tumblr_mri2jsQpZQ1qhjbxeo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mri2jsQpZQ1qhjbxeo2_500.jpg

Yall agree.

Comments

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    i remember this reddit post. it comes down to M being backed by Disney, who has a universe of talking cars and monsters and toys (and arguably the best Superhero movie of all time, the Incredibles), and lets Marvel go ? out and be as crazy with their ideas as they want. Look at the tone of Marvel's Marvel movies and compare them to Sony's/Fox's/etc Marvel movies. The Xmen flicks and the spider-mans have more in common with DC's flicks than the Avengers.

DC, being backed by WB, is always trying to make that classy, serious superhero flick. Maybe because they want the movie that could win awards, maybe they dont think they can replicate the original Superman, maybe they're scared from previous light hearted, not serious flicks about superheroes. Warner Bros doesnt even like fully using the franchises THEY own. (when was the last time you saw any good movie associated with Bugs, Daffy etc) It seems they understand television and animation better, which is why DC animation continues to slaughter the competition after 20+ years.

But unless something drastic happens and WB lets DC find its own movie studio like Marvel has, it'll be tough for DC to bring a movie about a team like Guardians of the Galaxy to screen. Green Lantern tried it, but it was such a mess that of course, they tried to make it too serious and take away the time in space, which a good GL movie should be 90% of. Why the ? do I wanna see Hal Jordan at a bar or attending a fundraiser for some ? ? ? . I want to see alien races. I want to hear a ring talking. I want to see Sinestro as a BAD GUY, and not a oh ? is he a bad guy now end credits scene. Hopefully theyll take it in a new direction with the JL. Superman, as depressing as it was in some spots, like I mentioned in the MoS thread, at least made it look fun to be Superman at times. And Ben Affleck comes off more as a Batman leading the charge against Darkseid or Starro than Bale could.

who knows, maybe DC will be bought out by Dreamworks someday and our kids' kids will get the truly great DC movies.

strange too, since in comics, its DC who pulls off the crazy ideas, and its DC who builds better continuity among its universe, and connects characters to characters and events. In the movies its Marvel doing all that.

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I could break down the entire real story as to why WB has put out these type of DC Comics based movies but that would be a long post.

Bottom line is it's Jeff Robinov's fault and he's no longer at the studio. They kicked him out. Hence a push for a united universe to rival or even surpass Marvel's because they will have team up movies or deeper cameos. By the same token I think there have been much better movies based on DC published properties (A History of Violence. Road to Perdition, The Dark Knight, V for Vendetta) than most of the ones based on Marvel published books within the past 10 years. There's just been no organization till now.