Vader_F_Kennedy
Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
405px-After_Earth_Poster.jpg

anybody checkin for this tonight?

Comments

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    he only directed and produced tho ......m.night got some pretty good flicks under his belt
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't going to see this anyway but I will never trust M Night. Shamalamadingdong for ? . His directing skills aren't even all that great.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did anyone see it yet, I'll probably go and see it then.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vader wrote: »
    he only directed and produced tho ......m.night got some pretty good flicks under his belt

That is far too much involvement for me. Lol.

I did enjoy 6th Sense and Unbreakable, i havent liked, and actually have gotten very upset with his movies after those.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    signs was good too
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Ah i forgot about that one i did enjoy that movie as well. Once the village came out i stopped liking his films.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will's commentary in the trailer turned me off.

"Remember Son the Fear isn't real. The Danger is real, but the Fear is a choice."

? sounds corny as hell. If that's how they are promoting the movie, it likely will be something silly.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alot of reviews that r really ? on the movie and jaden as well. Not looking good. Basically being called a will smith handout to his son and jaden couldn't deliver. Think its gonna crash and burn. Sad. was hoping it would be well received. Looking like an expensive fail right now.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? just came off pretentious to me in the first trailer.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    yea jaden aint gonna be a star like his daddy...but ill check it out ive paid to see worse
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And i like some of m nights movies
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hearing really bad things about this movie.. M.Night may have found a way for me to not enjoy a Will Smith movie..
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will make money off the Will Smith name. Going to be bad.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he co-wrote too
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will's commentary in the trailer turned me off.

"Remember Son the Fear isn't real. The Danger is real, but the Fear is a choice."

? sounds corny as hell. If that's how they are promoting the movie, it likely will be something silly.

i get it based on what will's character has done in the movie, the monster in the previews senses fear, and his character learned to hide his fear fighting them so hes teaching that to his son...movie's still gonna suck though
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Zimbio Review - 'After Earth' Fails to Snap M. Night Shyamalan's Streak of Bad Movies
    By Joe Robberson on May 30, 2013

As predictable as any movie you will ever see, M. Night Shyamalan's latest, After Earth, is an ultimately forgettable walk through the park of science fiction that has nothing new to say or show us about the genre. Shyamalan, once one of Hollywood's most successful and brightest writer/directors, continues to regress. After Earth has such a lack of creative vision, it easily qualifies as one of the worst movies of the year.

Humans have been driven from Earth by an alien race and the planet is now uninhabitable, overrun by dangerous predators and toxins. The aliens are unique in that they hunt by smelling phermones secreted by fear in humans. Earth's hero, Cypher Raige (Will Smith), defeats them by perfecting a process called "ghosting," where he becomes invisible to the creatures by harnessing his fear, thus not allowing the aliens to sense him. Cypher explains to his son, Kitai (Jaden Smith), "Fear is a choice."

After flunking his Ranger test, Kitai accompanies Dad on a space mission to transport an alien for research, but the ship hits an asteroid field and crash lands on Earth, some 1000 years after humans have left. Cypher and Kitai survive but Cypher is injured and Kitai must find the tail section of the ship some 100 kilometers away. There's a space flare in the tail and the only way the two can surive is if Kitai faces his fears and traverses the dangerous planet to find it.

After Earth looks like a Star Trek episode from the '70s. It's baffling how pedestrian the production design and CGI are. Space ship interiors look like a do-it-yourself plumbling project. PVC-looking pipes are everywhere. Doorways are covered by curtains, men wear their uniform always and women wear flowing robes, not exactly new developments in cinematic future fashion.

However there's one grating detail that stood out above all else: seat belts. Seat belts play a pivotal role in After Earth since the Smith boys crash land and spend ample time buckling and unbuckling themselves in. The future belts look like they were taken from a Chevy Caprice off the Wonder Years set. They're old-looking and distracting, a perfect microcosm for the movie itself.

Will Smith is in full-on jarhead mode here with his Johnny Unitas haircut and perfectly groomed soul patch. He fails to break a smile and exists purely to coach his undisciplined son. It's one of the charismatic actor's most boring performances.

Jaden is onscreen for 90 percent of the film and a compelling leading man he does not make. He speaks in a weird accent that might've been a decision to make things seem more futuristic, but it serves as a distration. He's also blatantly out of sync with the CGI at times, swinging his double-sided sword (What, no guns in the future?) at nothing and he looks demented in some scenes talking to the air while communicating with his dad via an armband.

The technology in the film is laughable. The armbands, floppy iPads, and 3D visual displays have all been seen before. The scenes set in the dark recesses of space look straight out of TV. The CGI predators on Earth look hideous. In all, After Earth is a giant mess. There's very little endearing material, the performances are empty and listless, and the ending can be predicted a mile away. Shyamalan does little to disprove the notion his previous film, The Last Airbender, was an aberration.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    32/100 on metacritic which has a more honest system than the RT aggregator (which currently has it at 13% btw). Due to it being more reliable with both critic review gauging (no mixed reviews confused for negative ones like on RT) and user driven reviews (aka paying moviegoers); since it appeals to a more unbiased and general audience instead of partisan cult fanbases like RT does.

That's 5 duds in a row and counting for M. Night Shimidimilayem.

Will Smith is partly to blame too. He keeps giving chances to these hack directors (Ie: Peter Berg, Barry Sonnenfeld & M. Night) because they could make commercially viable journeyman movies and it always ends up being real forgettable ? in the end.

If he ever tried to hook up with directors like Nolan, Alfonso Cuaron or Darren Aronofsky I think he would end up making way better & much more timeless movies than all of this lame ? he keeps putting out.

Unfortunately it's back to Michael Bay (Bad Boys III) and Emmerich (Independence Day 2) for him so more of the same. The Fresh Prince has become the black Adam ? .
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let the numbers come in first. That's what Will stans have to defend him with . ..
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Will don't take chances wit his roles he plays it safe ..? need to step outside tha box
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Will don't take chances wit his roles he plays it safe ..? need to step outside tha box

Whatta you mean? i think Will has a great filmography and a lot of different characters. He's done it all man, action/comedy, Drama, Sci Fi. Hes got quite the resume imo.