Black man not guilty of manslaughter in the death of a white teenager thanks to self-defense laws

Options
Matt-
Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
This was wayyyyy back in 2009, and you all have probably all heard about it since it most likely made national news, but just in case:

Not guilty: The verdict in the manslaughter trial of Roderick Scott. After more than 19 hours of deliberations over two days, a jury acquitted the Greece man in the shooting death of Christopher Cervini, 17, last April.

"I just want to say thank you to the people who believed in me, who stood by me,” Scott said following the verdict. “I still have my regrets for the Cervini family; it's still an unfortunate situation for them. I am happy that at least this chapter is over."

As deliberations dragged on over two days and the jury asked for testimony to be read back, Scott admits he didn't know how it would all turn out.

"I was nervous of course,” he said. “You never know what direction this whole thing is going to turn, so I have no idea. But it worked out and I feel that justice (was) served today."

Cervini's family members say justice wasn't served. They say Christopher was murdered in cold blood, that he'd never been in trouble and Scott acted as judge, jury and executioner.

"The message is that we can all go out and get guns and feel anybody that we feel is threatening us and lie about the fact,” said Jim Cervini, Christopher’s father. “My son never threatened anybody. He was a gentle child, his nature was gentle, he was a good person and he was never, ever arrested for anything, and has never been in trouble. He was 16 years and four months old, and he was slaughtered."

Scott says he acted in self defense when he confronted Cervini and two others saying they were stealing from neighbors cars. He told them he had a gun and ordered them to freeze and wait for police.

Scott says he shot Cervini twice when the victim charged toward him yelling he was going to get Scott.

additional notes:
The prosecution portrayed it as an act of vigilante behavior run amok; Scott and his defense team presented the incident as the unfortunate result of reasonable behavior by a concerned citizen paired with the foolishness of a teenager under the influence of alcohol, drugs and bad peers

Should this case have even gone to a jury?One question raised by this story is whether District Attorney Michael Green and his team made the correct decision to prosecute. Some experts insist that prosecutors should stick to airtight cases, ones where a conviction is all but certain. The Scott case was anything but certain: it occurred in the dead of night, under poorly lit conditions with no objective witnesses (Scott testified on his own behalf, the victim's cousin recounted events from his perspective -- he was one of the alleged thieves).

In this case, there was a legitimate issue to be resolved, one that can only be answered with finality through a formal legal process and a jury decision. That is, was Scott's confronting burglars with his firearm a legitimate action and was his discharge of that firearm done under a reasonable belief that his life was in danger?

These sorts of issues are not clearcut. They test the definitions of "common sense" and "reasonable person." These are precisely the types of cases that benefit from the jury deliberation process. DA Green might have been concerned about whether this case was winnable, but by letting a jury of Scott's peers judge his actions, Green made a wise decision: he returned the implementation of law to the people.

*disclaimer: this is completely unrelated to the zimmerman trial, but it is completely related to idiots who think all black men get convicted of killing someone whenever there is a trial*

Comments

• wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was this even in america?
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Inb4 shitstorm
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white people always get into trouble. good that one was killed
  • OmegaDon
    OmegaDon Members Posts: 1
    Options
    This happened in Greece
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Difference is that teen was not walking to his house and the case made it clear that he was on his way home. These fiends were breaking and entering cars and were spotted doing such. He was not stalking no one and merely checked on his car and dude lunged at him. He should gotten manslaughter charge really, but did the teen had a weapon on him. That's the case.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    OmegaDon wrote: »
    This happened in Greece

Rochester, NY. It was the United States
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This happened in Greece

Pretty sure that's referencing a town in NY and not the actual country.
  • Matt-
    Options
    This happened in Greece
    Thankfully there is an edit button. You should use it so that your first post isn't so stupid.
  • Matt-
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Difference is that teen was not walking to his house and the case made it clear that he was on his way home. These fiends were breaking and entering cars and were spotted doing such. He was not stalking no one and merely checked on his car and dude lunged at him. He should gotten manslaughter charge really, but did the teen had a weapon on him. That's the case.

the difference in what? please refrain from other comparing it to other trials, especially trials that took place well after this one. And i don't know why you would suggest that its ok to shoot and ? a teenager because you suspect he was breaking into a car or that he refused to allow another man with a gun to apprehend him.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »

the difference in what? please refrain from other comparing it to other trials, especially trials that took place well after this one. And i don't know why you would suggest that its ok to shoot and ? a teenager because you suspect he was breaking into a car or that he refused to allow another man with a gun to apprehend him.

All, I said if the teenager came with a weapon at him, than he is justified, if he didn't he is not justified and should be convicted of manslaughter. Teenagers make choices, they have to live by them same as adults, that's why they can be charged as adult depending on the crime.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This happened in Greece
    Thankfully there is an edit button. You should use it so that your first post isn't so stupid.

You could also use that edit button to add the details that led up to his murder.

Anyway, why post this now - did anyone say black people always get convicted ?
  • Matt-
    Options

All, I said if the teenager came with a weapon at him, than he is justified, if he didn't he is not justified and should be convicted of manslaughter. Teenagers make choices, they have to live by them same as adults, that's why they can be charged as adult depending on the crime.

as far as i can tell, he didn't have a weapon.
  • Matt-
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    This happened in Greece

You could also use that edit button to add the details that led up to his murder.

i thought the articles made clear that the kids were breaking into cars.

i'm posting it now b/c i don't think it got the coverage it deserves. Yes people said things like, "let a black man shoot someone, they go to jail" and several variations of such statements. I'm not going to find exact posts, but yes it was said plenty of times.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    White people stole this country.

almost wiped out the natives

And enslaved africans

And are still enslaving them by giving them a ridicolous sentence for a small crime

You really think anyone gives a ? about a white teen getting shot?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    He should have called the police why even confront them boys.
  • Matt-
    Options

And enslaved africans

And are still enslaving them by giving them a ridicolous sentence for a small crime

yeah, they gave a ? about columbine.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

as far as i can tell, he didn't have a weapon.

Then he needs to go to jail. Not enough for self defense.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

And enslaved africans

And the Sandy Hook massacre as well, you had black folks crying tears and you had these same ? IC dudes, getting mad if there was any tiny hint of a joke. People were getting banned left and right and the masses were all for it. Don't let these negroes lie to you @matt
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options

And enslaved africans

I'm talking about black people giving a ? .

And since this site is majority black, your thread was directed at us in counter argument to the zimmerman verdict. Am I right or correct?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    This happened in Greece

i thought the articles made clear that the kids were breaking into cars.

i'm posting it now b/c i don't think it got the coverage it deserves. Yes people said things like, "let a black man shoot someone, they go to jail" and several variations of such statements. I'm not going to find exact post, but yes it was said plenty of times.

I doubt heavily that the IC majority seriously disagreed with somebody breaking into cars, getting their ass whooped.

There's a thread going on right now, to the contrary, where people are saying they're glad the cop shot a Black guy driving an alleged stolen car.

If you have the time to dig up an article from 2009, I can't see why you couldn't also find the IC posts that you claim had posters making those statements.
  • Matt-
    Options

And enslaved africans

And the Sandy Hook massacre as well, you had black folks crying tears and you had these same ? IC dudes, getting mad if there was any tiny hint of a joke. People were getting banned left and right and the masses were all for it. Don't let these negroes lie to you @matt

that was a grade school...the dude said nobody cares about a white teen getting shot. That's why i only referenced Columbine. Maybe some teens died at the movie theater shooting or the VT shooting but i didn't look it up. Alot of folks cared about Natalie Holloway too, although she didn't get shot. I really wish they'd find her body
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matt how did this miss your vigilant eye?
    C9A091F3-DB57-40D2-BAAD-3402F97C26D9-34346-00000FB786EC388F_zps7b3eb13c.jpg
  • Matt-
    Options

And enslaved africans

I'm talking about black people giving a ? .

And since this site is majority black, your thread was directed at us in counter argument to the zimmerman verdict. Am I right or correct?

are those my only choices to answer from?
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did someone say that blacks had a 100% conviction rate? The research I did says it's between 71-81% ( 66% for whites) and that's because it depends on the race of the jurors. I am glad that it was pointed out that this is unrelated to recent events, some people might not have been able to see it.