To My Down South ? , Why Do Y'all Let Those White Folks Flaunt the Confederacy in Your Face?

Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Seriously, why do you ? down there tolerate that ? . Aren't you the lest bite bothered by the fact that these people are flying a flag that men went into battle and died under to keep our ancestors enslaved. Then these same muthafuckas that fought for the Confederacy went and instituted segregation after the SCOTUS upheld Plessy

2011-09-02-13-18-08-2-supporters-of-a-sons-of-confederate-veterans.jpeg

Mississippi.jpg

Mississippi State Flag

Seriously though, with the Confederacy is venerated in the South and considering how they treat the men who fought for the Confederacy as if they heroes fighting a glorious clause instead of the traitors they were, I don't understand why y'all tolerate that this ? .

And to my Tennessee ? have you ever been?

10053637.jpg

When Nathan Bedford Forrest started:

[img]http://theswash.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Klu-Klux-? -with-Conderate-Flag.jpg[/img]

So when y'all go to that park, just keep in mind that the State of Tennessee feel it's appropriate to memorize a man who started an organization that is directly responsible for the disenfranchisement, terrorizing, ? , and murder of thousands of our brothers and sisters. Tennessee also feel it's cool put a bust of him in the state capitol.

3384541793_fa5782a121.jpg[img][/img]As bad as y'all talk about the Jews, you know damn well they would never tolerate Neo Nazis flying swastikas, let alone allow for parks being named Anton Drexler and having a bust of him some where. Hell, Buddhists constantly have to make distinctions between they're symbol and the one the Nazis used and nobody has been able to wear a "? moustache," since the Second World War. Personally, I'm so oftened by that Tennessee ? that I refuse to ? with Jack Daniels because of it, and in case you're wondering, Jack Daniels is made in Tennessee.

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly slavery played a minuscule part in that war.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited July 2013

1) The Civil War was about "state's rights?" Correct?

2) Wasn't one of those "state's rights," to own people?

The Constitution of the United States contains thoughts and freedoms that we hold dear, such as, freedom of the press, religion, assembly, speech, the right to bear arms, the right against illegal search and seizure, the right to be told of the charges against us, to confront our accusers in open court, and a ban against cruel and usual punishment. These are fundamental rights which the Founding Father's felt needed in the Constitution to establish a secure and stable nation.

http://www.usconstitution.net/csa.html

1. The importation of negroes of the African race from any foreign country other than the slaveholding States or Territories of the United States of America, is hereby forbidden; and Congress is required to pass such laws as shall effectually prevent the same.

2. Congress shall also have power to prohibit the introduction of slaves from any State not a member of, or Territory not belonging to, this Confederacy.

In all such territory the institution of ? slavery, as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress and by the Territorial government; and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories shall have the right to take to such Territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the States or Territories of the Confederate States.

The following is from the Limits of Conngress, Bill of Rights and Amendment Four Section Three of the Constitution of the Confederacy, if slavery was such a "minuscule," why didn't the Confederacy banned it. Now only did Confederacy not ban slavery, it was the first thing they addressed in their Bill of Rights and Limitations on Congress, and it also covered preventing any sort of "Dred Scott" situations. Don't get it twisted, slavery played a big part in the Civil War because the Southern economy was dependent upon it, especially on those big ass plantations, "? ," couldn't afford to pay all of those slaves.

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    ...probably because we are preoccupied with trying to avoid being ? , robbed or killed by our own people to notice.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    you remember incorrectly, especially considering the states that specifically cited slavery as a reason to secede.

• luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a down south black man and we didn't let it fly. WE VOTED AND TOOK IT DOWN IN GEORGIA! As a kid in the 90's I was out there holding signs to inform voters of the date to vote. Many other blacks in other southern states voted to remove that flag or have it changed, some just didn't have the success. As for individuals with swastikas, and license plates of the confederacy then damn I ain't going to prison for offing some guy that decides he wants to paint a symbol of hatred toward me. The best thing I can do to that guy is get a good job, take his job from him and laugh as he blames black folk for his own self-hatred and anger at his damnation. Really, though, are you blaming down south black men for not going to every single car with a confederate tag or flag in somebody's yard on personal property, or on state buildings and rip those flags off??? Really? I get the point, but that's like me saying why do we let Bill O' Reilly exist.
  • janklow
    luke1733 wrote: »
    Really, though, are you blaming down south black men for not going to every single car with a confederate tag or flag in somebody's yard on personal property, or on state buildings and rip those flags off??? Really?
    some people on this forum do seem to think black dudes should be constantly on a mission for violent justice against whatever random thing is most objectionable in their area

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    I'm a down south black man and we didn't let it fly. WE VOTED AND TOOK IT DOWN IN GEORGIA! As a kid in the 90's I was out there holding signs to inform voters of the date to vote. Many other blacks in other southern states voted to remove that flag or have it changed, some just didn't have the success. As for individuals with swastikas, and license plates of the confederacy then damn I ain't going to prison for offing some guy that decides he wants to paint a symbol of hatred toward me. The best thing I can do to that guy is get a good job, take his job from him and laugh as he blames black folk for his own self-hatred and anger at his damnation. Really, though, are you blaming down south black men for not going to every single car with a confederate tag or flag in somebody's yard on personal property, or on state buildings and rip those flags off??? Really? I get the point, but that's like me saying why do we let Bill O' Reilly exist.

I don't know if this response was towards me, but if so let me respond. When I made that comment, it wasn't to blame "blacks" for anything. It was just to suggest that not all blacks are not...as janklow says...is "on a mission". As much as racism is still alive in the South, that is not where all of us live. The times are different. The struggle is different. For some, they are trying to deal with what is going on in the home; trying to get pass all of the oppression that exist in the family or the community. For them, it's harder to be fired up about the racial tensions against the white oppressors when they got to worry about the tension that exist where they live. It's good that you had a part in getting the Confederate flag removed or change and maybe it's the start of good things to come for Black America. But at the end of the day, we still have to deal with ourselves and if we are not willing to see this, we may end up using white supremacy as an "excuse" for our own irresponsibilities instead of putting it in it's proper place.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    "During the Civil War, Lincoln clarified his position on the war and slavery. "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not to either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also so that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

Civil War was about bringing the South back into the Union, whether slavery was maintained or not.

To answer T/S, I don't ? with em when I see it because they don't ? with me. They are mostly white trash that probably didn't graduate high school. I'm more concerned with the Europeans that actually have the power to oppress / assist in oppressing my people.
  • Black Boy King
    janklow wrote: »
    you remember incorrectly, especially considering the states that specifically cited slavery as a reason to secede.

I think he's implying that the moral issue of slavery was a minuscule part of the war (though most people think and were taught it was the number one reason). Even 6th graders know the Civil War was about had something to do with slavery.
  • luke1733
    alissowack wrote: »

I don't know if this response was towards me, but if so let me respond. When I made that comment, it wasn't to blame "blacks" for anything. It was just to suggest that not all blacks are not...as janklow says...is "on a mission". As much as racism is still alive in the South, that is not where all of us live. The times are different. The struggle is different. For some, they are trying to deal with what is going on in the home; trying to get pass all of the oppression that exist in the family or the community. For them, it's harder to be fired up about the racial tensions against the white oppressors when they got to worry about the tension that exist where they live. It's good that you had a part in getting the Confederate flag removed or change and maybe it's the start of good things to come for Black America. But at the end of the day, we still have to deal with ourselves and if we are not willing to see this, we may end up using white supremacy as an "excuse" for our own irresponsibilities instead of putting it in it's proper place.

My written response wasn't toward you but to the host who posed the question, but the little avatar mark to your comment was. My experience with people who like to critique blacks spend more time saying the exact same thing the media and others not black have said for over countless years and still say. Why be negative against yourself and what positive comes forth from negativity? That's my point. The other thing is that people get on a tangent "the problem with black people is..." when these same people do not bother to read and spread the positive about black people. So when this happens, what is the result? Last, the many people that are not active in any organization that actually helps black people are the first ones to say these organizations do nothing and go back to critiquing blacks
  • janklow
    Ziryab wrote: »
    "During the Civil War, Lincoln clarified his position on the war and slavery. "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not to either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also so that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

Civil War was about bringing the South back into the Union, whether slavery was maintained or not.
    note: that quote you're using is cut short, as it leaves off the part about his PERSONAL opinions.
    I think he's implying that the moral issue of slavery was a minuscule part of the war (though most people think and were taught it was the number one reason). Even 6th graders know the Civil War was about had something to do with slavery.
    over the years, there's been a big push to minimize slavery as a cause of the war, from various sorts for various reasons. but if you look at the states both seceding at that time and threatening to secede on prior occasions, they're explicit about the role slavery plays.

now, are there other factors beside slavery also at work, even if overshadowed by it? of course.
  • luke1733
    It was slavery 95%. The entire south ran off slavery. Everyone did not have slaves, but the slaves were rented out to do work for others. The money made from slavery built insurance companies, banks, and the industry you see in the south. Free labor infiltrated every system of the south. Years after slavery the Union had to keep soldiers in the south for one reason AND that reason was never to watch southern business flourish or worry about them seceding from the country as terrorists (I say terrorists because collectively they attacked the US), the Union had to protect the south from reinstating SLAVERY (which they still couldn't stop all forms; as some continued all the way up to the early 1900's)
  • Black Boy King
    janklow wrote: »

note: that quote you're using is cut short, as it leaves off the part about his PERSONAL opinions.
    over the years, there's been a big push to minimize slavery as a cause of the war, from various sorts for various reasons. but if you look at the states both seceding at that time and threatening to secede on prior occasions, they're explicit about the role slavery plays.

now, are there other factors beside slavery also at work, even if overshadowed by it? of course.

His personal opinions are irrelevant here. Lincoln wasn't fighting the war for himself, it was for the Union. Lincoln clearly said the objective of the war is to save the Union. Slavery or no slavery. For the love of slavery or for the hate of slavery. I agree that slavery played the number one role in the war, but it was NOT about saving Moors. It was about money and the South becoming too powerful with free labor.

But if you want to discuss Lincoln's personal opinions of slavery, we can change the topic...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8319858/Abraham-Lincoln-wanted-to-deport-slaves-to-new-colonies.html
    Abraham Lincoln wanted to ship freed black slaves away from the US to British colonies in the Caribbean even in the final months of his life, it has emerged.
    They found an order from Mr Lincoln in June 1863 authorising a British colonial agent, John Hodge, to recruit freed slaves to be sent to colonies in what are now the countries of Guyana and Belize.
    “Hodge reported back to a British minister that Lincoln said it was his ‘honest desire’ that this emigration went ahead,” said Mr Page, a historian at Oxford University.

I can't recall the book, but there is one out there on the truth of Abe. He had a distaste for slaves around him but he gaves no ? when it was out of sight (something like Americans hate hearing children die, but say ? Muslims in Arabia lmao, smh). In the Emancipation Proclamation, he clearly states that he "freed" slaves in the Confederacy (lmao HOW????????????? LMAO THEY SECEDED) and he PURPOSELY AND INTENTIONALLY DID NOT free the slaves of the Union border states wHICH HE HAD CONTROL OVER.

Please excuse the caps I use sometimes, but these are things people must see. This isn't high tech rocket science doctorate degree ? . This is simple history that has been purposefully taught WRONG.
  • janklow
    His personal opinions are irrelevant here. Lincoln wasn't fighting the war for himself, it was for the Union. Lincoln clearly said the objective of the war is to save the Union. Slavery or no slavery.
    correct. but when you use a quote that is cut short in the manner you have it there for the specific purpose of bashing Lincoln... well, you should probably use the entire quote.
    But if you want to discuss Lincoln's personal opinions of slavery, we can change the topic...
    which in turn means it remains interesting that you will throw out THESE quotes, but not the rest of the one you used prior. since you didn't do it for SOME reason, let me go ahead and throw it out there:

"I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free."

shocking, Lincoln was alive in the 1860s and thought slaves moving back to Africa would be "better for them" than staying in the US. it's almost like guys at the time didn't have the open-minded attitudes of 2013.
    In the Emancipation Proclamation, he clearly states that he "freed" slaves in the Confederacy (lmao HOW????????????? LMAO THEY SECEDED)-
    i guess you missed the ENTIRE POINT of a war which was basically saying the South didn't have the right to secede in the manner they did and was thus thought to preserve the Union? thus, freeing slaves in states in rebellion.
    -and he PURPOSELY AND INTENTIONALLY DID NOT free the slaves of the Union border states wHICH HE HAD CONTROL OVER.
    if you're freeing the slaves in states in rebellion BECAUSE they were in rebellion, you're not going to free slaves for the same reason in border states (or, for that matter, in non-border states). doesn't make it the morally right thing to do, but you posted all the above stuff about Lincoln and you find this legal reasoning confusing?
    This is simple history that has been purposefully taught WRONG.
    i don't think you should say this and downplay slavery as a cause of the war.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it should be removed from any Government/public facilities but there's nothing you can do about the individual fools who still fly it.
  • Maximus Rex
    In light of recent events, I have again ask this question.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just have to keep knocking some cac's out......