March On Washington 50th Anniversary: How Much Has Black Life Really Changed Since 1963?

Options
Undergroundraplegend
Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
With Jim Crow segregation, voting discrimination and rampant joblessness not yet in rear view, 1963 was a tough time to be black in America.

In January, Alabama governor George C. Wallace would defiantly proclaim in his inaugural speech: "Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever!," sending a wave of intolerance across the south that would lead to the death of four young girls at Birmingham's 16th Street Baptist Church and the shooting death of civil rights activist Medgar Evers at his home in Jackson, Mississippi later that year.

And though there were bright spots -- African-American student Harvey Gantt entering Clemson University in South Carolina, the last U.S. state to hold out against racial integration, and James Meredith becoming the first black person to graduate from Ole Miss -- it would be a while before true change would come (as soul singer Sam Cooke's 1963-inspired hit proclaimed).

But has it?

By some estimates, no, with African Americans only barely better off in the war on poverty and imprisonment that pervades the news today. By other summations, the black community is leaps and bounds beyond where it was back in 1963.

As we acknowledge the anniversary of the 1963 March On Washington For Jobs & Freedom, a rally with parallel issues in mind, the Huffington Post has laid out a look at black life then and now to help you decide.

2013_08_MarchOnWashington_0

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/23/march-on-washington-infographic_n_3794682.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

what do you guys think.

Comments

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crackas gonna ?
  • Undergroundraplegend
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Crackas gonna ?

is the picture that I posted working to show the ?

I cant tell.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Options
    The ? is this honkie @vibe nosiging me for asking a question.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's an answer to your question, stop swimming in your feelings.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    edited August 2013
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    It's an answer to your question, stop swimming in your feelings.

typing a one word response as simple as ''No.'' must have been hard to do instead huh.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Options
    someone mind posting up the pic instead The Computer Im using I cant do anything .
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    well, I can ? in the same toilet as a white man now
  • spkvisuals
    spkvisuals Members Posts: 9
    Options
    it's gotten better just as it's gotten worse.....I mean we still aren't "equal" to "other" American citizens. The Trayvon Martin trial should have opened your eyes to that. However, The African American man is still the most feared and adored person on the planet. The powers that be are just "subtle" now with their prejudices and they are a little more contrived and thought out. For example, white kids can go to HBCU's for free because they are the "minority". Another form of racism is the propoganda that the different media outlets use to portray African Americans. For example, "Faux News". I could go on all day with examples........
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First of all, I want to thank Dr. King, Rosa Parks, Malcolm, Muhammad Eli, Huey (and the rest of the Panthers,) Jackie Robinson, Larry Doby, men of color that went an fought in America's wars to fight for the freedom and liberation of other people, (despite not being free and liberated in their native land,) and even Jesse Jackson's punk ass for standing up, and putting their ? on line so a ? could have get out here and try and have something in 2013.

The thing is through progress has been made, we have a people have managed to regress, not due to machinations of an "evil white man," but due to the fact we as a people (across the board,) continue to indulge in dump ? ? , whether it's boys and young men thinking they're going to become the living embodiment of a Rick Ross song, black people continuing with their healthy diets, not taking education seriously, using drugs cause Lil Wayne and Mac Dre said it was cool to do so, and black women feeling as if it's post apocalytic Earth, and they have to procreate with any and everybody, to black women spending billions of dollars with muthafuckas of another race, who don't like them, in an effort to put somebody else's hair in their head. We have to stop this ? .

We've achieved the integration part, but in rush to go be with white people, we completely and totally forgot about maintaining an educated, socially, politically, and economically vibrant and healthy community. What part of the game is that? In that respect, we all of let Dr. King down, and have collectively ? on his legacy.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smEqnnklfYs

At 3:00 P.M., fifty years ago the greatest speech in the history of United States of America was given.