Essence Essentials: Hip Hop Playlist - RuffDraft's 'Most Played'.

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
'Sup Essence,

I realise that my time is slim and I don't do a great job any more of running the board. That said, here's a nice playlist I created recently for someone who had little knowledge of independent hip hop. It's not necessarily with anything in mind, or any concept. Just simply, 'Hey, you haven't checked this before? You gotta check this out!' Whilst it doesn't contain anything that most regulars wouldn't have heard already, it's definitely a playlist that flows, so it might be one that you enjoy either way.

For those who are interested, check it out after the drop:

Track List:

01 Prince Ali - Incistroduction
02 Minmi - Shiki No Uta
03 Zion I - Bird's Eye View
04 Eligh Feat. Kay Flay and The Grouch - Shine
05 Eligh Feat. Pigeon John - Whirlwind
06 CunninLynguists - The Gates
07 CYNE - First Person
08 CYNE - Arrow of ?
09 Jay Electronica - Eternal Sunshine
10 Common - Be
11 Atmosphere - You
12 Big K.R.I.T. - Somedayz
13 Hi-Tek Feat. The Willie Cottrell Band, Ghostface Killah and Pretty Ugly - Josephine
14 Atmosphere - Dreamer
15 Atmosphere - The Last to Say
16 Atmosphere - Yesterday

Download.

I enjoyed listening to this playlist, made me remember some really great tracks that we've had over the years. If anyone wants to do a response Essence Essentials then I'll stick it for you.

Props on the people who stick around, and feel free to use this thread to also discuss albums that you've currently been bumping from this year!

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finally checked out that new Killah Priest album. Aint bad. KP has never been a huge favorite of mine he's a great rapper but he bores me sometimes. Was a good listen but i dont think it will have much replay value for me.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Finally checked out that new Killah Priest album. Aint bad. KP has never been a huge favorite of mine he's a great rapper but he bores me sometimes. Was a good listen but i dont think it will have much replay value for me.

Which albums from this year have that kinda replay value though???

I can't work out whether it's my lack of time to check it out, or if independent hip hop has gone quiet...

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tbh im still playin 2012 albums. got RAP music in heavy rotation still, been listening to GKMC and everything else is just older 90's ? lol
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    tbh im still playin 2012 albums. got RAP music in heavy rotation still, been listening to GKMC and everything else is just older 90's ? lol

GKMC is still in roation for me as well, lol @ 90s ? haha... I have the two Biggie albums in my car at the minute... still enjoying Mo' Money Mo' Problems and rapping Big's verse word for word... dude's flow was incredible.

Check out the Ugly Heroes record if you haven't already, made a thread about it in The Essence now too - great listen.