New 'atheist map' of the world

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

China has the highest amount of atheists living in a single country with nearly 50 per cent of its population describing themselves as non-believers, a new survey has revealed. Around 47 per cent of people living in China describe themselves as atheists compared to an average of 13 per cent across the world. A 2012 poll by WIN/Gallup International surveyed more than 50,000 people across 40 countries whether they considered themselves 'religious', 'not religious' or 'convinced atheist'.

It is perhaps not surprising that China has the highest amount of atheists as its republic government was officially atheist when it formed in 1949. All temples temples and religious relics were destroyed during the Cultural Revolution of 1967 to 1977. But the country did relax its religious policy with the 1978 Constitution of the People's Republic of China guaranteeing 'freedom of religion' in Article 36.

The policy regarding religious practice in China states that 'no state ? , public organization or individual may compel citizens to believe in, or not to believe in, any religion; nor may they discriminate against citizens because they do, or do not believe in religion.' Since the mid-1980s there has been a massive program to rebuild Buddhist and Taoist temples. In recent times, the government has expressed support for Buddhism and Taoism, organizing the World Buddhist Forum in 2006 and the International Forum on the Daodejing in 2007. The government sees these religions as an integral part of Chinese culture.

There are five religions recognized by the state, namely Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, Catholicism, and Protestantism. But these figures appear to suggest that much of the skepticism surrounding organized religion in the country has survived. Whereas in Japan, where a post-WWII taboo still remains, with 31 per cent still atheists. One of the most surprising figures in the Islamic country of Saudi Arabia where five per cent of the population described themselves as atheists, despite this being considered a crime.

This compares to just one per cent in both Iraq and Afghanistan who describe themselves as atheists. And in Italy, the home of the Catholic Church, support is still strong with nearly three-fourths of Italians consider themselves religious, which is actually up on 2005's figures. Earlier this week Pope Francis has said atheists who are good are redeemed by Jesus in a homily urging that people of differing beliefs work together.

WIN/Gallup notes that religion is strongest among the poor and the less educated, which correlates among the most religious countries.

In Ghana, Nigeria, Armenia and Fiji, more than nine in 10 people say they’re religious.

article-2330314-19F95E72000005DC-158_634x381.jpg

Comments

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know if this is a plus or minus in showing this graph. On the one hand, it's showing that atheism is being accepted around the world. And on the other hand, it's concentration is in a place where it is rumored to be a threat to America.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    I don't know if this is a plus or minus in showing this graph. On the one hand, it's showing that atheism is being accepted around the world. And on the other hand, it's concentration is in a place where it is rumored to be a threat to America.
    ...although the article points out why this wouldn't really be a new development

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    This goes to show that the growth of an economy correlates with religious belief, or lack of. For China though, it isn't surprising seeing as how the major Asian religions/philosophies (Buddhism, Taosim, Confucianism) can be non theistic and all previously mentioned lack belief in a creator ? . This kind of confuses me regarding the map and the article since its possible to be atheist and any number of these three major Asian religions.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »
    ...although the article points out why this wouldn't really be a new development

? !!! I though I had something.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    well, its a start.

down with fairy tale/secret friend in the sky/brain wash ?

up with rational/common sense thinking
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    There's more suicides wherever there is a higher concentration of atheism.

Suicide is a sin, look at Japan and China. Then watch this. People talking about how disbelief is a good thing, don't be ? dumb. This world, no this universe is too vast for that. Becoming nihilistic along with being atheist is imminent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And look at the cradle of life, the home of mankind and ELOHIM'S the place where YHWH choose to call the place he love Zion and the Garden of Eden home.

Where he blessed the black nations of Ham, who followed him and knew him first, who didn't let no other nation on earth to conquer, who Had Ham's Son Nimrod to conquer the world and let the black nation of HAM and Shem to live in peace.

Then gave the blessings to the children of Shem who is a mix of Ham and Shem that is known as Hebrews.

AFRIKA is the last place that do not fool with that fuckery,
  • marc123
    Options
    lol @ Zombie for no signin rational/common sense thinking. silly ?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »

I NO-signed you because of your disrespect of the concept of ? .

we do not need atheism to have common sense thinking
  • Zod
    Zod Members Posts: 2
    Options
    So......

It begins...........

• marc123
    edited June 2013
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

belief in ? and common sense thinkin CAN NOT go hand in hand.

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

belief in ? and common sense think CAN NOT go hand in hand.

belief in ? and common sense think CAN NOT go hand in hand.

Sure it can
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    While you can be rational in other areas religion by its nature makes irrational claims.