ft Campbell, Kentucky. They created a tent camp and kitchen for the US Marshals. To bolster law enforcement, President John F. Kennedy sent in U.S. Army military police from the 503rd Military Police Battalion, and called in troops from the Mississippi Army National Guard.[8] In the violent clash, two people died, including the French journalist Paul Guihard,[4] on assignment for the London Daily Sketch. He was found dead behind the Lyceum building with a gunshot wound to the back. One hundred-sixty US Marshals, one-third of the group, were injured in the melee, and 40 soldiers and National Guardsmen were wounded.[4][9] The US government fined Barnett $10,000 and sentenced him to jail for contempt, but the charges were later dismissed by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. Meredith's entry is regarded as a pivotal moment in the history of civil rights in the United States. He graduated on August 18, 1963 with a degree in political science.

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    C
    bump?

I thought about a B too, but I gave him a C instead. His presidency was too short to say much. But he did some bad and some good, so it evens out to me. The good: he helped out a little with the civil right's movement; he prevented a nuclear war and took out American missles in Turkey; he was a new kind of president (young, Irish, Catholic, etc.) that broke down a lot of barriers; his reasonable economic policy benefited the nation; etc. The bad: he escalated the Cold War with a meddlesome foreign policy; he didn't do enough for the civil right's movement; the Bay of Pigs was a fiasco and an embarrassment; etc.