Has Obama Failed Black Americans on Jobs?

Comments

• Drew_Ali
    Drew_Ali Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes...... He could do better

Hey.....

I am an educator.........

So, I fully understand personal responsibility and the importance of education.........

However.....

I believe that it is foolish to disregard the systematic discrimination in this country surrounding employment and upward mobility.........

Of course Obama is not the cause & I'm not saying he is garbage.........

Hinson noted MDBA's track record of helping $4 billion in contracts and capital and creating or obtaining 16,000 jobs last year. Since 2009 with the beginning of the Obama administration, the agency has assisted businesses in securing $16 billion in contracts and capital and creating or obtaining nearly 35,000 jobs.
    http://www.thebusinessjournal.com/news/small-business/5952-minority-owned-businesses-center-opens-in-fresno

However, he could do more imo.......

• Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drew_Ali wrote: »
    Hey.....

So, I fully understand personal responsibility and the importance of education.........

However.....

I believe that it is foolish to disregard the systematic discrimination in this country surrounding employment and upward mobility.........

Hinson noted MDBA's track record of helping $4 billion in contracts and capital and creating or obtaining 16,000 jobs last year. Since 2009 with the beginning of the Obama administration, the agency has assisted businesses in securing $16 billion in contracts and capital and creating or obtaining nearly 35,000 jobs.
    http://www.thebusinessjournal.com/news/small-business/5952-minority-owned-businesses-center-opens-in-fresno

Minorities could mean anyone who is classified as non-white. It doesn't necessarily benefit black people in particular.
  • Drew_Ali
    Drew_Ali wrote: »
    Hey.....

However.....

Minorities could mean anyone who is classified as non-white. It doesn't necessarily benefit black people in particular.

Exactly..........

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when do we start hold in congress accountable? Not ? ... actually hold them accountable?
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    So when do we start hold in congress accountable? Not ? ... actually hold them accountable?

Uh, members of Congress aren't appointed into their position, they're actually elected by people in general elections. So if anyone is going to hold congress accountable it's going to be the voters. And I'm appalled by of all this one sided pundit talk about how Obama is not leading. Who exactly is the ? leader in the Republican party? Rush Limbaugh?
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No....... He does not have support
    Stopitfive wrote: »

Midterm Election!!!
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no obama apologist but its obvious Republicans intend on running in 2016 on how ? the economy is and that's it, they almost got away with it during the 2012 election. The public has a short attention span, anything this Congress does is forgotten within a month but Obama & the Democrats will be held accountable for it during the elections.

Paul Ryan is already blaming the sequester (which is costing thousands of people their jobs and increasing unemployment) on Obama even though Ryan himself co-wrote it.

All that said Obama COULD do more. For starters he needs to be more vocal about Congress being uncooperative, he has political capital and he needs to start using it. I don't expect him to turn into FDR overnight but if he really cared he should be using his soapbox to speak on it.

With the way some of these states have been set up, how quickly they are changing their voting access and how they disperse electoral college votes its almost certain that Republican rule is on the horizon. A lot of these "Blue states" are locked up, like here in Michigan where Republicans gerrymandered the ? out of the state to their advantage, busted unions and basically do whatever they want. Republicans shouldn't be the majority in the house right now but because of gerrymandering they are and that was set up on the state level. That's why this ? is called "political science".

I disagree with @Sion about America's best days being ahead of it, I think this ? will only get worse. When you have large swaths of college grads with an uncertain future and incredible debt you have problems on a structural level. A college grad isn't one of these HS drop outs but when poverty is trickling up, like it is now, you'll see frustration. How do you explain that Wall Street is up to all-time hights to those who did everything right and still can't make it? That's not gonna fly but it won't be until Republicans take over on a national level where you see the eruptions that have been happening in the individual states.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    considering this is also a hot topic,here is some more "details" that should be taken into account

12/08/2010
    House acts to block closing of Gitmo

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/dec/8/congress-deals-death-blow-gitmo-closure/?page=all

Congress on Wednesday signaled it won’t close the prison at Guantanamo Bay or allow any of its suspected terrorist detainees to be transferred to the U.S., dealing what is likely the final blow to President Obama’s campaign pledge to shutter the facility in Cuba.

The move to block the prison’s closure was written into a massive year-end spending bill that passed the House on Wednesday evening on a vote of 212-206, part of a last-minute legislative rush by Democrats to push through their priorities before ceding the House to Republican control in January.

05/20/2009
    Funds to Close Guantánamo Denied

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/us/politics/21detain.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

WASHINGTON — The Senate voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to cut from a war spending bill the $80 million requested by President Obama to close the detention center at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, and to bar the transfer of detainees to the United States and its territories.

The vote, which complicates Mr. Obama’s efforts to shutter the prison by his deadline of Jan. 22, 2010, was 90 to 6. Republicans voted unanimously in favor of cutting the money.
  • Drew_Ali
    Congress sucks......

I hold them accountable as well.......

But, what will Obama's legacy be......

Kicking the can down the road for his entire term?????

? about Congress........

It is his last term......

Dude better get hot..........

Oh yeah..........

He has done specific agendas for other minority groups..........

It is high time he gets to work for the African American communities........

• ILLBOT
    ILLBOT Posts: 911 My Name Is My Name.
    Minion DETECTED BANNED ALIAS
    REASON: mind control

USER BANNED
    Drew_Ali
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think his goal was to get black people jobs so...
  • jono
    Damn RIP Drew Ali

628x471.jpg

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    Damn RIP Drew Ali

pouring-out-liquor.gif
  • jono
    I didn't think his goal was to get black people jobs so...

His goal isn't to give black people jobs but widespread unemployment is not in his or his party's best interest.

Blacks are a serious voting block as well, especially for Democrats so failure to provide work opportunities is suicidal.

Both these parties insist on committing suicide by allowing themselves to be for sale but *shrugs* that's America for you. Auntie Assata called it a "Dollaracracy", she aint lie.
  • bambu
    With DREAM Order, Obama Did What Presidents Do: Act Without Congress

President Obama on Friday announced he was using his executive power to give some young illegal immigrants the right to stay longer in the United States

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/06/15/155106744/with-dream-order-obama-did-what-presidents-do-act-without-congress
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    The unemployment numbers are misleading. They only include those that have been employed before. Excludes those that have never had work. n Many Black adults participating in government programs are not considered "in the labor force".

the true Black unemployment rate is over 30%
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    America is a country with a format that works, since 1776

hahahahahahah......

..hahaha.... man comment is ? up on so many levels....

? it...
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Obama cant cure crackers of their hatred of blacks from the Oval Office. A lot of things that could reverse the root cause of unemployment with blacks can only be done at the local legislative level.

A white man with a felony is more likely to be hired for a job than a black man with a clean record and the same qualifications. Putting "White" on your application gets you more call backs. An anonymous poll of Fortune 500 company executives found that there are still a multitude of stereotypes whites have about blacks that prevent them from hiring blacks. All this can be researched and all the studies were done professionally so it cant be dismissed as ? .

Only Congress can develop programs that change this. The president speaking about it will change nothing. The root of the problem is crackers are evil & blacks are not independent. We shouldnt really even have to worry about a ? "GIVING" us anything. We should have our own corporations and self-created opportunities. BUt wait - crackers control the banks, who control the money (line of credit) you need to start a business in the first place. A black person with the same credit score of a white male is still LESS likely to get the loan than the white male. Even though both have the same history of repayment. Its a ? game.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES!!!
    smh @ you bewildered, bamboozled and mystified ass ? thinking this magical mulatto was gonna take us to the Promised land.....Chicago wanna have a talk with you...
  • bambu
    LOL........

? blamed Bush for everything under the sun.........

However......

Obama's hands are tied??????

FOH.........

• DarcSkies
    bambu wrote: »
    LOL........

? blamed Bush for everything under the sun.........

However......

Obama's hands are tied??????

FOH.........

Well. The Bush Administration used the War Powers act to go to War. People blamed Bush for something totally different.

Also it was the Bush administration that used the Republican congress to remove regulations that caused the depression.

A whole city went under water and tens of thousands of people displaced because of deregulation & lack of funding that caused levee failures and slow reaction times to a major US city during a (not so natural afterall) disaster.

So the problem with what you're implying is it was actually RIGHT to blame Bush for the problems the Bush administration helped create. YOu're doing worse than comparing apples to oranges. More like apples to space shuttles.
  • bambu
    edited May 2013
    Again.......

Bush had unlimited power.......

Obama is limited by Congress............

GIF-DaveChappelleisDylon.gif

• DarcSkies
    Again.......

Bush had unlimited power.......

Obama is limited by Congress............

BUsh didnt have unlimited power at all. However, he was the Commander-in-Chief of the US Military so what he says goes. If he says we're going to war then we're going. The problem is you're not supposed to call it a war without Congress declaring it. Congress gave him "authorization" to use his War Powers which was declaring war without actually doing it. As commander-in-chief BUsh had unlimited power in war according to the US Constitution.

Obama IS limited by Congress by the same Constitution.

Are you from the U.S. if not then I can understand why you dont get it. But if so could you please tell us all how Obama can use his magical ? powers to fix all the ills the black community? (without the legislature?)
  • bambu
    I'm U.S.

Obama should do everything he can to fix the ills in the black community.................

Again......

He has done it with other "minority" groups..........

President Obama on Friday announced he was using his executive power to give some young illegal immigrants the right to stay longer in the United States

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/06/15/155106744/with-dream-order-obama-did-what-presidents-do-act-without-congress

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm U.S.

Obama should do everything he can to fix the ills in the black community.................

Again......

He has done it with other "minority" groups..........

From what a gather, the dream act doesn't guarantee a job, but having a job would be a good way to fulfill the requirements of the DREAM order in order to permanently stay. He can't force companies to hire nor can he force congress to release funds for job training, nor can he force banks who caused the recession to give out loans. I do know that many people got jobs in the green sector from investment which prevented the job market from being worse. I'm sure the dream order can actually be applied to immigrants of all backgrounds because it doesn't specify a group.