Would you support your child if...

Billy_Poncho
Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
they came to you saying they seriously wanted to be a professional athlete or entertainer? Would you send your child to the best acting schools and sports camps to help his/her dream? Considering the enourmously steep odds of becoming an athlete or entertainer, would you steer your child in another, more traditional direction?

Would you support your child if... 46 votes

Yes, I'd fully support their dream, whatever it is
89%
Dupacnawledge_godKaiMsSouthernKnock_Twicepowerman 5000dnyce215kzzlmryounggunVIBEMax.Playa PlayaBodhiBussy_Getta Ajackson177figzCrude_numbaz...80's babyDarcSkiesYoung Gunner 41 votes
No, I'd rather them choose a more secure profession
10%
obnoxiouslyfreshqtipp73Serious Juice MayneAZTGniggasthesedays 5 votes

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id be joe jackson
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd support my child with whatever dream they have, but I'd also be very realistic with them.

I'd explain to my child while their chances of becoming a pro athlete, actor, or entertainer are possible they are highly unlikely given the statistics.

I'd explain to them I will support them in their dream, but we will have a back up plan.

They would need to go to college and double major in something else in addition to their dream or they could learn a technical skill that could possibly support them if their dream doesn't materialize or happen as quick as they would have thought.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He/she wont need a sports camp if they have the potential to become a professional athlete.

AAU and a decent coach is all they need.

(unless it's some niche sport)
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope. the folks that make it always have stories of "doubters" (or haters as you all may call them)

? around and mold your child into be a professional athlete and they gonna end up with an entitlement attitude and be like jimmy clausen or makulleigh Culkin
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoldChild wrote: »
    He/she wont need a sports camp if they have the potential to become a professional athlete.

These top level camps sometimes aren't so much about improvement as they are about exposure to recruiters/scouts.
  • Crude_
    CC_Poncho wrote: »
    BoldChild wrote: »

These top level camps sometimes aren't so much about improvement as they are about exposure to recruiters/scouts.

Cosign, unless you are a star player or a very skilled player who hadn't been noticed yet AAU is a waste of time.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd actually support my child if they wanted to become a kicker. them dudes rarely get hurt and can play into their 40's sometimes. If he could nail 50 yarders or coffin corner a few punts, then i'd probably take him out of school to work at that full time.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be the case for football, but I know plenty of people who got recruited based off ? they did in AAU and HS. If you perform, they will come.

Once they get recruited to college, they just gotta perform.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that children are the future so really all you can do is just teach them well and let them lead the way.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *voted yes just based on the thread title*

After actually reading the thread...hell yes. Why wouldn't you?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all i wanna do is parent greatness, so whatever he wanna do, as long as he's great i'm happy
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    This is a "keep it real" subject and alot I mean alot of parents need to take a stance

If I know my son or daughter is trying to be and get to the next level in whatever profession...take basketball..and I've been to several games..from ? wee..middle school..high school..and I'm sitting in the stands and watching him and I know..truly I know dude or girl sucks..well I shouldn't say suck..but he or she is the 9th player coming off the bench....no..that dream is not happening...no we having a sit down...Son/daughter..you're not that good and I think you need to put your energy into something more realistic that you can be good at...sounds mean but it has to come a time when we as 'parents' should know "hey son..put that ball down and pick up that application"
  • Crude_
    @Knock_Twice that's some real ? .

Parents need to let them know when its actually a realistic chance as opposed to chasing wet dreams.
  • Knock_Twice
    I understand wanting the best for you child..but man come on...some wont make it...and you know at an early stage if she or he isn't good enough....That's how our community is setup..we think everybody is good...white folks look at things different..if they know they aint good...the kid and the parents both have that understanding that "these grades are what's going to get me this job at this company being VP of marketing" not black folks..we'll ride this 'making it to the pro lane the ? out' some ? you just have to let go and understand you wont get to that level..and we blacks don't grasp that concept very well..
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll support them if they have the actual talent and drive to accomplish this goal of theirs, but if they don't I'll have to see what talents they are better suited in. But in being a job or career in a place you have no talent or drive is the worst. It literally breaks you.
  • Knock_Twice

Parents need to let them know when its actually a realistic chance as opposed to chasing wet dreams.

Man..I be trying to tell these lil youngstas around my way..and I go to these games cuz I ref..and I see whose good and whose ? and it's like I can tell by looking at the parent..."oh she really think this lil nga or girl will make it"
    I do white schools too and I look in the stands and the ? players and the good ones and it's like "they know this is just a 'sport' to them..they aint trying to make this outta no career..they have goals set to become something else...and it's just not there in our community..we put too much into sports/rapping and ? ...it's crazy man..
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to be sure they really want it though. No way they're going to get me to invest all of that and then turn around and say they want to study liberal arts or some ? .
  • Sicky Mouse
    Sicky Mouse Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    i would support them if i either saw great potential in them or they were 100% motivated and put 100% into it. after watching my little brother play then quit football, basketball, baseball and soccer all before completing a single season, i'll be a little bit more wary of shelling out the cash.
  • Crude_

Man..I be trying to tell these lil youngstas around my way..and I go to these games cuz I ref..and I see whose good and whose ? and it's like I can tell by looking at the parent..."oh she really think this lil nga or girl will make it"
    I do white schools too and I look in the stands and the ? players and the good ones and it's like "they know this is just a 'sport' to them..they aint trying to make this outta no career..they have goals set to become something else...and it's just not there in our community..we put too much into sports/rapping and ? ...it's crazy man..

This ? is damn near sig worthy especially the bolded.

You ? in here with kids should take note.

Groom those kids up to run a business, be an attorney, teach, get in the medical field, etc.

That pro athlete and entertainment ? rarely pans out.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    I'm already raising a future Heisman winner .....
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LONG AS I CAN AFFORD IT.. WHY NO???
  • Crude_
    MsSouthern wrote: »

Just make sure he has a back up plan for when his playing days are over whether he's pro material or not.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    MsSouthern wrote: »

Just make sure he has a back up plan for when his playing days are over whether he's pro material or not.

Already

He wants to be a EMT/fireman and design his own t-shirt line

• Knock_Twice
    edited August 2013

This ? is damn near sig worthy especially the bolded.

You ? in here with kids should take note.

Groom those kids up to run a business, be an attorney, teach, get in the medical field, etc.

That pro athlete and entertainment ? rarely pans out.

And what they don't tell you is..it's only a few that actually makin serious money in those arenas..lol...the 12th man is sitting at 250,000 I think that's league min...but ? you aint promised a 12th spot the next season neither lol..bruh or the 53rd man on that roster is making the NFL min...and again..you could be quickly be sent down to the practice squad and then cut..now you back at home..local hometown hero with nothing but a year in the pros to talk about out there playin flag football wit my sad ass lol...it's a ton of ngas here like that...smh.. lol