Have you ever changed someone's perspective on stereotypes?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in The Social Lounge
For example a boss who thinks people like you aren't hard working, or a neighbor who thinks people like you are doing something illegal, or someone in a store who thinks people like you are untrustworthy theives?

Or is it that no matter what you do, people will always treat you the way "people like you" deserve to be treated based on those same stereotypes you've disproven?

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? wanted a panasonic, i told him to get a jvc
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude I used to work with was a self proclaimed racist and said he didn't like black people outside of the guys he worked with he felt all black people were troublemakers.
    Normally I'd ? dude and leave it at that, but me and him were cool cause he set me up with some work and I didn't really he believe he was racist since we would hang oit with no issues he was just misguided... also this dude is like 6'9 350lbs so I came at him with logic.
    Asked him how many black people he knew. He said only dudes that hes worked at clubs with so probably around 12-15. Then I asked how many of them he was legitimate friends with. He said about 10. Then asked him if he ever had any problems with the others. He said no he just didn't work with them long enough to get to know them.
    So I broke it down for him that if every black person he's gotten to know personally is solid and he has ended up calling most of them his friend and none of them are trouble makers then wouldn't it stand to chance if he took the time to get to know more black people on that level that he would most likely come across the same results? He was like "yeah I guess so".
    I was like "your not a big racist your just big and stupid."
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah first black man to skate board have a lebrae im talking 98 listen to rage against the machine wayyyy before this poser ? mxpx punk str8 edge ?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think I have, but honestly can't remember a time when I tried. A lot of people are idiots and I don't have enough patience. People be too stuck in their ways for me to really give a damn.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stereotypes are for the foolish, you learn this as you gain wisdom. You need to understand who each and every person you encountered on their own works, not on their background they had no choice in gaining.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    frostyicy wrote: »
    I'm a 27 year old black man, no kids, no criminal record, good credit, went to college, in graduate school, working in the professional world with dreadlocks.

I break stereotypes everyday.

And you lived past 25
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is that possible? People that believe in stereotypes are too far gone already.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hooked up with this white girl and she looked at my junk and was like... "is that all?"

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stereotypical responses
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always find myself being the token black guy. The one black guy that the country white guys say, " Let me ask him why do black people do _____?"

Actually that ? has really opened my eyes to how white people truly have questioned. They ask me to ask them anything. I always tell them, "I dont stereotype so I know you truly dont have the answer I need to know." They never get the irony.

Something else I my wife calls me "white boy" when she was the one that grew up like the Huxtables. My life was more like "The Corner".
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I'm a 27 year old black man, no kids, no criminal record, good credit, went to college, in graduate school, working in the professional world with dreadlocks.

None of this is impressive.

...SMH @ dudes getting hype over normal ? .
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably because most of the whites I work with like me

But honestly I don't know...because IDGAF what they think
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was disgusting seeing Republicans pay tribute to Thurman after his death... his daughter should have outed him while he lived
    I think all Africans can run hours without stopping
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LOL, please.

You're doing ? you're supposed to be doing.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At a grappling tournament some dude thought I was just a wrestler. I pulled gaurd and arm barred his ass lol.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T/S, its not a stereotype, it a fact that you are a wack poster
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    i've had a few people make some wild assumptions about me based on appearance, get to know me, and realize they were quite wrong with said assumptions. so hopefully this has had some lasting affect on their social outlook(s)

consider this striking a blow for racial harmony
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had to show a friend how to roll a blunt right, his ? fell out the blunt and had runners. This happens a lot, I just happen to roll like a champ "? a color". EL's, Swisher, Dutches, ect.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No I only confirm them
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dealt with it on race, but outside of race on other stereotypes I've heard some pretty stupid stuff when people let you know what they used to think about you and people like you and what they think when they get to know you. I really don't put any energy in trying to change people's minds. As a matter of fact I get a kick out of sometime reinforcing their ignorances by playing characters and making up ignorant stuff to talk about at the job with friends or when I think somebody else is listening; so that when they over hear my fictitious conversation they think to themselves "I knew he was this way." Nother note, You gotta be blind to not see what people think about you (and I've seen some people that are blind) and try to whisper about you (not knowing their words get back to you). Again, I ain't talking race. I'd gladly talk about it, but others on here already done it. I'm talking stupid stuff that men under 5'8 after hear that is laughable and just down right ignorant and no matter how many times you have examples of it being wrong they still feel that way, but nonetheless a stereotype that many women will get on and do truly believe.
    This make me think of Eminem on this one: "I am whatever you say I am, if I wasn't then why..."