final fantasy 9

Options

Comments

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    You highly doubt an opinion?

Best characters? I think it had the most bland characters of any FF game up to that point. Cloud is one of the most uninteresting protagonists I've ever played with and Zidane has shitload more personality than he ever did. Sephiroth was a whiny and effeminate bore. He didn't have the genuine madness of Kefka on deck. Kefka truly was just a wild card which made him frightening while Sephiroth as insane because of latent mommy issues. It was somewhat laughable and even Kuja who was even more effeminate at least had more than just a few cut scenes and segments to sell him as a legit threat. So yeah once again "opinions...".

I find Tifa and Barrett's annoying ass to be more memorable and yet I still don't think they're as interesting and layered as Steiner or Dagger. So it's not undisputed like Jordan. The only undisputed point about it was that it helped the genre grow thanks to it's mainstream success. It made RPG's less "nerdy" and "niche" and more of a genre that ALL gamers were open to try. It came at a time when there were not many killer apps showcasing the PSX's power which helped it sell a lot. Now THAT is undisputed fact.

In terms of the games actual merits though beyond it's technicalities I don't see many look back on it as something really amazing outside of it's ? cult like fans. I've known RPG fans who never even liked the game and just blame it for a lot of the ? that plagued the genre afterwards and the older the game gets the less I see people talk about it. Can't say the same for truly "undisputed" universally loved gems like Chrono Trigger. Hell I've seen Phantasy Star and Dragon Warrior games get more retroactive love over the years than FFVII.

I bought it on it's first week based on the goodwill of IV and VI and how much I enjoyed them overall and didn't beat till like 3 years after. I just found it really difficult to get into that game and wasn't really impressed like everybody else. I mean a story about pollution trying to look like Blade Runner like every other sci-fi influenced piece of media back then wasn't the most compelling thing. It came across as generic for the most part since it was such a common set of tropes back then.

So it took me forever to beat it because most of the time it really bored me and there were other games like Resident Evil 2 and then shortly later Xenogears that got all my attention and earlier RPG's like Wild Arms that I kept going back to.

couldnt have said it better.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @ Broddie *applauds*

I enjoyed FFVII but like I've said, it's one of the most overrated games of all time. I say VI is easily the best and I actually like FFIX and FFX over FFVII.
    7 was the bench mark of the franchise

This is true, but more for the fact that it successfully put the series in 3D and showed off the power of the original Playstation than its actual quality as a game.

• ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Broddie

My man.

FF7 sucked ass.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    FF4, 5, 6, 9, 3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF7, FF8, FF10.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    FF8 is as your favorite Scion? Why? The plot and execution started the down fall of the series. Oddly enough i never played FF9 because I did not like 8. I need to play FF9 on my PSX emulator after running through FF7 again. Damn what happened Square?

Mostly due to nostalgia, I liked 8 b/c of the battle system (Junction), the gameplay, the card game and the sidequests. The story was one thing but the gameplay was so rich I couldn't help but keep coming back. There were so many combinations, like I remember having level 40-50 Squall, Zell & Irvine & easily beating the game b/c I managed to get 100 Triples and 100 Doubles for junction. You only need like 50 Triple spells to even max out a stat (& if memory serves me only 30 to max out Speed & Spirit). The battle gameplay really helped with putting in the grind time to get all the last weapons, rare items, spells & cards.

Even the sub-bosses were a pain, Omega Weapon, Ultima Weapon, Bahamut, Mobile 8. I felt 8 was really challenging.

Did you ever blind him?
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    ohhhla wrote: »

A lot of folks may disagree but I honestly think FF5 was by far the most challenging FF game ever made. There's no ? way ? beat Gil Turtle in Gil Cave more than once and Shinryu & Omega were on a whole nother level of fuckery..... I heard in the GBA version they buffed Shinryu & Omega and gave them super forms to fight against after you beat their standard forms SMMFH. I got the PS1 version of FF5 and got dayum for me it was the hardest one I've ever played.

FUN FACT: In the PS1 version of FF5 when you visit the shrine for the 12 legendary weapons, the game says you can only pick 3 BUT, if you click the tombstone twice after the steps arise it'll reset & allow you to pick up 3 more. I did that 4 times to get all 12 of the Legendary weapons. It'll only work on the PS1 version, I think they fixed it on the GBA version SMMFH.

FF4 is ridiculously slept on.

FF4 isn't slept-on, Sion.

It's the generation you talk to about don't know ? .
  • ohhhla
    Options
    How not play FF9?

I swear DC and PS2, boy.

I ended up getting a PS2 like 9 months later, tho.
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FF 7,8,10. Legend of the dragoon, chrono cross and the grandia series are GOATS. If u didnt play rpgs as a kid u lost. Final fantasy tactics was addicting as ? and one of the hardest games to beat. I bought it from the ps store and still having trouble with it.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    LMAO@ FF8.

I can admit the gameplay was fun but it was broken mess.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    im startin FF9 today
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tymoney19 wrote: »
    FF 7,8,10. Legend of the dragoon, chrono cross and the grandia series are GOATS. If u didnt play rpgs as a kid u lost. Final fantasy tactics was addicting as ? and one of the hardest games to beat. I bought it from the ps store and still having trouble with it.

The final boss is easy as ? though
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    what are some good rpgs to get that are on PSN?
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

hell nah.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »

hell nah.

FF5 is criminally underrated.

I remember playing the rom for it in '99.

Man, brings back memories.

That's when I finally knew that FF2 and FF3 were FF4 & FF6.

Original FF3 is better than those futuristic FF's.

• stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vader wrote: »
    what are some good rpgs to get that are on PSN?

Breath of Fire IV? They have most of the classics.

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Better villian sephiroth or kuja
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Vader wrote: »
    Better villian sephiroth or kuja

Kuja. He more personality and better motives.

He's my favorite villain of all time.

Sephiroth was underdeveloped.

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Real spit dun dun dun.....VII really only made waves because it was revolutionary graphics wise and the Aerith death scene.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    the storyline was pretty good also