Heading off to College

Comments

• luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, one more thing. Demand or find some way to actually do what you're studying for. Those general courses waste about 3 years of your college life and money and you can end up graduating with absolutely no skills that are useful. If you have any idea of what you want to do and it's there in that school GO AND MEET THAT PERSON AND DO IT.
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    luke1733 wrote: »
    Oh, one more thing. Demand or find some way to actually do what you're studying for. Those general courses waste about 3 years of your college life and money and you can end up graduating with absolutely no skills that are useful. If you have any idea of what you want to do and it's there in that school GO AND MEET THAT PERSON AND DO IT.
    I'm going for Computer Science so I'm guessing networking with the computer club(?) and interning at computer-oriented businesses would be the way to go?
  • luke1733
    Kameron! wrote: »
    luke1733 wrote: »
    I'm going for Computer Science so I'm guessing networking with the computer club(?) and interning at computer-oriented businesses would be the way to go?
    yup. Good luck and pray. Peace
  • luke1733
    One more suggestion. Find out if World of Coca Cola or CNN has computer engineering jobs (I don't know if you want to fix computers or do graphics designs); I know they do. Apply to places like those for internships and find someone at your school that's like a guidance counselor or someone who can possibly be on your side with this to write cover letters for you or vouche for what type of student you are. That's exactly how people get corporate jobs if that's what you are after. Also keep a portfolio of all your work; even if it is just writing down what you do.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_UvCwEYxAOc

Powerful video on why appearances matter, setting yourself a part at job fairs, and changing and upgrading your wardrobe.
  • IceManKam
    Any tips on social life? I'm living on campus so I'm bound to come across alot of people, events, situations, chicks, etc.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.Invest in a GQ subscription.

2.Think of the library as your gym. Work hard and often to get the best results.

3.Your network is your net worth! I don't care if you're introverted as ? . The people you meet in college will end up being great leads for future job opportunities.

4.Wrap the ? up!!!! Somewhere on campus, there is an office where they give away free condoms. Be very familiar with this location.

5.It's a whole lot of fun ? that you will be inundated with, but remember why you're there.

6. Finally, be proud of yourself. You are a young black man going against what society says you should be doing at this age. Proud of you bro!
  • Maximus Rex
    Any tips on social life? I'm living on campus so I'm bound to come across alot of people, events, situations, chicks, etc.

Ask. Find out where ? hang at. This you chance to walk up to random females and ask them where the party is at. Like dude said, join those clubs. You might be interested in developing a small circle of female friends. Make sure they're hot though. One of the easiest ways to meet chicks is to give off the impression that hot women like being around. It's a weird social dynamic that will get a chick's competitive juices following, kinda like when ratchet chicks ? with dudes with chicks in order to prove that their better than the baby's mama. You might want to join a fraternity, but join the one that's a right fight for you. I suggest that you research "Greek Life," at LSU and take a look at the frats, then see which one might appeal to you. Once you do that, start researching the frat. The frat muthafuckas are like employees in that they want you to know about the history of the organization and traditions of the frat.

9780758202703_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

511NxhypwrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

These are books on black fraternities, you might want to take a look at them.

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    ? THIS HELPS A LOT TOO SINCE I START AT NIU NEXT MONTH
  • IceManKam
    I might start working out a bit in college too since there's a large recreational center on campus
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    I might start working out a bit in college too since there's a large recreational center on campus

yeah once i move in ima stay in there when im not studying or doing work.
  • Maximus Rex

? are in the gym too. If your school is like mine, they'll offer different types of workout classes. Enroll in the yogs course.
  • purpngold
    purpngold Members Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZGddcfyLeo

• BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    I dont quote ? from rappers but this j cole line got me

"Hey, to the college kids no scholarships
    Starting your semester
    Unpacking your suitcases filling up your dresser
    Enjoy it while you got it, after that it’s ? bless ya
    Life is your professor, know that ? is gon' test ya"

THATS THE TRUTH, ? flies by, im a senior on my undergraduate ? and its been like 5 yrs since i graduated high school ? aint no joke

STUDY WAAAAAY B4 TESTS, ? come later, volunteer and just overall enjoy it, dont be scared to do something just do it
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    once you develop good study habits school will be easy. ? it up in the begining worrying about the wrong things will get you messed up quick
  • Trockm
    Trockm Members Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't party so much your first year. Establish what you want to major in by year 2, other than that you'll be straight
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4biggest points I can give:
    1) Research heavily in how much your major makes and what the unemployment rate for people in your major
    2) Please be smarter than I was when financing your education. even little 100$ grants pay off in the long run
    3) decide early if your going to get a part time job. I'd advise against it in your first year till you get with the flow
    4) Enjoy yourself, but remember you're there to better yourself and have a promising future not party.
  • IceManKam
    Got my financial aid settled today to help me pay for living expenses (living on campus runs at around 5k a semester)
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the greatest time ever in college, and the 1 tip I would give:

Network. Network doesnt mean smooch up to people already in power, it means get to know as many people as possible, your fellow classmates...b/c those people are the people you will get job referals from in 5...10...maybe even 15 yrs.

Just by playing intramural sports i know dozens of people in my area makin money, in postions to hire, etc.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Oh yea...If you get financial aide theres a chance you get a "refund". Meaning, the amount they put in your bank account is MORE than the amount calculated for your room n board/tuition.

Example:

Total costs for 1 semester- 10k
    Student Loan- 8k
    Financial aide/grant-4k

"refund"= 2k

Sure you can spend that money, but the wiser thing would be to save it.

• Little JJ
    Little JJ Members Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Network and do whatever it takes to get good grades, there are strategies to both of those that you will find out very soon.

You're gonna "find yourself" while at college so take advantage of the experience....
  • IceManKam
    Huge update...

My college education (including living on campus and other expenses) have pretty much been paid for by financial aid
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge update...

My college education (including living on campus and other expenses) have pretty much been paid for by financial aid

Congrats bro. They keep messing up my aid for school
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not too many people get opportunities like this. Make the most it. School work comes before anything but have fun also. I made the mistake of being consumed by my school work and missed some enjoyable moments.
  • IceManKam
    jee504 wrote: »
    Not too many people get opportunities like this. Make the most it. School work comes before anything but have fun also. I made the mistake of being consumed by my school work and missed some enjoyable moments.

Yeah I've noticed that in a past week there's alot of opportunities for fun...friends and folks asking if I wanna go out practically everyday but right now I feel that developing a work ethic is key to succeding in college.