"UN has a new nutritional, sustainable diet for a hungry world: insects"

Options
cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
UN has a new nutritional, sustainable diet for a hungry world: insects

Jemma Crew
Monday, 13 May 2013

The solution to world poverty may have been under our noses all along. The United Nations has issued official advice suggesting that Earth’s inhabitants eat insects to help combat food-insecurity and reduce pollution worldwide.

The UN acknowledges that “consumer disgust” remains “one of the largest barriers to the adoption of insects as viable sources of protein in many Western countries”.

Over two billion people worldwide already regularly eat insects as part of their diets. Their high fat, protein and mineral content make them a nutritious alternative to meat, fish and other common dietary staples.

More than 1,900 insect species are edible for human consumption, the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation reports, with the most popular insects being beetles, caterpillars, bees, wasps and ants.

Insects could be a particularly important food source for undernourished children because most species contain high levels of fatty acids.

Aside from their nutritional value, farming insects could considerably benefit the environment. According to the FAO, insects emit fewer greenhouse gases and need less land or water than cattle when farmed.

As cold-blooded creatures they are “very efficient” in converting feed to protein, needing 12 times less feed than cattle in order to produce the same amount. They also feed on human and animal waste, and can transform this into protein.

In some areas of the world, including Bali and Japan, insects such as dragonflies and fly larvae are considered a delicacy.

While many Brits may feel squeamish at the thought of eating bugs, the Mexican chain restaurant Wahaca, which recently trialled a dish of fried grasshoppers at its South Bank restaurant, said it was impressed by diners’ responses to the experiment and may put the dish on its main menu.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/un-has-a-new-nutritional-sustainable-diet-for-a-hungry-world-insects-8614691.html#

Some salt with your spider? U.N. says bugs good for you
Dan Vergano, USA TODAY7:22 p.m. EDT May 13, 2013

The U.N. is promoting edible insects as a low-fat, high-protein food.

Pass the cicadas -- a United Nations report calls for bringing bugs to your next picnic. On the menu that is.

Along with providing a satisfying crunch, "Insects are a highly nutritious and healthy food source with high fat, protein, vitamin, fiber and mineral content," says the U.N.'s Food and Agriculture Organization report released in Rome on Monday.

Despite that endorsement, "We are not saying that people should be eating bugs," said FAO's Eva Muller, in a statement on the report. Rather, the advice is part of a call for forest conservation to help feed the world's 21st century population, projected to peak at 9 billion people by 2050. "We are saying that insects are just one resource provided by forests, and insects are pretty much untapped for their potential for food, and especially for feed."

About 2 billion people worldwide already munch on bugs regularly because food sources are increasingly stretched. The Western diet is the odd one worldwide, in its exclusion of bugs, notes the report, which calls for making regulations more friendly to bug farming.

"If life gives you locusts, make locust-enriched grain," says entomologist Doug Yanega, a senior museum scientist at the University of California, Riverside, and an expert on consuming edible bugs. "The U.N. report is perfectly logical, looking at it objectively, but it is tough to convince people."

Some scorpions (though not technically insects) and water bugs are yummy, Yanega adds. There are 10 million different insects, he says, and some are better than others. "Honey bees are perfectly delicious."

Cicadas should be good eating, too, he says. And that is good news since the latest brood is hitting the USA now. "You are what you eat with bugs. They eat tree sap for 17 years, that should make them pretty good."

ap-italy-un-insects-for-food-4_3_rx383_c540x380.jpg?553efe1954dfb7d1a113a4c5cf7c04bfaead0983
A plate with insects is featured during an insect cuisine competition in Laos.(Photo: Thomas Calame, FAO, via AP)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/05/13/united-nations-insects-food/2155297/

"Edible insects
Future prospects for food and feed security"
i3253e.jpg

FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
Rome, 2013
http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3253e/i3253e00.htm

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great idea. As long as they can make it taste good i see no reason why people shouldnt at them
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that there is enought rice/grain in the world
  • LUClEN
    Options
    ? that there is enought rice/grain in the world

Can't meet protein needs off that alone b.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If we can eat shrimp, ? , lobsters, etc... which are basically just sea bugs, we should be able to eat regular bugs. That said, ? that. I'll stick to steak.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eating insects is cultural, first world nations like the US would have people who would rather eat scientifically distorted meat (GMOs, cloned and "mechanically separated" meats) before eating insects. Other counties may not have that issue.

Me personally I'm not eating insects...I would have to be starving to do so.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Me personally I'm not eating insects...I would have to be starving to do so.
    eh, if you're eating packaged foods, you're eating bug parts, so ? it, why not go all the way

• WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah we as westerners need to get over our squeamishness all together. I grew up eating squirrels, rabbbit, deer, opossum, wild turkey and more. Never tried bugs but if they are nutritional and abundant I could cook them up to taste delicious. Count me in.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never ate bugs b4, but if it makes the world a better place fucc i will eat a maggot burger
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniella-martin/what-do-bugs-taste-like-a_b_901775.html

It may have crawled into your consciousness lately that edible insects are the new green thing: they are extremely sustainable to raise, requiring far fewer resources than other forms of livestock, and they produce fewer greenhouse gas-causing emissions per pound of protein. To put this into perspective, a pound of crickets requires nearly 1000 times less water to produce than a pound of beef, and the livestock sector has been credited with contributing more GHGs than transport. Meanwhile, insects are highly nutritious (crickets contain more iron and calcium than beef); and are eaten in more cultures than not, putting the US, and our bug-sneering ways, in the minority.

Green is good, agree most folks. But how do they taste?

With nearly 1500 edible insect species to choose from, it's a complex question to answer. How many different types of meat have you sampled in your lifetime? Most people never get beyond the standard dozen-plus basics of chicken, beef, pork, lamb, and 5-10 kinds of fish. Compared to the 250 varieties of insect eaten in Mexico alone, this is a fairly limited flavor palette -- the "beginner box" of culinary Crayolas.

Insects, on the other hand, represent the majority of the animal biomass on earth. They have thousands of different habitats, and many of them are dependent on eating just one type of plant, creating a kaleidoscope of flavor potentials. There are, however, some generalities.

On the whole, insects tend to taste a bit nutty, especially when roasted. I believe this comes from the natural fats they contain, combined with the crunchiness of their mineral-rich exoskeletons. Crickets, for instance, taste like nutty shrimp, whereas most larvae I've tried have a nutty mushroom flavor. My two favorites, wax moth caterpillars (AKA "wax worms") and bee larvae, taste like enoki-pine nut and bacon-chanterelle, respectively.

I may try once. I mean, we're eating living organisms regardless if their animals or plants. Bugs are creepy but they are editable and maybe they don't taste as bad when cooked correctly. Maybe if they mask the appearance. Fish taste horrible if you don't season it and so does any other meat.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After considering this.

Hell no.

Give me that GMO cheeseburger.

Can't eat no got damn cockroach.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry, I got to pass on this. Though very valid points were made in support of this. And if it makes the world a better place, then more power.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I can't eat live bugs though. Something about food moving around in my mouth gives me the creeps.
  • janklow
    Options
    ? Wight wrote: »
    Yeah we as westerners need to get over our squeamishness all together. I grew up eating squirrels, rabbbit, deer, opossum, wild turkey and more.
    i'm not even sure why anyone would be squeamish about that list, unless they don't eat meat at all.

• WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    ? Wight wrote: »
    Yeah we as westerners need to get over our squeamishness all together. I grew up eating squirrels, rabbbit, deer, opossum, wild turkey and more.
    i'm not even sure why anyone would be squeamish about that list, unless they don't eat meat at all.

City folk and I mean the ones with no rural ties, also I didn't say but will now "you got to clean it before you eat it". Hell I would bet most never even gutted a fish.

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    With all the cultures in NYC, there are plenty of strange food choices. People eat Cow tongue, Pig feet\ears, and Chicken feet. I would rather pass on those and eat an Opossum any day as long as it's not those portions.
  • janklow
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    With all the cultures in NYC, there are plenty of strange food choices. People eat Cow tongue, Pig feet\ears, and Chicken feet. I would rather pass on those and eat an Opossum any day as long as it's not those portions.
    yeah, there's definitely a distinction between the trashier parts of an animal and the good parts of those second-tier opossum-type animals

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

You'll find people Down South that eat that ? . SMH @ people happily eating pig ears when that's some ? pet stores sell specifically for dogs.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody will be eating that ? now that the cows, fish and pigs are contaminated with mad cow.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In a crisis, Ants I can prolly eat, but roaches,,, HELL NAW!
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only if I'm starving.