Meanwhile...Muslims Community Helps Foil Terror Plot In Canada

Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
The two suspects in the alleged al Qaeda-backed plot to blow up a rail line between the United States and Canada appeared in court on Tuesday, as revelations emerged that the Muslim community helped foil the potentially deadly plan.

Police also said a tip from the Muslim community had helped their year-long investigation, Reuters reported.
"Had this plot been carried out, it would have resulted in innocent people being killed or seriously injured," Royal Canadian Mounted Police’s Assistant Commissioner James Malizia told reporters.

"The individuals were receiving support from al Qaeda elements located in Iran," he said.

WAIT WHAT

Iran denied any involvement in the alleged attack plan. “Iran's position against this group is very clear and well known. Al Qaeda has no possibility to do any activity inside Iran or conduct any operation abroad from Iran territory,” the Iranian Mission to the U.N. said in a statement to NBC News. “We reject strongly and categorically any connection to this story.”

Some security experts were surprised by the alleged link to al Qaeda factions in Iran, whose Shiite rulers have a generally hostile attitude toward the Sunni militant movement. Reuters explained:

Iran did host some senior al Qaeda figures under a form of house arrest in the years following the September 11 attacks, but there has been little to no evidence to date of joint attempts to execute violence against the West.

However, a U.S. government source said Iran is home to a little-known network of alleged al Qaeda fixers and "facilitators" based in the Iranian city of Zahedan, very close to Iran's borders with both Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The source said the operatives serve as go-betweens, travel agents and financial intermediaries for al Qaeda operatives and cells operating in Pakistan and moving through the area.

They do not operate under the protection of the Iranian government, which periodically launches crackdowns on the al Qaeda elements, though at other times appears to turn a blind eye to them.

Muhammad Robert Heft, a Muslim community leader in the Scarborough area of Canada's biggest city, told the Toronto Sun newspaper that he expected ordinary Muslims would experience problems because of the allegations.

"There is going to be backlash," Heft told the Sun. "But I want to reiterate. Who was the one who tipped the RCMP off? It was our community."

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/23/17873250-muslims-helped-foil-alleged-canada-train-bomb-plot?lite

Comments

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Queda is nothing more than a government backed boogie man. Y'all ? need a history lesson
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just more evidence that fuels my belief that Islam, like many other major religions, is a religion of peace. Those Islamic terrorists are only Muslim in name, and they should be ashamed of themselves. Those radicals are more politically inclined more than anything else; you can forget about the possibility of them having any sense of faithful, religious inclination.

Trivia:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8AwPp1OOKQ

/rant
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    kai_valya wrote: »
    americans seem to think regualr muslims like alqaeda/ are cool with them, but that couldn't be farther from the truth, we can't stand those ?
    whoa whoa whoa ... that is NOT what ? Cheney told me. and how can i believe you over ? Cheney when i already don't believe any girls on the internet actually exist?

then again, if Swiffness posted this, it might be valid, although this all just leaves me more confused
  • johnny too good
    johnny too good Members Posts: 1
    Every religion has it's extremists, look at the Westboro Church. Are all Christians like that? No. All mulsims aint terrorists, our government has just led you to believe that.....
    I still get nervous when I see Muslims in full dress when I'm at the airport though lol
    Do your own research people.