Buddhist 3 Marks of Existence and Analysis of the Soul Theory

Options
124»

Comments

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    on the night the Buddha was conceived, Queen Maya dreamt that a white elephant with six white tusks entered her right side, and ten months later Siddhartha was born.......

maya_dreams_of_the_elephant_before_buddha.jpg
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whats your point?
  • bambu
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    Whats your point?

That this is a lie.........

Most of the supernatural beliefs that people associate with Buddhism comes from different traditions outside of Buddhism. Taosim and Hinduism come to mind.

• Bodhi
    Options
    They do. Reincarnation is one. The Buddha taught regeneration of matter/energy, not the rebirth of a soul like many people wrongly interpret it. Hinduism teaches rebirth of souls.

Religious Taoism includes ancestor worship. Buddhism does not. But many Chinese mix the two along with Confucianism yet Buddhism per se does not involve supernatural practices.
  • bambu
    Options
    yet Buddhism per se does not involve supernatural practices.

shapeimage_29.png

The Buddha found his first place of study at Sravasti. He needed to purchase a section of land and had a merchant devotee of his buy the land at an incredibly high price. As much land as could be covered by gold coins. After the land was purchased he and his followers moved in. The area became known as the Jetavana Grove and had several buildings constructed.

Sravasti is also significant because it is where The Buddha defeated India’s other minor faiths. Six philosophers came to argue with Shakyamuni (The Buddha) but were defeated, some say with wise arguments but the legend has it Buddha shot in the air on jets of water and flames flew out his sides. He glided through the air. When he sat down the building next to the philosophers exploded and turned into a palace. As the story goes the philosophers they left defeated, their own followers going over to Shakyamuni.

shapeimage_23.pngshapeimage_28.pngshapeimage_22.png

Check%20Mate.gif
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Funny... That passage says "legend has it". Didnt I tell you the buddha warned us about blindly believing in scripture and legends? I think I did.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Even then, that is not Buddhist practice; that is a legend based on the buddha. Surely, you are intelligent enough to recognize the difference.
  • bambu
    Options
    Even then, that is not Buddhist practice; that is a legend based on the buddha. Surely, you are intelligent enough to recognize the difference.

LOL......

I am intelligent enough to see that the Buddha had to do some pretty supernatural ? in order to defeat six philosophers & and gain India's influence.........

twin_miracle.jpg
  • bambu
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Similar to how Bambu defeated a forum full of atheists and ascended to ? status..........

I am the miracle ~ Bambu

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    budda was a deadbeat dad who abandoned his only son to sit under a ? tree and ponder the in's and out's of life.

The answers he came up with can be summarized as a being a death philosophy. A death of self a death of ego while other religions teach you how to deal with your ego budda wants you to erase your ego.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    It doesnt take supernatural abilities to defeat six philosophers. All's needed is a strong argument and superior debating skills. I take it everything else is legend, as it says.
    zombie wrote: »
    budda was a deadbeat dad who abandoned his only son to sit under a ? tree and ponder the in's and out's of life.

The answers he came up with can be summarized as a being a death philosophy. A death of self a death of ego while other religions teach you how to deal with your ego budda wants you to erase your ego.

You are so right. Idk how I didnt see that before. Thank you, @zombie
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It doesnt take supernatural abilities to defeat six philosophers. All's needed is a strong argument and superior debating skills. I take it everything else is legend, as it says.
    zombie wrote: »

You are so right. Idk how I didnt see that before. Thank you, @zombie

your welcome .
  • bambu
    Options
    It doesnt take supernatural abilities to defeat six philosophers. All's needed is a strong argument and superior debating skills.

Indeed......

However, the Buddha elected to ascend and shoot fire & water out of his ass tho'...........

• Bodhi
    Options
  • bambu
    Options
    Myth

If this is mythological.......

Then the teachings of the Buddha are also "myth".....

• Bodhi
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Very well. It may be the Buddha never even existed historically. The only thing that matters is the reliability of the teaching. The Buddha invited us to test it for ourselves and if it holds true, practice it; if not, abandon it. For me, it is true so I practice it regardless of whether or not his life is myth or factual.
  • bambu
    Options
    Very well. It may be the Buddha never even existed historically. The only thing that matters is the reliability of the teaching. The Buddha invited us to test it for ourselves and if it holds true, practice it; if not, abandon it.

I guess it has "reliability"????????

If one needs to ponder "emptiness" & "suffering"......

• Squidward Tentacles
    Squidward Tentacles Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Some Buddhists believe in the supernatural. though it is not generally taught, they still do. that passage is obviously exaggerated to an extent but that does not disprove the Buddha's life and everything he taught. It is about the practice, not the belief.
  • bambu
    edited July 2013
    Options
    For the ? that need bodyguards to walk the e-streets.............

LOL @ the poster protection program.................

http://youtu.be/xp46V0-QvTk