Drake is the closest thing to the Anakin Skywalker of rap......

Options
Knives Amilli
Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Reason
*yes nerdy star wars premise*

But he will never fulfill his "destiny" of bringing "balance" to the force/game. He's already too far gone (no pun intended). Drake has said before that he won't be that rapper talking about a generic struggle he's never been through, and I respect that. However, a refusal to comment on the world at large, ESPECIALLY IN HIP HOP where Blk. artists were the only voices for young Black folk, will ultimately hurt your legacy.

Drake's music is honest enough, don't get me wrong, but it comes off as an "easy"sell. We live in an era where people now more than ever live vicariously through celebrities. Drake's music is so in demand because he's able to channel the emotions of new found fame and its repercussions through his lyrics. Its the closest thing to living the life that most people will experience. Is it no wonder it is the soundtrack of the social networking generation?

I think there's a certain sect that wonders why MBDTF got the accolades it deserves. IMO? MBDTF commented on a HUGE multitude of everyday topics without beating you over the head with anvilicious messages. Lupe Fiasco does this pretty well (for the most part at least) also by often time using complex allusions and metaphors as placeholders for sociopolitical topics.

Thats how commenting on society should be done without boring your audience to death. And the next great rapper will have to learn how to do that AND be the hitmakers Drake and Kanye West are (and for the record, Ye isnt the "Chosen One" because he's a decent rapper at best who know if hes even written his best written songs).

J. Cole IMO gets the disdain he gets because HE COULD BE THAT GUY. If he had charisma, a narrative, and drive/vision beyond just "being in the game", and just a little more creativity , he could do it as well. But thats too much to ask for so t'll prolly never happen.

Id say we're closer now more than ever to seeing that person who can impress the hip hop heads with lyricism, comment on the state of the world without being preachy, and make the hits "for the ? "...It'll just take an attentive person who wants it enough and is brave enough to take chances.

Comments