Nintendo announces 2DS

Karl.
Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Karl.
    edited August 2013
    For those who can't see the vid. It's basically a slate design rather than a clamshell and it plays all 3D games in 2D.

Basically a flat 3DS with the 3D slider turned right down.

http://youtu.be/vL6Br5HS9Qk
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why is nintendo wasting money
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »

well there is a number of fans out there that dont use the 3d effect because it drains the battery....this might be the answer.....i say dont doubt nintendo when it comes to this handheld ?
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i can see why they would do this from a moral perspective... 3d is horrible for developing eyes, and the amount of hours that kids play those can be harmful in the long run... as for the slate design i cant cosign that, but i respect it
  • Karl.
    Meroe wrote: »
    i can see why they would do this from a moral perspective... 3d is horrible for developing eyes, and the amount of hours that kids play those can be harmful in the long run... as for the slate design i cant cosign that, but i respect it

As long as they have your respect nothing else matters.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're investing in this because there is a market for this.
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Sion wrote: »
    Bad investment on Nintendo's part IMO, and if they're trying to create a cheaper alternative to the 3DS what's the point when the after-market for used 3DS is only going to grow and get cheaper with the arrival of 3DS XLs, one of a kind 3DS bundles and just time passing by ? SMMFH, they could have put the money towards something much more productive with better short and long term prospects.

Nintendo need to start building the Miiverse compatibility with the 3DS so they can build a platform for content not hardware. Cuz that's where gaming is going to eventually go.

Because not everybody wants to play these games in 3D and risk a lower battery life than something with no 3D features at all, even with the slider off.

I do think they could do a better job with the Miiverse concept but building a platform for lots of content is what their eShop is all about in the first place. Lots of independent gems on there already.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    i say dont doubt nintendo when it comes to this handheld ?

Yea. Why anyone would do this is beyond me.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »

I believe the market is too small for such an investment when those resources could be going to more profitable developments, i don't think the target demographic will want this.
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Broddie wrote: »

I believe the market is too small for such an investment when those resources could be going to more profitable developments, i don't think the target demographic will want this.

Because you're assuming they will mass produce this on the level of the 3DS. They won't. This is made for a niche audience and will be distributed and marketed accordingly.

"those resources could be going to more profitable developments"

Like what? every department in a company has an allocated budget. Those "profitable developments" already have theirs. Nintendo does enough R&D especially with the handheld market to know when they should supply for certain demand. They wouldn't be making this if they weren't sure there was an audience out there for it.
  • Karl.
    Yea I don't think this venture will cost them much money.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What money ..... same 3DS platform without the 3D screen
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think its kinda cool honestly
  • CraigMakaveli
    CraigMakaveli Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    Gameboy back Gameboy back got the hole world yellin Gameboy back.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nintendo still on that ? .