Has ‘Caucasian’ Lost Its Meaning?

bambu
bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
AS a racial classification, the term Caucasian has many flaws, dating as it does from a time when the study of race was based on skull measurements and travel diaries. It has long been entirely unmoored from its geographical reference point, the Caucasus region. Its equivalents from that era are obsolete — nobody refers to Asians as “Mongolian” or blacks as “Negroid.”

07WHITE-popup.jpg

The use of Caucasian to mean white was popularized in the late 18th century by Johann Friedrich Blumenbach, a German anthropologist, who decreed that it encompassed Europeans and the inhabitants of a region reaching from the Obi River in Russia to the Ganges to the Caspian Sea, plus northern Africans. He chose it because the Caucasus was home to “the most beautiful race of men, I mean the Georgians,” and because among his collection of 245 human skulls, the Georgian one was his favorite wrote Nell Irvin Painter, a historian who explored the term’s origins in her book “The History of White People.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/sunday-review/has-caucasian-lost-its-meaning.html?_r=0

Has ‘Caucasian’ Lost Its Meaning? 16 votes

Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
87%
bambu2stepz_aheadCopperBeleeDatPleighboyunspoken_respectMr.LVWill MunnyNothingButTheTruthStoneColdMikeyLou CypherLaReinade06cannonspike1994UndergroundraplegendSquidward Tentacles 14 votes
Caucasian is a good description.....
12%
CracceRblackgod813 2 votes

Comments

• NIKE...
    NIKE... Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think about ? like that..a ? is a ? until proven otherwise
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    I don't really give a ? about this.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    I don't know about meaning... but they lost their souls along time ago...if they ever had any
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i refer to asians as mongols and blaccs as negroids
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    Honestly, if all those people were lined up next to each other I could only see two colors. White and really white.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    ? is just fine i suppose.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    Copper wrote: »
    I don't know about meaning... but they lost their souls along time ago...if they ever had any

I'm sick B, I got a hole in my heart.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If u look white, you're white to me.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    no...caucasian has alot of meanings

lets see....

cumdrop
    kebler
    toenail clippin
    mayo twin
    birdshit
    foamy
    wonder bread
    cave dweller
    snowflake
    vanilla ?
    pink toes

i have more but i have work to do
  • Squidward Tentacles
    Squidward Tentacles Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    I've been called a ? since middle school, it'd be weird if someone changed it up now.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>

We already know they have no souls lets not kid ourselves here
  • bambu
    edited July 2013
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    Gordon-t_CA0-articleLarge.jpg

nell-painter-history-white-people.jpg

history%20of%20white%20people.jpg
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whiteness is becoming less important.

What's becoming more important is that you're not black. All non-blacks are becoming the same.
  • Copper
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    This ? bambu got a craka chart
    bambu wrote: »

Barbarian is a good one...
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AS a racial classification, the term Caucasian has many flaws, dating as it does from a time when the study of race was based on skull measurements and travel diaries. It has long been entirely unmoored from its geographical reference point, the Caucasus region. Its equivalents from that era are obsolete — nobody refers to Asians as “Mongolian” or blacks as “Negroid.”

07WHITE-popup.jpg

The use of Caucasian to mean white was popularized in the late 18th century by Johann Friedrich Blumenbach, a German anthropologist, who decreed that it encompassed Europeans and the inhabitants of a region reaching from the Obi River in Russia to the Ganges to the Caspian Sea, plus northern Africans. He chose it because the Caucasus was home to “the most beautiful race of men, I mean the Georgians,” and because among his collection of 245 human skulls, the Georgian one was his favorite wrote Nell Irvin Painter, a historian who explored the term’s origins in her book
    “The History of White People.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/sunday-review/has-caucasian-lost-its-meaning.html?_r=0

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/474806/has-anyone-read-history-of-white-people/p1

Remember this thread?!!!!
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the term...what do they mean north Africa
  • bambu
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

07WHITE-popup.jpg

The use of Caucasian to mean white was popularized in the late 18th century by Johann Friedrich Blumenbach, a German anthropologist, who decreed that it encompassed Europeans and the inhabitants of a region reaching from the Obi River in Russia to the Ganges to the Caspian Sea, plus northern Africans. He chose it because the Caucasus was home to “the most beautiful race of men, I mean the Georgians,” and because among his collection of 245 human skulls, the Georgian one was his favorite wrote Nell Irvin Painter, a historian who explored the term’s origins in her book

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/474806/has-anyone-read-history-of-white-people/p1

Yea.....

I dropped a pdf to the book in there..........

This article was posted on Sunday in the NYT.............

• CracceR
    This ? bambu got a craka chart

Barbarian is a good one...

barbarian simply means non greek speaking in ancient times
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

07WHITE-popup.jpg

Yea.....

I dropped a pdf to the book in there..........

This article was posted on Sunday in the NYT.............

Okay, ethered. Damn, it took that long for that book to get that much exposure ? . They really don't want to hear the truth. I had to deal with that saturday and sunday with the huge amount of denial. Not saying YOU are a bad person, but we ain't as bad as you think we are and YOUR people aren't nowhere near an angelic people and closer to something you want to disassociate yourself with and want to associate us with.
  • bambu
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    CracceR wrote: »

Greeks used it for the people of different cultures but also to deride other Greek tribes and states.........

• CracceR

Greeks used it for the people of different cultures but also to deride other Greek tribes and states.........

yep i read somewhere that greeks couldnt understand these other cultures and tribes and to them the language sounded like barbarbarbar hence the name
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn I didn't realize there was all those kinds of different shades of white, and im white.
  • Ajackson17
    Yeah, I knew about barbarian meaning. It was kinda of hilarious and intellectually lazy on the greeks part.
  • bambu
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>

yep i read somewhere that greeks couldnt understand these other cultures and tribes and to them the language sounded like barbarbarbar hence the name

mid-14c., from Medieval Latin barbarinus (source of Old French barbarin "Berber, pagan, Saracen, barbarian"), from Latin barbaria "foreign country," from Greek barbaros "foreign, strange, ignorant," from PIE root *barbar- echoic of unintelligible speech of foreigners (cf. Sanskrit barbara- "stammering," also "non-? ," Latin balbus "stammering," Czech blblati "to stammer").

• Copper
    Crepy-ass-? >>>>>>>
    Savage ass barbarians