Looking for help/advice with fruityloops 9 and other things

Options
fltransplant
fltransplant Members Posts: 76
edited May 2010 in Fresh Produce
Hi. I've taken up a strong desire to become a producer/beatmaker so I got FL9 XXL producer version to mess with. I'm extremely green having 0 experience with beatmaking or really anything music at all. I just know how to play the guitar a lil bit and that's it but I have a strong love and will to succeed at this.

I've only jumped on FL9 twice so there is a good chance I'm just not finding it, but I can't locate any strings or horns! Where are they?

I'm having slight issues with sampling but it's not really a FL issue. I tried extracting vocals using Audacity but the vocals are clearly there, the volume is just turned down a lil bit. What's a good program to use for disecting a song, whether it be removing just vocals or if you can seperate multiple parts of songs if that's even possible??

I downloaded Reason 4 but have yet to get it going. I was reading that people mess with that as well. Is there any other programs I should look into for beatmaking?

Thanks for any comments and advice.

Comments

• eMGeeLBC
    eMGeeLBC Members Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Fruity Loops> Look in the browser> click "Packs" tab> you will find a "Guitar" tab which has strings, or click "Orchestra"tab to find strings, or even "Legacy" tab to find strings. & you can sample and cut str8 out of fruity loops. You just gotta tinker with it to figure it out. Check out my youtube, all i use is fruity loops. Youtube: MADGAME1000
  • fltransplant
    fltransplant Members Posts: 76
    edited May 2010
    Options
    eMGeeLBC wrote: »
    Fruity Loops> Look in the browser> click "Packs" tab> you will find a "Guitar" tab which has strings, or click "Orchestra"tab to find strings, or even "Legacy" tab to find strings. & you can sample and cut str8 out of fruity loops. You just gotta tinker with it to figure it out. Check out my youtube, all i use is fruity loops. Youtube: MADGAME1000
    Thanks for the reply. I saw the Orchestra tab but didn't investigate it. This will open many doors. I hope to get a mpc as well to open more doors.

I watched Alchemist's making of "Key to the City" video on youtube. At the end he says something like "This is therapy." I'm starting to feel that too.
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    FL 9 has a built it sampler but I don't like how it's set up

what I do is use a wavepad editor for my samples and then ship em to fruity
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I saw the Orchestra tab but didn't investigate it. This will open many doors. I hope to get a mpc as well to open more doors.

I watched Alchemist's making of "Key to the City" video on youtube. At the end he says something like "This is therapy." I'm starting to feel that too.

if you're using fl 9, you really don't need a full mpc. an mpd (just the pad controller only) will do just fine as fl will do all of your sequencing. you can use edison/slice x to chop your samples and drag them to the fpc. the fpc is fl's "mpc-like" plug-in that you can sync to the pad controller, or keyboard controller. also, since you already have reason, check drematics' post in the tips-n-tricks thread - he fully explains how to use reason in fl.