This is war (NSFW)

Maalik
Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Very graphic:

I've been reading and hearing a lot of cheerleading lately about war. I've had to see things like this up close and personal. I've had to shoot people. I was also wounded during my first of two combat deployments. I'm honestly not saying this because of any narcissistic attempt at glorification. My message is not about pacifism, because I am not a pacifist, and I am certainly not making a full judgment on all wars. I'm not a person that advocates non-violence at every turn, and I think violence can be a solution. I'm merely trying to give you a glimpse of what people go through. It isn't just a statistic on a screen or piece of paper. There are real human elements and sometimes even I forget that, though I've been in it myself.

As hard as it is, sometimes we can't lose focus that this isn't a game of chess. I have no issues with grown men who willfully engage in combat to meet such demise, but there are peripheral victims in warfare. Videos like this provide a earnest and painful look into what happens.

As I grow older, and time widens the gap between the present and my experiences, as well as now being a father, I can't help but be sad and emotional over not only this video, but the memories that linger in my mind of what I witnessed.

As the war in Syria (or conflicts around the world) continue, realize that even military acts or interventions you deem noble or necessary are bound to incur further casualties of children. Take that into consideration always. It's hard to lose sight of that, and I'm the first one to admit that sometimes I do.

Just my two cents.

Comments