Random thought would a superman /batman movie be more succesful than the avengers ?

starvin
starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
batman_superman.png

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Justice League production duo should do the movie score for the Justice League movie
    They would probably do a kick ass job
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Considering that they're the most iconic and popular superheros in history and that The Avengers is filled with C listers by comparison I'd say it's pretty likely.

Batman by himself has had 3 movies make over $420 million domestically when you adjust the 1989 movie to inflation. The last Superman movie was a complete dud from a creative and financial standpoint yet it still managed to make 200 million domestically despite it's wackness. That's how powerful the Superman brand is. If the new one lives up to what it should be I expect that number to be surpassed with ease.

Couple the popularity of Batman at the box office with today's audiences with the new found popularity Superman will get off the strength of his new movie and you got a real contender.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    its possible but it seems like WB's cant get their ? togther
    whether you loved or hated the Marvel films to date one has the appreciate the forsight and planning they put into their development.

on the other hand DC/WB hasnt been able to develop any worthwhile properties with their vast libary outside of Batman recently.

Hopefully Synder's Superman will be a step in the right direction

its funny that as a kid Marvel's popular properties were Spider-Man & the X-Men, but Marvel films have flourished with secondary characters. Its revisionist history but Iron Man was never that popular until RDJ stepped into the role.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why dc doesn't try a worlds finest movie first then try and introduce ww reboot gl which should've been way better had a lot of potential smh
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hulk is not a C list comic book character bruh just saying
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Marvel isn't playing games witb their movies. None whatsoever, DC is sitting back while Marvel is weaving a story amongst these movies, leading up to a sequel.

How many reboots and retools must there be?? Will this Superman movie make money, yes, but can it sustain like these clusters of movies have?? When will the next reboot be, because there now has to be a new Batman for that to even exist, plus we must hope this new Superman movie does well.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superman and Batman sell off of their name alone. It could be the worst ? superhero movie in the history of superhero movies, with terrible actors, the worst story you've ever read, plot holes and continuity issues galore, and that ? would still break at least 100 million.

Now, one of the advantages that the Avengers had was the actors. I'll be honest, part of the reason I watched the Avengers was for Robert Downey Jr. and after watching the avengers I watched Thor and Captain America. The guy that plays Capt is alright, but Chris Hemsworth and the guy that play Loki are pretty cool. These actors actually draw people in, even if they haven't seen other movies. but if a Superman/Batman movie had Christian Bale and whoever plays Superman in Man of Steel as the main characters, ehh, I don't really see them drawing non-comic book fans into the movie.

There was another advantage but I can't think of it right now...I'll come back if I remember it.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's it good... You have to add Wonder Woman tho for the ladies.
  • Broddie
    its possible but it seems like WB's cant get their ? togther
    whether you loved or hated the Marvel films to date one has the appreciate the forsight and planning they put into their development.

on the other hand DC/WB hasnt been able to develop any worthwhile properties with their vast libary outside of Batman recently.

Hopefully Synder's Superman will be a step in the right direction

its funny that as a kid Marvel's popular properties were Spider-Man & the X-Men, but Marvel films have flourished with secondary characters. Its revisionist history but Iron Man was never that popular until RDJ stepped into the role.

Apples and oranges.

Marvel Studios is a movie studio dedicated only to adapting comic book properties they all have under one roof.

DC Comics does not have a movie studio dedicated to adapting comic book properties they all have under one roof. They have to go through Warner Bros who has other genre priorities besides comic book properties to greenlight.

On top of that WB just licenses out the adaptation rights to their DC IP's while distributing and co-financing the movies therefore competing production companies own the movie rights. Which makes a shared universe impossible since these competitors don't want to break bread with each other. So it's something like this

Legendary Pictures has movie rights to Batman and Superman. So a World's Finest movie is plausible if they want to go there since both characters are under one roof.

De Line Pictures has the Green Lantern movie rights.

Silver Pictures had the Wonder Woman movie rights.

Kennedy/Miller had the Justice League movie rights but somebody else has them now.

Same applies to Aquaman, The Flash and etc.

Until somebody at WB considers DC a priority and consolidates all these rights back under one roof (A potential DC Studios) don't expect a shared DCU.

Personally I don't care because I just want these characters to get good individual movies and as you know I'm a DC fan.
  • Broddie
    texas409 wrote: »
    hulk is not a C list comic book character bruh just saying

Compared to Batman and Superman he is a peon. You show the S shield or Bat oval to anybody on the street anywhere in the world and chances are that they will instantly recognize it. Superman is the first hero most kids tried to emulate growing up since 1939. Batman is the most popular hero on the planet today. Prior to The Avengers most general audience members could not recognize the Hulk. Both his movies underperformed for this reason.

Granted he was the most popular character going into The Avengers if you discount the Iron Man, Thor and Cap movies giving them some mainstream exposure. That's not arguable but that's because of a TV show that made a mark on 70's and 80's pop culture. Anybody who wasn't familiar with that wouldn't really know Hulk before the Ang Lee movie unless they read comic books or watched those obscure marvel hulk cartoons from the 60's to the 90's.

The only Marvel character truly on the level of Superman and Batman in terms of pure iconography and relevant status in pop culture for numerous decades is Spider-Man.