Flavor Flav Explains Why Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar & Drake Music Is "Not Hip Hop"

Comments

• Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeeeeeah Boyyyyyy

Flave might be clowning most of the time, but he is...let's say, not totally wrong at some point
    The thing about that lost element in Hip Hop he talked about for example. IMO it's not even about one
    Because the last decade felt like one big Hip Hop culture shock to me, now im talking mainly mainstream

Kendrick is definitely a Hip Hop artist to me, he may experiment with all kind of beats and styles all he wan't
    As long as he don't forget what gave him the opportunity in the first place, and that was *drum-sounds* Hip Hop
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Een though he's wrong...I get what he means...
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has a point. Hip Hop is fun when its at the 93-108 BPM range. I'm sick and tired of these R.Kelly's "bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce" 68-75 BPM tracks.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaySwift wrote: »
    He has a point. Hip Hop is fun when its at the 93-108 BPM range. I'm sick and tired of these R.Kelly's "bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce" 68-75 BPM tracks.

Hip Hop isn't music...
  • bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Dude is in PE so he entitled to his opinion. Its funny to see ? hate on people who are doing better than them.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    If he would've explained more I think he would've had a point.
    Flav don't give a ? tho.
    As long as he getting paid people can call him all kinds of crispety crunchety crackety ? .

? I missed this place.
  • GovernmentCheese
    GovernmentCheese Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    "There's no more of that 'Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care' - you know, something that makes you wanna get out there and breakdance,"

westbrookb.gif

Flav start doing spinaroonies in his kitchen every time he like a song.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    He does have a point tho, when was the last time you've seen a bunch of black kids breakdancing ? Or people doing grafitti ? The only area he's wrong is with the music component but remember Hip-Hop is a culture not just limited to music. The music was just a form of expression. The aforementioned artists transcended Hip-Hop into Pop music for dollars and commercial appeal which is exactly what we hear now and as a result, certain elements of the culture weren't so lucky in the transitioning as they simply weren't as profitable.

I get what he's saying but I felt he dropped the ball in not explaining it well. Hip-Hop's musical component went to the moon but the other ? these ? are doing arguably isn't Hip-Hop. Also b/c of who it is and his history history with drugs, ? are quick to dismiss him w/o thinking about it. If you young you won't understand, if you older you'll feel what he's saying. We went from breakdancing to twerk videos, grafitti to stereotypical internet memes ("? be like...."), rappers wearing skirts and rap music being a laughable career choice for people wanting to get out the hood (which contradicts part of Hip-Hop's goal). At the same time tho it's sort of the old school's fault for not properly grooming the new generation, it sorta was and wasn't their fault tho. Today many don't even own their own music and are broke b/c of shady label practices.

Rap MUSIC has come along way but the rest of the culture hasn't been so fortunate.

Iuno just my 2 cents, it really can go both ways tho....

*has never been in an NYC subway post*

Dead ass tho, every time them kids get on the train, turn on the boombox and start spinning on poles I wanna punch one of them ? in the face for almost kicking me. But yeah, I dunno about other places, but dancing in general is still big in NY, though dancing for the most part has been clowned for the past decade. I still argue with my peoples to this day that Crank Dat Soulja Boy is a legitimate hip hop song cuz it incorporates dancing, it's just not in late 70s-80s tradition. Sheeit, twerk videos is still hip hop to me... granted it's raunchy and may not show the better side of human psychology, but it's still a culture and both sides of the gender fence seem to enjoy it, so screw it. I feel like hip hop moves as the people move, and whether it's Adidas sweatsuits and backspinnin on cardboard or skinny jeans and doin the dougie, it's all part of the culture.

BTW, if you never seen subway dancers, it's actually fun to watch unless you're in a packed train bout to get kicked in the mouth. They got different groups, but I forgot their names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHjp9S3DSZM
  • GovernmentCheese
    @Sion

I get his point too but change is inevitable. Get with the times or get left behind.

He didn't explain it right so it just sounded silly instead. Breakdancing is a major aspect in Hip Hop culture but Flav really showed his age with that statement.
  • dollarandadream
    dollarandadream Members Posts: 236
    Man Flavor Flav can get the ? ... Never mind
  • GovernmentCheese
    edited August 2013
    Imagine girls breakdancing instead of twerking when they hear a song they like.

fTyOfpu.gif
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    I guess the question i'm asking myself is when did we turn into a society that gets all up at arms about someone having an opinion that's outside the norm or the unpolitically correct thing to say. You've see people complaining about how Hip Hop aint the same for years... ? Nas even dropped a ? album called Hip Hop is dead.. we all know that Hip Hop is a different machine now and some of the purist don't really jive with the new era.. I will say that real Hip Hop isn't as abundant as it once was but it is still out there.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twerking = hip hop

The culture is alive and well.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is right
    I would like some executioners robb swifft type albums sometimes.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twerking = hip hop

The culture is alive and well.

It s low grade hip hop bruh ...
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P. Town wrote: »
    Bruh...this ? Flavor Flav had 2 seasons of a show with 40 bad ? and end up on Couple's Therapy trying to work out his relationship with the prom fiend

3 seasons
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    jono wrote: »
    Damn, so dudes just jumped right in with the ad hominem tactics huh?

It's hard no to...it's ? Flava Flav B

09flav.1.jpg

Look at this ? ?

wat.gif

Bruh ...

5147f56ae8f811e2aad522000aeb0df6_7.jpg
    5147f56ae8f811e2aad522000aeb0df6_7.jpg
    8e8c95fae9ea11e29a6e22000a1fab27_7.jpg

87b21cd4e7fe11e2b23122000a1f98cf_7.jpg
    70a6cb76e80c11e2a73b22000aa80571_7.jpg

not to mention he had the chance to straighten up and wife this while she was still lookin for "the ladder"

instead he ends up with ivan drago's sloppy seconds?? ... and dont get me posting pics of bucky
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    He does have a point tho, when was the last time you've seen a bunch of black kids breakdancing ? Or people doing grafitti ? The only area he's wrong is with the music component but remember Hip-Hop is a culture not just limited to music. The music was just a form of expression. The aforementioned artists transcended Hip-Hop into Pop music for dollars and commercial appeal which is exactly what we hear now and as a result, certain elements of the culture weren't so lucky in the transitioning as they simply weren't as profitable.

I get what he's saying but I felt he dropped the ball in not explaining it well. Hip-Hop's musical component went to the moon but the other ? these ? are doing arguably isn't Hip-Hop. Also b/c of who it is and his history history with drugs, ? are quick to dismiss him w/o thinking about it. If you young you won't understand, if you older you'll feel what he's saying. We went from breakdancing to twerk videos, grafitti to stereotypical internet memes ("? be like...."), rappers wearing skirts and rap music being a laughable career choice for people wanting to get out the hood (which contradicts part of Hip-Hop's goal). At the same time tho it's sort of the old school's fault for not properly grooming the new generation, it sorta was and wasn't their fault tho. Today many don't even own their own music and are broke b/c of shady label practices.

Rap MUSIC has come along way but the rest of the culture hasn't been so fortunate.

Iuno just my 2 cents, it really can go both ways tho....

*has never been in an NYC subway post*

Dead ass tho, every time them kids get on the train, turn on the boombox and start spinning on poles I wanna punch one of them ? in the face for almost kicking me. But yeah, I dunno about other places, but dancing in general is still big in NY, though dancing for the most part has been clowned for the past decade. I still argue with my peoples to this day that Crank Dat Soulja Boy is a legitimate hip hop song cuz it incorporates dancing, it's just not in late 70s-80s tradition. Sheeit, twerk videos is still hip hop to me... granted it's raunchy and may not show the better side of human psychology, but it's still a culture and both sides of the gender fence seem to enjoy it, so screw it. I feel like hip hop moves as the people move, and whether it's Adidas sweatsuits and backspinnin on cardboard or skinny jeans and doin the dougie, it's all part of the culture.

BTW, if you never seen subway dancers, it's actually fun to watch unless you're in a packed train bout to get kicked in the mouth. They got different groups, but I forgot their names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHjp9S3DSZM

maaaaaan ? det ? i couldnt live in new york, ? ? around and kick my mama in the leg im ? ? up

you will get yo ass beat to sleep in the south you goin to jail ?
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P. Town wrote: »
    Bruh...this ? Flavor Flav had 2 seasons of a show with 40 bad ? and end up on Couple's Therapy trying to work out his relationship with the prom fiend

YO! I thought I was the only one that noticed that ? , she looks rough as hell in the face she kind of reminds me of how Amy Winehouse looked before she passed.

This ? let Hoopz and Deelishis slip thru his fingers to stay with the ? user looking chick and apparently they were still dating when he was doing the shows lol.
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ? trying to put hip hop in a tiny ass box. He need to chill out alot of these older generattion ? can't be satisfied cause they be bitter as ? that they time gone or that ? isn't exactly like it was when they were young. They complain about a lot of the current artist when they probably haven't even listened to like three songs from the ? . You gotta respect time ? changes, everybody can't sound like a straight out the nineties ? like Joey Badass. That ? is they savior lol.
  • G.Avant
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    G.Avant wrote: »
    G.Avant wrote: »
    This ? is illogical on so many different levels I'm not even gonna try to actually break down the ? I disagree with. So I'm just gonna call this ? a lil ugly ass ? . Homie looking like a charbroiled gremlin and ? foh

Why u nosigning me son? U think ? more ? than this ugly lil ? ?

Money or not, this ? looks like the perfect description of that spot behind my nuts nh.

And the fact that he has ? more bad ? and tocuhed more money by being P.E. gimmick mascot and also bein able to spend more money on ? that ive ever touched proves that something is wrong with society.

It was actually a wack not a no sign. I get what you trying to say now though, but quit tripping over reactions bruh, this ? is about as real as a thousand dollar bill. Aint nobody getting paid off of this ? .

bro take that ? out your sig. get over it. yall aint ? with the ville. and i wacked you for the sig. da ville. teddy heisman for heisman.

? how you gone wack me for a sig though lol. And yall about to come back to earth this year anyway bruh.
  • G.Avant
    Yo somebody come through and define "real hip hop" for me.