“I think we need to stop acting like no one can do better than Jay, Ye, or Nas"-J.Cole

Options
124»

Comments

• nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmaooo@ most on here not mentioning nor giving Drake propz, its kool tho, his peers do.

Lmaooo at you shuttin the ? up
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cole has a point but let's see what he, Drake, and Kendrick can do. That's an extremely high mountain to climb.
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nj2089 wrote: »
    lmaooo@ most on here not mentioning nor giving Drake propz, its kool tho, his peers do.

Lmaooo at you shuttin the ? up

lmaooo at you catching mad feelings
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie with wtf ether
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Problem wit that idea is these youngish are expecting & requesting to be legend as if something u just reach n grab.
    Nas Jayz or Pac etc.. was bestowed the status by decade or more of work, releasing true classic and unmatched longevity none these young artist is not guarentee to achieve.
    So sit back, work, Mage the classic if possible and let the public decide.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    They got a whole lot of stepping up to do. Drake is the only new school ? that's on path to being a legend due to his legit talent and game changing impact. Kendrick Lesbian and J Cole are 2 garbage rappers that uses drake formula to survive. (emotional songs about women, syrupy hooks, singing) GKMC is a take care rip off. Sideline ? story is a rip off of thank me later. J cole and Kendrick will never have a project that can touch Nas or Jay Z weakest album.

tumblr_m573cm446k1rtjw1mo1_250.gif

slow-clap-gif.gif

133939356243.gif

amen.gif

other_preach_gif.gif
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somehow nas loses in all this for not being as popular in the game as Ye and Jay, yet he's a legend
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    None of them ? are better than Jay, Nas or Ye though
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options

Kanye being a legend is debatable but that ? has definitely put in enough work to be respected as a rapper and as someone who pushes the boundaries.

He has the healthy respect of Jay, Nas, Rza, 50, and Wayne ( all legends or probable legends in their own right)

U don't have to like him as an artist but dont be foolish

I don't care what those ? think. A few of them are some of my all time favorite music creators but they're also not Broddie. They're Jay, Nas, RZA, 50 and Wayne (aka men with their own opinions just like me).

I respect him for coming up the way he did despite being such a mediocre rapper (a kind understatement) and I think he's an exceptional producer but that's where it stops. His lyricism and delivery are obnoxious and below average. Which is a problem for me because those are key factors to my enjoyment of rap music.

It's no different than how some people can't listen to Eminem or Jay-Z because they can't bear listening to the pitch of their voices. It's irritating to the point that I still can't make it through any of his albums despite trying to see what it is that I've been missing about them when I see them being overrated all over hip hop forums.

It was way more evident when he first came out than now though cause in today's market considering the level of top notch garbage I'm sure he comes across as a king. But compared to ? that was putting it down in 2004 - 2006 from the legends to the newer guard at the time like T.I., Lupe and the Clipse it was much more obvious back then.

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea i can respect that mindframe
  • Broddie
    Options
    somehow nas loses in all this for not being as popular in the game as Ye and Jay, yet he's a legend

Nas loses everyday just for being Nas.
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Artists need to stop focusing on "being better than Nas,Jay and Ye" and just focus on creating the best content they can. Let the public focus on who's better than who and just create a respectable body of work that can possibly become timeless. Because, to be honest... J. Cole has quite a ways to go to even be at Kendrick and Drakes level..
  • Broddie
    edited May 2013
    Options
    nohiphop1 wrote: »
    Problem wit that idea is these youngish are expecting & requesting to be legend as if something u just reach n grab.
    Nas Jayz or Pac etc.. was bestowed the status by decade or more of work, releasing true classic and unmatched longevity none these young artist is not guarentee to achieve.
    So sit back, work, Mage the classic if possible and let the public decide.
    scrapper1 wrote: »
    Artists need to stop focusing on "being better than Nas,Jay and Ye" and just focus on creating the best content they can. Let the public focus on who's better than who and just create a respectable body of work that can possibly become timeless. Because, to be honest... J. Cole has quite a ways to go to even be at Kendrick and Drakes level..

Real talk. Dude's are too quick to point the finger everywhere when their product is not connecting with a greater audience except at themselves. If J. Cole feels like people are overlooking him or whatever he needs to give people a reason to look for him in the first place.

Him being in the game for damn near 4 years now and still not making a significant dent in the game means his skillset at the moment isn't good enough to gain the props he's seeking. He should continue trying to master his craft to get his skillset on that level by making the best J. Cole albums he could make instead of fishing for excuses and trying to hop on trends and use up other ? 's formulas hoping for a quick come up.

People tend to see through ? like that. Especially hip hop fans since the foundation of this culture has always been self expression. Something Nas and Jay & even though I'm not a fan Kanye managed to excel at throughout their careers. Which is why they have the notoriety they have today. Kendrick and Aubrey are making their mark for the same reasons. They don't sound like the bud light versions of some other ? like J. Cole does they sound like Drake and Kendrick Lamar whether you like them or not.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All of ya doubtin/hatin on Cole is gonna be in for a rude awakening on June 18th. Watch.

We don't believe you