Bill Simmons

13»

Comments

• dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bill simmons is the nba pre-game skip bayless; but less polarizing..he just states the obvious or ask the former players questions and drops little funny references here and there..other than he just catches feelings about the celtics..wilbon sucks on there too; trying to be different and keep calling magic, earvin
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bill simmons is the nba pre-game skip bayless; but less polarizing..he just states the obvious or ask the former players questions and drops little funny references here and there..other than he just catches feelings about the celtics..wilbon sucks on there too; trying to be different and keep calling magic, earvin

This shut b havin me dyin. And with such confidence!! Lol Like he knows the 'real' Magic...
  • S2J
    bignorm wrote: »
    No matter what they are, when you put them on tv, they are commentators.

Preach. A lot of them have not recieved this memo
  • S2J
    edited July 2013
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Matt = Bill Simmons

Yep. They know their lane is jokes and sarcasm, b/c if they need to get serious no one respects it.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea he's super wack
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not gonna defend BS on this. I personally find this feud dumming. It started when Simmons put Doc on blast back in 06 (and he wasnt the only one who wanted Rivers outta there back then).

I might be biased because im a Celts fan from overseas, but to me, it seemed like Doc had painted himself into a corner in Boston and wanted out. So i get Simmons "First this, then that" deal. I need to get something clarified for me: Did Ainge want Doc to stay, or didnt he?

If yes, then Doc is to blame, because he told about all those things he wanted to do outside of coaching in the NBA. Then Doc let Ainge and co. playing "Wait and see" and when they finally made up their minds and said "Eff this, he isnt gonna stay" they looked into getting something of value out of him. That would be the Clippers who just booted Vinny Del ? out. Then Doc started saying that the decision was mutual. Really? Doesnt sound mutual to me at all. Sounds like Doc was holding the Celts hostage, he would bail anyway it would seem. So my standpoint is this:

Doc wanted out, but wanted to save face in Boston. He played all this uncertainty about his future, when really, all he wanted was to go out west. Simmons called him out on that. Not in the most constructive of ways, but thats Bill Simmons for you. He is a fan, and not the casual every-day fan. He is one of those obsessed fans. He knows that it will likely be a while before Boston is contending for anything in the NBA, and he doesnt like it.

On a final note: After Doc Rivers kid started firing shots at Simmons on Twitter, BS responded with this little gem:
    When I get home I'm signing up my 5 and a half year old son for Twitter so he can defend me against Doc Rivers' kids.

I spat water all over when i read that. That is perhaps the most smart thing said in this whole bru-ha-ha thus far
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simmons is a fan, hes not a basketball guru at all and all he does is opinionate what he thinks... I swear I'm going back to college to take some of these fools jobs.... Dude doesn't know ? about basketball
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody's beating him at some "NBA trivia", but that doesn't qualify you to sit on a panel with real journalists, hall of famers, and --- Jalen. lol.

If that's the case, I need to be on FOX NFL Sunday this year.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited July 2013
    Him and Doc Rivers squashed the feud last Friday according to Simmons on his latest podcast. Wilbon set it up lol.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Simmons is better at writing because he has time to actually flesh out what he wants to say and actually sit back and see how a lot of ? plays through before saying it. On live television he gets to caught up in the moment and tends to get more hyperbolic than most commentators.

His humor is very dry, not to mention Magic and Wilbon don't seem really comfortable or as fun loving with him as the TNT crew (minus wack ass Shaq) are together. ESPN's basketball show is also very corny for the fact that they seem to have clear cut talking points they never stray from. They will talk about the big market teams even when they aren't playing the game they are showing. ESPN's bias is unbelievably obvious which is a serious conflict of interest.
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    He gonna attack Stevens for "quitting" on Butler?
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allergens wrote: »
    R.D. wrote: »
    Simmons>>>>>Jalen

Its so hard to listen to Jalen Rose try to be an analyst

The entire team at ESPN is horrible, i actually rather they just go back to john barry, they need to hire chris webber, he's ? as a in game guy, but potential GOAT in the studio

I fuxx with Webber too. He's a bit boring and too "PC" with his commentary, but it's non-bias and has substance.

If he says a player needs to improve, he'll break down exactly what they need to improve, etc.

If he feels a team can or can't win, he breaks down why instead of just coming off like a hater or some simple ass homer.

He's almost like a young, black Hubie Brown in the making.