Which Team Has Had Better Storylines Avengers or JLA?

Options
Ghost Leopard
Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm saying JLA just off the strength I read more graphic novels about the jla.

Your opinion list your faves.

Favorite jla book got to be tower of babel

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I enjoy JLA more
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Haven't regularly read an Avengers comic since Avengers Disassembled. Tried to give New Avengers a shot during it's beginnings and it just wasn't for me like most of Bendis' superhero works.

I don't know where The Avengers books have headed since then but NA arguably finally made the group popular and gave their books the sales that they never had before so there's likely more variety in Avengers runs today than there was 10 years ago. Where as before they were kind of a niche property even amongst the comic book reading community. The most notable & memorable Avengers runs I could think of were by Kurt Busiek, Roger Stern, David Michelinie, Jim Shooter and the original Stan Lee run.

Justice League on the other hand has had more runs that are very definitive & iconic amongst comic book fan circles. Particularly the works of Gardner Fox, Cary Bates, Grant Morrison, Keith Giffen and J.M. Dematteis & Mark Waid. I've enjoyed all those as well as runs by Joe Kelly, Roger Stern (yep him again), Karl Kesel, Brad Meltzer and Judd Winnick. I'm also finally starting to enjoy Johns' current run with this Trinity War arc after being very indifferent about it for almost 2 years.

So I guess JL gets my vote because I've enjoyed more JL runs than Avengers ones. Still this is a lot closer than most would care to admit. Especially if you were to factor post-New Avengers stories which again I am highly unfamiliar with but I wouldn't doubt that there were some gems here and there somewhere in there.

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Avengers per- Bendis

Who had some really great and compelling stories

just they never had the sells

so Marvel went and got the Michael Bay of comics to give the sells a boost
    even as the stories sucked and made no sense

his style just doesn't look in team books like this
    the long winded idiotic nonsensical banter............smh
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If more was done with the black characters, Luke Cage, Black Panther, Blue Marvel. I would go with the avengers but other than the Lady Panther storyline and Black Panther, I haven't seen any other development so I'm gonna go with Justice League.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was a good story for both teams.

5178VY49G4L.jpg
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JLA books are events avengers books are all over the place and a large percentage of them suck
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    In my opinon, Avengers hasn't been ? since Kurt Busiek was writing it. Jon Hickman right now is doing some epic ? with the title, restoring the Avengers to a team that should only be fighting/involved in some major league, universe changing shenanigans. But even then, I cant make a proper assessment until Hickman is finished.

So ima go with JLA. I will go on record saying that while all I know of JLA is the Morrison/Waid/Kelly era; I still can confidently say that era>>>>>better or on par with any superhero team era.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when an event involving the justice league happens, you know that ? will matter in the long run. The events leading up to the infinite crisis were referencing events from years back. Avengers are always just part of ? thats pretty much forgotten in 6 months. How + why exactly did Cap forgive Iron Man for that Civil War thing again?
  • Ghost Leopard
    Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really feel likewise. Jla events just seem to have such far reaching consequences while avengers books and marvel events just seem like that thing for the year. Marvel just doesn't feel as epic and it should.

Probably the reason for that is dc successfully incorporates a lot of off cosmic characters into the earth bound stories.

gl stories alone ? on marvel cosmic stories. Hopefully this hunger event will rectify that.

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marvel has ruined their company wide storylines with nonsense..Siege, Fear Itself, Age of Ultron, etc..have been bad. Civil War was good but prior to that, only the Annihilation series was any good..back in the day though, Marvel had great stories. DC has similar issues too, with the Rainbow color corps, Emperor Joker, although that wasn't that bad. I don't really count the crisis storylines since they are reboots of the universe and is just resetting the status quo. There were many comic heads ? about the whole new 52 take, but hey, its DC. This is what they do..One good thing about the new52 is that they tried to bring back obscure characters/books. While some didn't last, it' was still good to see that exposure.. Marvel hasn't done a reboot until this Marvel Now push. Let's see where it goes..I already see Thor has become a casualty of bad writing. These new breed of writers have completely forgotten his powerset
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marvel has apparently forgotten character power sets AND continuity.

Marvel needs to bring back the No Prize. I'd set a record in winning them, cuz I'd point out a million and one continuity discrepancies in AvX alone.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gotta go with JLA on this one. The Avengers stories just seem boring and non-interesting