anyone else checking for Dragon's Crown?

Options
earth two superman
earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in IllGaming
DrgCrwPS3Rp-610x701.jpg

I don't usually check for these ? -influenced games, but this one's been sold out all over Japan and making noise here too. Made by Atlus so you know they have credentials to make a good game. And it's supposedly a side scroller Golden Axe-type game . Coming out for Vita too. Unfortunately, not a cross buy though.

Comments

• earth two superman
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmq2dNzOG4\

Looks pretty good. Supposedly ? use this game to show off their HDTV
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah i'm gonna pick it up next month
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    damn this looks dope I thought this was gonna be and rpg. I might have right the description wrong on the PS store but ill ? with this tho.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    i thought it was an rpg too. its closer to scott pilgrim or the old golden axe games though.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Atlus always bring niche releases i always check for every single thing they bring out...correct me if im wrong i don't think Atlus had much a hand in developing this (its developed by Vanillaware.), they must've let Atlus handle publishing this time for better distribution and marketing?

Vanillaware = straight Beastmode. Crushing the buildings with straight 2-D releases looking like playable Disney cartoons, they make some of the other developer behemoths look terrible as f. and lazy.
    Been down with the team since i first peeped their style on the Odin's Sphere release. Got both Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire and the only reason I don't have Demon Blade is cuz I dont have a Wii.

Grabbing 2 copies of Princess Crown on release day just off the strength of their other 4 previous titles.. even minus the strength of the previous 4 i'd still be grabbing 2 copies of this release off strength of the graphics alone. Im completely biased tho
  • earth two superman
    Options
    i heard good things about grim grimoire. i think its on psn now.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll probably pick it up.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm coppin it for my vita
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm coppin it for my vita
    Same here since both this and Tales ofXillia comes out next week and ToX is for the PS3.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i thought it was an rpg too. its closer to scott pilgrim or the old golden axe games though.

It's a beat em up style with rpg elements. The game will take 20 hours to beat with each character.

Some of the same people that made D&D: Tower of Doom/Shadow over Mystara worked on this.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    if i really like it, I'll pick it up for the Vita down the line. As of right now, since it can't cross play ps3/vita, I'm getting it for the console.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    When Dragon's Crown launches on August 6, some DLC will let you swap out the stock narration for a mouthpiece centered on one of the game's classes: Amazon, Dwarf, Elf, Fighter, Sorceress, and Wizard. The DLC will be a free download at first and cost $1.99 after the first month.

Dragon's Crown is a side-scrolling action game that sports multiplayer elements and a controversial art style. It's currently in development at Vanillaware for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are menu screens on ? games always dog ? ?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What business does a dragon have with a crown though?
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's a beat em up style with rpg elements. The game will take 20 hours to beat with each character.

Some of the same people that made D&D: Tower of Doom/Shadow over Mystara worked on this.

good drop.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE VERDICT

Dragon’s Crown is about to put Vanillaware on the map. Whether on PlayStation 3 or PS Vita, it’s an enjoyable and deep old-school romp with an incredible amount of charm and an even higher amount of replay value. The experience is virtually identical on PS3 and Vita, but if you absolutely, positively only want to buy one, I’d go for the PlayStation 3 version, as its chaotic action is more readable and better appreciated on the big screen.

While it’s puzzling why Dragon’s Crown is only cross-save and not cross-buy or cross-play, that doesn’t reduce its astounding production values and addictive gameplay. It’s incredible that something this good almost never came out, but it was absolutely worth the wait.

8.5 GREAT
    Whether on PS3 or Vita, Dragon’s Crown is a gorgeous and rewarding action-RPG that was well worth the wait.

+Stunning graphics
    +Atmospheric soundtrack
    +Fun, diverse gameplay
    +Deep loot & upgrades
    – Story gets in the way
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll be getting it for the Vita.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reminds me of the Dungeon Fighter online so I have to buy it
  • satyrone
    Options
    Anyone cop this yet?i copped but im way early in the game ill give thoughts later today
  • earth two superman
    Options
    just dl'ed it but I wont have time to play until tonight or tomorrow.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Game is tight combat wise and the animation is really well done.I like the level up system the use of the lock picker picking up sub weapons (flame thrower is GOAT) and picking items out of the environment.Only played a few dungeons but I like it.I need someone to run with in coop but I heard you have to beat the game first to use online.Had to get the PS3 version since I could not find it gor the vita.
  • satyrone
    Options
    Game is tight combat wise and the animation is really well done.I like the level up system the use of the lock picker picking up sub weapons (flame thrower is GOAT) and picking items out of the environment.Only played a few dungeons but I like it.I need someone to run with in coop but I heard you have to beat the game first to use online.Had to get the PS3 version since I could not find it gor the vita.

Yea i agree i really like the animation. Controls could have been a lil bit tighter but its a real dope game ill prolly be on this and ducktales heavy this weekend
  • earth two superman
    Options
    game is definitely good. hope it does well enough to get a next gen sequel.