Court Bauer, Former WWE Writer, on Racism, Sexism, and Homophobia in the writer's room

Options
2»

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    Kofi is cool with me, its pretty obvious he's chillin at this point.

I. Just thought of some more of the overt racism in wwe. Does anyone remember Shelton's fat mama or the performance from WM where Broadus Clay's mama was fat with a huge ass?

Do they really think that ? is funny? They think all black women look like that?

Detestable.
    Not even a mama, more like a mammy....
    older-mammy.jpg
    02.jpg
    Broddie wrote: »
    Funkasaurus_And_His_Mama_And_Bridge_Club_WWE_Wrestlemania.gif

hqdefault.jpg

WM28_Photo_300.jpg

WM28_Photo_299.jpg

jpgbroduswm28.jpeg

tumblr_inline_ml06el0i0G1qz4rgp.gif

Its hard for me be to be a fan after these ? man. I cant believe her or Shelton even entertained that gimmick.

But that Clay thing set us back decades man. I cant believe these ? were down for that, at some point you gotta put your foot down and not want to be a part of that type of ?
  • nc81
    nc81 Members Posts: 251 ✭✭
    Options
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are superior athletes and most young black kids watch wrestling until late teens and almost all Hispanics watch wrestling at least casually.makes no sense.
  • EtherealAmotekun
    EtherealAmotekun Members Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm surprised no one mentioned when dx did a parody of the nation and xpac dressed in blackface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeAMxSDBqJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As a shorty I didn't catch it but watching old promos ? burned my soul.

I remember when they had the rock diss the ? out of booker t straight joned him. They really went out the way to make booker t look like a ? . He was the ? in wcw when he was part of harlem heat and when he went solo.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Vince.

? you Vince.....
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    or who can forget when WWe fired abraham washington for the colorado kobe comment....this from a company who once had an elderly lady give birth to a hand, tells people to suck it as a catchprase, even teased us not too long ago that micheal cole was kidnapped and about to get ? in the lockeroom.....not to mention vince saying ? and women being called ? and wrestlers contantly getting caught violating the substance abuse rule yet washington was out of line for making a joke
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Abraham did the joke in the wrong era. That joke would be more appreciated in the attitude era, but Abraham did it in the WWE Disney era.
    There were 3 incidents that ? me off. Vince saying "My ? ", The DX blackface(like @EtherealAmotekun said) and that redneck Michael Hayes getting away with what he did to Mark Henry. I don't feel bad for the rest of the minstrel acts cause they allowed it to happen. If I was a wrestler, Id rather toil thru the minors and even get signed to TNA than get treated like a donkey on national tv just cause it's WWE. It seems that once you sign to WWE, you leave your pride at the door if you don't have ? and white skin. Minorities, women, ? , midgets all get the ? treatment. Actually ? and ? themed characters get decent treatment(probably out of respect for Pat Patterson). I wouldnt dwell on how ppl talk in the writer's group cause we all make comments like that, but it's different when those thoughts are projected on tv. Vince is nothing like his father. His father had respect for all. He recognized the needs for stars of minority based on where his shows were. he made respectable champs out of minorities(Sammartino, Morales, Johnson/Atlas). Vince is a pompous ass with a massive ego(Thanks to the success of Wrestlemania) that hangs with other ignorant egomanical Republicans like Donald Trump. The problem is that it won't end once Paul and Steph fully take over.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder if anyone remembers why book left in 2006. I think something racist was said then too. He left after being forced to job to H again at Summerslam 2006.

WWE's stereotyping goes waaaay back. That's been documented already here. ? disgusting to be honest.

Ohh it's ironic that Bauer mentioned the lack of minorities on the writing staff. Elijah Burke complained about the same thing Bauer was talking about, old white guys can't write story lines or dialog for black wrestlers. That's why most of them don't even talk. Smh

Yeah that actually makes sense. Then when they hire a minority writer it's always a window of a few weeks given to them before they're unemployed again.

It's funny too cause Big E and Titus have proven to be good talkers in the past yet that rarely gets displayed because they get no creative freedom with promos. I mean if you're not going to hire minority writers at least give the minority talent freedom on the mic to express themselves how a black, asian, hispanic etc. would really express themselves.

Same thing with foreigners like Barrett and Antonio Cesaro who was a dynamo in the indy scene as Claudio Castagnoli because he had so much creative freedom over his character. It's what they used to do with all wrestlers in the past and why Iron Shiek, Bad News Brown, Junkyard Dog and The Rock caught on because of authentic mic presences despite working with out of touch and "all american" white bookers.

I've been watching regularly again for almost a year now (since Brock came back). Since that time I admit to not giving not even one flying ? about Kofi Kingston. But can you blame me? I know him as a smiling and shucking jobber who does nothing to separate himself from the pack at all and seems complacent with his spot on the roster.

The Kofi Kingston I know is the guy who spends more time playing video games than working on his mic skills or perfecting and switching up his in ring craft. So to me at first he seemed like some really bland ? who had no drive to do anything but be complacent with shucking and jiving for a check. He is such an obnoxious non entity that no ? were ever given when he was on TV and I would just go ahead and change the channel.

After realizing that he has no choice but to work with what he's given since WWE today is 100% writer driven in terms of what wrestlers say and do and how ? everything he is given is I no longer blame him. I'd just play games and collect my check too knowing that all the effort I put to make myself better as a pro wrestler won't be acknowledged by creative and used in the product anyway.

His presence is so generic they didn't even ever bother to correct the fact that he's billed from Ghana West Africa yet reps Jamaican culture in terms of style, wardrobe colors and his theme song being sang by a guy with a fake Jamaican accent. Despite them even addressing it themselves (HHH asking "Aren't you supposed to be Jamaican?" when he spoke with an American accent one time).

Who knows what his real potential could be if he wasn't given such a vanilla gimmick that has nowhere to go but down. I've said it before and I'll say it again due to how he is being used dude is the 21st century Koko B. Ware. "Midcard for Life" should be his new slogan..

Big E, good on the mic? LOL
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never watched NXT? Big E still needs work but he's better on the mic right now than Alberto Del Rio, Fandango, Jack Swagger and a lot of other cats on that roster that were given a mic to speak on. He's got a unique delivery and an actual mic presence unlike most of those guys.
  • herbalism101
    Options
    I wonder if anyone remembers why book left in 2006. I think something racist was said then too. He left after being forced to job to H again at Summerslam 2006.

WWE's stereotyping goes waaaay back. That's been documented already here. ? disgusting to be honest.

Ohh it's ironic that Bauer mentioned the lack of minorities on the writing staff. Elijah Burke complained about the same thing Bauer was talking about, old white guys can't write story lines or dialog for black wrestlers. That's why most of them don't even talk. Smh

Yeah that actually makes sense. Then when they hire a minority writer it's always a window of a few weeks given to them before they're unemployed again.

It's funny too cause Big E and Titus have proven to be good talkers in the past yet that rarely gets displayed because they get no creative freedom with promos. I mean if you're not going to hire minority writers at least give the minority talent freedom on the mic to express themselves how a black, asian, hispanic etc. would really express themselves.

Same thing with foreigners like Barrett and Antonio Cesaro who was a dynamo in the indy scene as Claudio Castagnoli because he had so much creative freedom over his character. It's what they used to do with all wrestlers in the past and why Iron Shiek, Bad News Brown, Junkyard Dog and The Rock caught on because of authentic mic presences despite working with out of touch and "all american" white bookers.

I've been watching regularly again for almost a year now (since Brock came back). Since that time I admit to not giving not even one flying ? about Kofi Kingston. But can you blame me? I know him as a smiling and shucking jobber who does nothing to separate himself from the pack at all and seems complacent with his spot on the roster.

The Kofi Kingston I know is the guy who spends more time playing video games than working on his mic skills or perfecting and switching up his in ring craft. So to me at first he seemed like some really bland ? who had no drive to do anything but be complacent with shucking and jiving for a check. He is such an obnoxious non entity that no ? were ever given when he was on TV and I would just go ahead and change the channel.

After realizing that he has no choice but to work with what he's given since WWE today is 100% writer driven in terms of what wrestlers say and do and how ? everything he is given is I no longer blame him. I'd just play games and collect my check too knowing that all the effort I put to make myself better as a pro wrestler won't be acknowledged by creative and used in the product anyway.

His presence is so generic they didn't even ever bother to correct the fact that he's billed from Ghana West Africa yet reps Jamaican culture in terms of style, wardrobe colors and his theme song being sang by a guy with a fake Jamaican accent. Despite them even addressing it themselves (HHH asking "Aren't you supposed to be Jamaican?" when he spoke with an American accent one time).

Who knows what his real potential could be if he wasn't given such a vanilla gimmick that has nowhere to go but down. I've said it before and I'll say it again due to how he is being used dude is the 21st century Koko B. Ware. "Midcard for Life" should be his new slogan..

Actually Kofi came into WWE as a fake Jamaican. His family went on the radio and condemned him for it. After that, he embraced his Ghanian heritage.

Yo @Dub_Deux, you got an issue with my comment? You have over 10k posts so I'm sure you can say more that Scust(the ? is that word?) and claim I'm catching feelings when Im basically saying the same thing others are doing. Elaborate why I have feelings...
  • Trollio
    Options
    dont really care to explain, just dont care at all
  • smokelahoma
    Options
    Never watched NXT? Big E still needs work but he's better on the mic right now than Alberto Del Rio, Fandango, Jack Swagger and a lot of other cats on that roster that were given a mic to speak on. He's got a unique delivery and an actual mic presence unlike most of those guys.

to be honest, no I havent since season 1 but monday night and the other 2 times they put a mic in his hand was hard to watch. he stumbles through lines and clearly looks nervous, not to mention how awkward he sounds. he aint bobby lashley but he sure aint the Rock either. IDK, u may be right but I cant see it right now.
  • smokelahoma
    Options

Actually Kofi came into WWE as a fake Jamaican. His family went on the radio and condemned him for it. After that, he embraced his Ghanian heritage.

Yo @Dub_Deux, you got an issue with my comment? You have over 10k posts so I'm sure you can say more that Scust(the ? is that word?) and claim I'm catching feelings when Im basically saying the same thing others are doing. Elaborate why I have feelings...

I havent the slightest clue why u quoted me
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont understand what Kofi was supposed to do. He was given a character and tried to play it, then people jump all over him, he didnt choose the character.

Im pretty sure his options were limited to a fake jamaican or a mini kamala
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    our only hope is mark henry or kofi turns heel when he comes back
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    There's so much obvious racism in WWE it's not even funny. I'm glad the guy who's a former writer said what he said because I'm tired of people acting like other people are being paranoid when they point out WWE's racism.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the reason why Booker T left and went to TNA was because they made him take the fall for Randy Orton violating the wellness policy?

• herbalism101
    Options

I havent the slightest clue why u quoted me

I quoted the bolded because I was explaining Kofi using the jamaican gimmick.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yet dudes in this very thread bout to watch smackdown tonight smh
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as long as marks been with the E he should be damn near running that backstage...if he was white he would have the clout of a michaels or taker
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Damn. looking back at those videos, Triple K stayed shittin on Booker T, SMH
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Booker T did more than job in his program with HHH.
    He allowed himself to be humiliated and dehumanized.
    It was so uncomfortable watching that program and the one where he was a member of nWo.

After that, I think he went to a comedy act with Golddust.

? jus wasnt right.
    I hope dude got paid well.
  • Trollio
    Options
    i hope triple h, and vince die
    at the funeral, i hope hbk and kevin nash fall in the grave while scott hall drinks his self into a coma at the reception
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    yet dudes in this very thread bout to watch smackdown tonight smh

Thats the ? im talking about. Exactly.
  • herbalism101
    Options
    Can't lie, I've rarely watched Raw or Smackdown for the last few months. I'll check the reviews and if there were dope matches I'll just check out that match.